Tile based deferred rendering consoles

jvd

Banned
I'm have a chat with a person and they are trying to tell me that the dreamcast was not the only deferred tile based rendering console .

He claims jaguar , saturn , psone , ps2 , xbox and others are deferred renders .

Since he does not believe me can you all list all the consoles that have used deferred rending.

AFAIK only one console has used Tile Based Deferred Rendering and that's Dreamcast. Frankly I don't know what he's thinking saying that Saturn, XBox, PSX, PS2 ect use TBDR.

AFAIK, only DC used this rendering because of the PowerVR chipset...

Also isn't this technique patented?

Dreamcast is the only console that uses tile based rendering.

the PS1, N64, PS2, GC, Xbox are all using conventional rendering.

if Xbox had used GigaPixel's GP4 GPU instead of Nvidia, Xbox might have been a TBR / deferred rendering based console.

Um, before jumping on the bandwagon, don't you think that 'Tile-based Rendering' is a somewhat ambiguous term. Things are often broken up into a finer granularity to increase the efficiency of short-term storage access patterns, no?

I think people are too quick to assume, like most catch-phrases and inflated numbers are used by some people, that tiling is equivalent to a region-based deferred rendering (ala PowerVR). Which people then further assume to be strictly centered around a single IHV.

no i specificly said to him only the dreamcast was a tile based deferred renderer . ANd he said no.

I know i was right. I even explained to him how hyperz in the radeons use tiles but its not the same as a tile based deferred renderer

Actually I would also argue there is ambiguity of terms there.
Rendering the way I understand it, includes the whole prrocess - ie. "geometry transforms", "shading", "rasterization". Out of those, DC defers rasterization, so the term "deferred rendering" doesn't feel quite right.

Moreover, defered rendering (referring to the whole rendering process) is commonly employed by PS2 and GC games at least. It just doesn't have to be exclusively used (you can still render immediately if you want).

london-boy said:
Since no one mentioned it yet, I think DC was the only console that used tile based rendering.
Are you sure? I heard jaguar, saturn, psone, ps2, xbox and others are deferred renders too.

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:
Since no one mentioned it yet, I think DC was the only console that used tile based rendering.
Are you sure? I heard jaguar, saturn, psone, ps2, xbox and others are deferred renders too.

I'm quite sure that DC was the only TBR console so far.

Has there been any other consoles other than DC,
or graphics cards other than PowerVR cards, that have used tile based deferred rendering?
I'm pretty sure DC is the only console, that has had tile based rendering, but what about PCs or workstations?

rabidrabbit said:
Has there been any other consoles other than DC,
or graphics cards other than PowerVR cards, that have used tile based deferred rendering?
I'm pretty sure DC is the only console, that has had tile based rendering, but what about PCs or workstations?

The closest you will get is the Pixel Planes system which deferred some of the texturing but that did it in a rather, IMHO, inefficient way.

The only other system that I know of on the PC didn't defer the rendering - it only created tile lists.

Back