Tips to keep ipad mini 6 from getting dented/scratched?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
bought my mom an ipad mini 6, and turns out it seems to have similar material with ipods and macbooks?

any tips to keep ipad mini 6 from getting dented/scratched? a thin plastic film has been applied to the screen to help protect the screen. But not sure what i can do to protect its metal body.

This is the first time my family (and me) got an apple device, and IME with macbook and ipods that my friend have years ago, they easily get dented when hitting something (even something rather soft like a wooden desk), and the body gets scratched/marked/scuffed/rubbed even with a case. So im kinda paranoid. Googling around, people basically say to live with it, dont mind it, its just the reality of a device being used.

its a quite an expensive device. i would like for it to be as smooth as possible, so in the future, if sold, still have good enough price.

Buy a silicon cover and a real glass screen protector.

And so what if it gets a dent or scratch? It's a consumer device. The first scratch or dent always is always painful :p

I feel this issue has been solved for decades by using a tablet cover.

Buy a silicon cover and a real glass screen protector.

And so what if it gets a dent or scratch? It's a consumer device. The first scratch or dent always is always painful :p

I feel this issue has been solved for decades by using a tablet cover.

>_<
we usually use plastic or glass devices and they are very resistant to blemishes. about silicon cover, on reddit someone complained that it made a mark on their back plate and edges. looks as if something was rubbing. their device didn't have dents tho. so maybe it is good enough to protect from dents.

i wonder if covering the tablet with stickers (skin?), THEN placing it in a silicon cover, would protect it from getting dented and scratched/marked/scuffed/rubbed. Or it will make things worse, as it means the tablet will be a few millimeters larger, thus making it got more pressure while putting on a case/cover and while its inside a case/cover.

worse thermal dissipation is not an issue as my mom didnt play video games.

Ok, I'll ask the dumb question: so what if it gets blemishes? Are you somehow concerned it will have less trade-in value after she's been using it for the next half dozen years?

For a long time, i was concerned about my phone getting scratches and blemishes and whatnot. Now at this point, I'm old enough to not really care anymore, and the most modern implementation of Gorilla glass has become good enough that I've not broken a screen in six or seven years. What good is a svelte, attractive device if you smother it in plastic, silicon and glass? Now it sometimes doesn't fit right in a pocket, and it's clunky enough to sometimes not link up right on a wireless charger, and you've hidden all that modern sleek goodness. And trade-in value is basically nil anyway after three or four years, which is about how long I keep my phones (finally traded my ~2017 Galaxy S8 for the previous-gen S21 about five months ago.)

Maybe just consider letting her have it as-is? Or maybe not, because I don't really know your mom and how she treats her electronics :)

yes, resale value drops too much with blemishes.

she has a plastic phone, and it handles drops from standing height, from bed, and accidentally thrown to the floor from bed, with zero issues with zero blemishes. being squished/sat on while the phone inside her bag also has no visible impact.

ipad mini 6 body does feel more rigid than google pixel tho. so it may handle impacts better. no, i dont want to test my mom's ipad. my google pixel does become dented and scratched with just ~30cm drop tho (then again, its metal body does feel/sounds softer than ipad mini 6)

Back