To those with component to VGA transcoders:

Fox5

Veteran
Can yours do 720P?
I have mine hooked up to an L90D+ LCD monitor with a max res of 1280x1024. I went on xbox live arcade and noticed there was a game that had a 720P mode, so I downloaded the demo and tried to play it, but got an error message from my monitor that it didn't support the display mode. 1280x720 @ 60 fps should be within the capabilities of my monitor, I don't see why 480p would work and not 720p. I guess someday I'll have to try it on my old crt monitor I gave to my dad, it had a much higher max res.

Ah, 720P is 1440x720, no wonder it won't display on my monitor.
Well, that sucks then, looks like I'll have to buy a new monitor for next gen games. That kind of sucks, wish my monitor could downscale the image, or even display it with the edges cut off.
My monitor also has another problem with xbox games, for some reason certain games have dark areas of the screen or the colors get off when certain things appear on screen, and it gets worse the longer it's played. For instance, the plasma sword in halo 2 causes dark lines all across the screen wherever it is located, but not when the game first starts, only after playing for a while. I wonder if maybe the heat from the back of the xbox is heating up the cables, and causing the image to distort?(the problems occur on my lcd screen, but not on a crt screen though, and my monitor doesn't have any problems with any gamecube or pc games, even ones that use pixel shaders extensively)

london-boy said:
Fox5 said:

Not on SC2 it isn't. SC2 uses a strange non-widescreen 720p for some reason... Apart from the cutscenes.

It's still transmitting the signal as 1440x720, just with borders on the image.

whatever7 said:
Fox5 said:
london-boy said:
Fox5 said:

Not on SC2 it isn't. SC2 uses a strange non-widescreen 720p for some reason... Apart from the cutscenes.

It's still transmitting the signal as 1440x720, just with borders on the image.

Excuse me but 720p is 1280X720.

Well a poster in the thread said it was higher.

Well if it is 1280x720, then how come my monitor with a res of 1280x1024 couldn't do it?

Fox5 said:
Well a poster in the thread said it was higher.

Well if it is 1280x720, then how come my monitor with a res of 1280x1024 couldn't do it?

Yeah i had the idea that 720p is 1280x720 too... Not sure why it wouldn't work on your monitor though...

Eh, a VGA & Component signal has no notion of horizontal resolution only vertical resolution (in pixels that is).

Most likely your LCD has its multisampling somewhat hard coded and doesn't understand how to display 720P.

Cryect said:
Eh, a VGA & Component signal has no notion of horizontal resolution only vertical resolution (in pixels that is).

Most likely your LCD has its multisampling somewhat hard coded and doesn't understand how to display 720P.

Hmm? But wouldn't the component to vga transcoder take care of that?

That first one has horrible quality.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=4233&
This is very similar to the one I have, but the one I have is much smaller, not sure if the quality is any difference.(mine is also a knock off brand key digital's stuff, just like this one)

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=68
I'd say this is the best. Not only do you get the transcoder, you also get everything you need to set it up. You get an xbox component cable with stereo and optical audio and a stereo RCA to PC minijack convertor.

There's also an xbox only vga box that's supposed to be pretty good, but why not just get the vdigi since it's multipurpose and can be used with all 3 current consoles, as well as the future ones. I remember seeing a comparision between the VGA box(x2vga or something like that) and the vdigi, and each had circumstances it handled better, but since then both have had newer versions released so no idea how the current quality compares.

http://www.x2vga.com/
Here's the x2vga, but I wouldn't choose anything over the vdigi.

hmm.. sounds intresting but i just received a xbox component cable with optical ooutput and extra Svideo and composit output. (exchanged with a friend for a RGB scart with optical )

if I order, i post here results.. i'm looking to buy a nice 19" TFT screen so i can use xbox games with it

Fox5 said:
Cryect said:

The VGA transcoder doesn't have anything to do with your monitor being able to display a resolution with 720 lines. The transcoder just ensures YCrCb is converted to RGB and the vertical and horizontal blanking commands are decoded out to the correct pins.

Heh I've been thinking of for a while to get the VDigi component to VGA transcoder. Haven't yet since been using my roommates projector which takes component but I'm moving out this summer so need something new.

Cryect said:
Fox5 said:
Cryect said:

The VGA transcoder doesn't have anything to do with your monitor being able to display a resolution with 720 lines. The transcoder just ensures YCrCb is converted to RGB and the vertical and horizontal blanking commands are decoded out to the correct pins.

Heh I've been thinking of for a while to get the VDigi component to VGA transcoder. Haven't yet since been using my roommates projector which takes component but I'm moving out this summer so need something new.

Well, my monitor displays both 480P and 512 or 520P(I'm not sure which it is) just fine, as well as any custom resolution I can make with a PC graphics card.

Back