TitanFall [XO,X360]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by eastmen, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

I had a bad few rounds, I admit FPS other than single-player is not my thing. But tonight I was that person who was last each round. Granted I was playing with different weapons and loadouts, but still I really sucked.

Tried to play a sniper, but could never get in the spots I wanted before being taken out.

Tried playing shotgun, but someone was always behind me no matter what direction I was spinning.

I did hack a bunch of spectre's and let them follow me around, but then a Titan stepped on them.

I did kill tons of AI, so at least I have that pride... Maybe I am getting old, or I just suck - or both.

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

As much as they said they tried to make the game inviting for people who are not good at shooters, it doesn't seem true at all. It's fast, it's very twitch and there's a lot to learn about using titans effectively, and how to combat then when you're on foot.

3. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Turn on the autorun in the options menu. You should really never not be running and sprint is unlimited so having to click the stick is just a chore. Try the minion tracker kit so you can keep track of where the action is on the minimap. Try the smart pistol, but getting locks on pilots is hard so don't be afraid to just aim down the sights. Play hardpoint and concentrate on defense and you'll rack up attrition points while enemy pilots come to you.

I had a lot of luck with the above even though I'm not a very skilled shootist and I was playing on PC with a controller. Still, if you end up playing against a full team of max leveled friends against your team of randoms they will probably wreck your shit.

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I think it's more that you can have measures of success while not being good at shooters. You can still get some points by killing the easy bots, and you have a chance to escape after you lose a round.

5. RenegadeRocks

Legend

AI's role explaqined:
    BTW, the XBone beta is open for all now. No reason not to try it if you own a Xbne.

6. -tkf-

Legend

Got the PC beta, This is a great game, it has all the components of a good shooter. Thankfully it's faster and more frantic than most modern shooters, it seems I can actually straffe :)

As for the graphics, Ehmm seems a tad unimpressive.

7. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Gfx are best left not talked about. My jaw totally dropped when the game threw me in to the tutorial stage: My first thought was Quake 4 ! THe actual maps are much better, yes, but that training stage was god awful. Nothing you can call next-gen though.

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

10. gurgi

Regular

What are they using that much data for I wonder?

11. Rangers

Legend

The actual game is 15GB I believe (download size). Maybe they have a 40GB disclaimer in expectance of DLC or something.

I do think the gfx while fairly unimpressive, are being lampooned a bit too much. I remember it was shown at E3 and I definitely thought at the time "next gen", and I know there wasn't any outcry against the graphics then. I think it's just a case of next gen has moved on and we've got used to a higher standard in the meanwhile. Anyways also I'm impressed with the first person gun models, at least (I think this pic is high settings PC, but this gun model
    is gawjous. The other somewhat impressive area is the mechs and their detail and animation.

The game does just have an ugly, colorless, harsh look to the environments regardless of technical prowess, maybe Respawn could have done something about that if there's any blame to be laid, even remembering they are a small outfit.

Will be interesting to see the 360 version, unlike some others I expect significant graphical cutbacks.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

13. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Good to see a few places - Eurogamer, IGN - are holding off a full review until they've played the game on public servers. Definitely a sensible policy for online-only games.

14. Broken Hope

Regular

Apparently 35GB of it is audio..

15. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I recently read they managed to decrease the HD space requirements to 20GB, but by "recently" I mean like 3 weeks ago.

I hope this game truly makes the SHAPE audio chip shine though...

According to the news Titanfall has helped Xbox One to sell an extra 1 million consoles.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/10/xbox-one-sales-titanfall-launch/

16. Scott_Arm

Legend

Downloading while I'm at work. Won't be able to play until late tonight. I'll post my impressions later on, or tomorrow.

17. DrJay24

Veteran

I'm surprised. Typically popular multi-player and MMO games are a mess for weeks, but review events or review only servers give them the cover for generous scores. How long did it take BF4 to become stable? Well I guess that is 64 players and this is 12, so it might be apples and oranges.

18. Scott_Arm

Legend

Battlefield took about a month and a half to become stable, for me. The launch week was actually great though. It was the week after that it went to hell.

19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well BF4 has a single player campaign but I do like this change. If you are buying a game for multiplayer and the experience is bad, wouldn't you want to know that in the review?

20. DrJay24

Veteran

Of course, but I don't trust gaming "journalist", lazy, easily manipulated, man children in bed with the same companies they are supposed to critique.