Tire + Wheel = Tweel

nelg

Veteran
http://www.gizmo.com.au/go/3603/

3603_01.jpg

Cool !

Can't help but wonder how susceptible a design like that would be to material fatigue. You wouldn't want a catastrophic failure while taking a corner at high speed... Doesn't look very aerodynamic either I might add. :p

What first came to my mind was how unbalanced it would become when ice and slush sticks inside.

I'd guess that production versions would have sidewalls like a normal tyre, but they are using these to convey the point.

DaveBaumann said:
I'd guess that production versions would have sidewalls like a normal tyre, but they are using these to convey the point.
Yeah, and I'm betting there are kids out there already planning on how to inject liquid thru that sidewall and into a compartment just to mess up someone.....kind of the future of tire-slashing. ;)

You could attach those "spokies" you used to get free in cereal packets.

I bet the ride and handling is pretty unnerving - you could feel quite detached from the road. They probably step out during heavy cornering in quite a dramatic fashion. Very cool concept though.

OMG, shove a little bicycle horn into each tire compartment. The squeezy-ball kind, with the squeezy-ball jammed into the hole.

You'd be honking the whole time going down the road....
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

according to the article the handling is terrific- better than penumatic tires. AND they can make the ride smoother while making handling better at the same time, rather than it being a tradeoff.

Yeah, I didn't mean that it'd be worse. Just might be a little bit odd for drivers that are used to a lot of feedback from low-profile tires and quite a sympathetic grip "break" when cornering (although this is as much to do with the balance of the car and drive configuration as anything else).

I'd have thought one of the reasons why a low profile tire gives better feedback is that it minimises lateral distortion when turning the wheel. These things look like they could achieve the same by basically placing the support plains at right angles to the outer surface. Net result is that you get the benifit of greater damping of bumps from the taller tire without the horizontal 'slopyness' you get from a conventional tire.

Be interresting if they ever come to anything...

John.

There used to be a time where the real proving ground for road vehicles for such new technologies / implementations was F1 - ABS, Traction Control, Active suspension, CVT. Although many of these were not actually invented by F1 teams first, their adoption often signalled that if they were robust enough to last there then road cars would end up with them sooner or later, as they have with many - I suspect it would be the same with this. Still, if the FIA bans it before it even gets to a ran then we know it'll probably end up on a road car sooner or later.

RussSchultz said:
The real question is how they look with spinners.

*bling bling*

ROFL! I will NOT put spinners on my car. They looked blingbling to me the first two or three times I saw them.... now they look ghetto I've seen them so much

The real question is safety and longivity, neither is fulfilled by this. Also, any kind of higher speed is not possible with it.

The idea will disappear as fast as it appeared.

_xxx_ said:
The real question is safety and longivity, neither is fulfilled by this. Also, any kind of higher speed is not possible with it.

The idea will disappear as fast as it appeared.

Err - a tyre that doesn't deflate due to a puncture or faulty valve, can't suffer blowout due to sidewall damage, is always at the right pressure (so offers the best grip) despite lazy drivers that never check their pressure, has lower unsprung weight (no steel belts) and keeps a good contact patch even on broken/bumpy surfaces isn't going to be safer?

If you read the article, they are starting with low speed versions, but are working towards high speed versions. Most tyres that are considered high speed are for 130+ mph, so even versions not rated for high speed will still cover most of the vehicles and drivers out there.

It can't blow, but how long will those bars supporting the outer ring do their work? How long will the "ring" do its work? If it brakes, there's nothing to support the weight of the car (a normal wheel still offers some support even with a blown tire). Etc, etc...many issues.

_xxx_ said:
It can't blow, but how long will those bars supporting the outer ring do their work? How long will the "ring" do its work? If it brakes, there's nothing to support the weight of the car (a normal wheel still offers some support even with a blown tire). Etc, etc...many issues.

Those are just engineering problems. The basic idea is sound, offers many advantages over today's tyres (especially safety), and moves away from the 100 year old "tube of air" design. They are not claiming to break the laws of physics or anything here.

If one of the spokes break, there are a load of others to support the weight. You could hammer a dozen nails into these tweels, pull half of them out, and the tyre would drive at virtually one hundred percent of maximum grip, performance and safety.

You suggested the idea wasn't as safe or going to last as long. I gave you many examples why it's safer, and it only has to last as long as the tread does on today's tyres. These are just issues of design and material that every new product goes through.

If you're seriously worried about "things that might go wrong if they don't make it properly and it breaks", you wouldn't get into any car today, let alone something as complex as an airplane.

Back