To Vista or not to Vista ?

pascal

Veteran
Hello

Just bought new CPU/Mobo/Memory (still waiting it) and thinking what OS to use.
I will use it mainly for SOHO, Photoshop, Video editing, HTPC, casual gaming (mainly FPS).

I know some of you already have a mature/practical opinion about Vista pros and cons. Then my question: should I keep the Windows XP Pro or should I go Vista? Why?

My new configuration:
- Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
- 2GB DDR2 800MHz
- Asus P5K
- GF 8600GT
- DVDRW

Thanks a lot :)

Not. :yep2:

EDITED BITS: Oh, the why? Ask yourself this question, "Do I want to game with my PC?"; if yes, you don't want Vista yet. ;)

I have Vista Business on my notebook and I find it quite good.
It's on par with XP except you have to disable quite a few stuff.

Little nitpicks:
It tries too hard to have a Linux security model.
Some games are required to be run under admin mode to be able to change settings (i.e. Angband).

I have Vista Business on my notebook and I find it quite good.
It's on par with XP except you have to disable quite a few stuff.

Little nitpicks:
It tries too hard to have a Linux security model.
Some games are required to be run under admin mode to be able to change settings (i.e. Angband).

MS should've adopted OSX's security model, which is simply to prompt for the Admin password each time elevated rights are required (updates, application installs, etc.). UAC is a damn joke.

Go Vista. Never look back to Windows XP. Vista runs fine for me and I game quite a bit.

GO Vista!!

Want to use it as an HTPC? Vista Media Center is one of the Best features in Vista. In my opinion I think its the best part of Vista. Not to put the rest of Vista down its just that the Media Center Software is very very well made.

I'm a gamer... BioShock, Orange Box etc. I really don't notice any significant performance drop or any at all.

I dual boot Vista and XP, I have not used XP on my comp in 6 months. I don't think I could go back if I wanted to. Some of the features like Media Center I just can't give up. :???:

CPU: Q6600
Memory: 2GB DRR2 800
MoBo: ASUS P6N SLI Platinum
GPU: 8600 GTS

~3pac3

MS should've adopted OSX's security model, which is simply to prompt for the Admin password each time elevated rights are required (updates, application installs, etc.). UAC is a damn joke.

That's exactly what it does...
If you know how to use an OS correctly, which means with a user account and not an admin account...

By default it automatically creates and makes you use a user account.
I think "Administrator" is the other account.

By default it automatically creates and makes you use a user account.
I think "Administrator" is the other account.

I don't think so.
Last time I installed Vista it was still creating an Administrator Account, not a User Account, and you have the default Administrator account to boot up in safe-mode.
You have to change your rights from Admin to User (if keeping the account you created during install) or create an explicit User Account.

I just built a new rig:
Q6600
Corsair 1066 4x1 GB RAM
Asus P5K deluxe wifi
Evga 8800GTX
Dell 2405fpw

Running Vista 64 on it. Once Vista catches up with it's caching and indexing, the OS is smoking fast! I was running Prime95 torture test. In XP, you start this up and forget about using your machine. In Vista, I was able to browse the net and do basic OS things seamlessly. Now that's cool!

Installed CS:S and ran the stress test. 224fps is ok for me! Installed UT2007 demo last night. Smooth as silk. Reading some reviews on the net seems that Vista gaming has caught upto XP performance through Windows updates and driver maturity.

I was running Prime95 torture test. In XP, you start this up and forget about using your machine. In Vista, I was able to browse the net and do basic OS things seamlessly.

You ran the test with Windows XP on the same system, or one w/o a multicore CPU ?

Vista is really tricky, either you chose to skip it and wait for the next MS OS, or you chose to get it and then I would advise the 64bit version, even though it means some performance loss in 32bit games.

Wow, nice to see performance where it is. I knew they were pretty close recently, but they're even closer than I was giving Vista credit for. Doubly-nice to see that x64 doesn't have any appreciable affect on performance either for nearly all the games tested.

Gonna save that link for the naysayers that I know about :)

Hello

Just bought new CPU/Mobo/Memory (still waiting it) and thinking what OS to use.
I will use it mainly for SOHO, Photoshop, Video editing, HTPC, casual gaming (mainly FPS).

I know some of you already have a mature/practical opinion about Vista pros and cons. Then my question: should I keep the Windows XP Pro or should I go Vista? Why?

I would say go Vista for the memory handling for Photoshop and video editing, especially if you're going to upgrade to more than 3 gigs. The only proviso is that the software and hardware you have has to be Vista compatible or have Vista drivers.

You may have problems with some older games, but that could very well be offset by the access to DX10 and your gaming being casual only.

I haven't had any headaches with unsigned drivers and Vista-64. Which items do you need to run that only provide unsigned drivers?

Back