Tiger Woods 07 (PS3/X360)

It clearly looks as if the main development platforms are still Xbox and PS2. The next gen consoles just get more models and better textures and a slightly updated engine. But I didn't expect anything else from EA.

Meh... I think we won't see a decent Tiger Woods until PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii are established.

That is painfully rubbish. Flat lighting, dull modelling, mundane foliage...I dread to think how much power in these consoles will go totally unused on this title. It's only turn-based golf, so you can throw the whole weight of the machine into the visuals, and instead we have this. It's an embarassment to game graphics IMO.

yuck. Pretty different development policy between this and FN3. Ah well...PASS!

Goodness gracious:( .Someone turn up the graphics in those pics. No way there going to ship this game looking in that state.

Atleast EA doesn't discriminate. They make games look crappy on all platforms. EA's new slogan should be "New game engines lower stock value". I wish sega, ms, and SCEA were still actively trying to make new sports games.

It may not look that good judging by images, but it looks great in-motion. It's nice to see EASports finally concentrating a little bit extra on the animations.

Hm... well the game is still in production; maybe they're adding the "sweet" graphics later, but I agree that the lighting is atrocious. When is the game due for release?

Looking at screenshots from IGN, the biggest problem is that the lighting on the crowd is non-existant, so they look pasted in. Just imagine this screenshot without the crowd. Then again, in a shot like this, nothing appears lit at all. :???:

Here are some videos over at IGN

edit: Up close, it looks like 06 in the videos. The low-quality hides the negative aspects of the crowd somewhat, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alstrong said:
Hm... well the game is still in production; maybe they're adding the "sweet" graphics later, but I agree that the lighting is atrocious. When is the game due for release.
What are they working on if not the graphics? Advanced ball physics where every atom is calculated in real time? Seriously, what we had last gen in golf is as good as it gets, no? You set power and direction and thwack. There's nothing more complicated to it. The processing requirements of the actual gameplay are virtually non-existent, unless you want individual grass-blades to apply a resistance force rather than just a resistance for different grass areas. Heck, I was playing simlar golf games on 286s! Gameplay hasn't changed any. New golf is about customized characters, mocap animations and fantastic visuals. Customized characters TW had 2 years ago to excellent effect along with mocap animations. I can't see any room to advance anything from last gen's golf games except visuals. Am I just missing the trick? Is there really a lot of effort needed to create a totally new, complex engine, and the idea of just uing the old engine with updated visuals isn't viable?

There was a trailer floating around a couple weeks ago that looked much better than this, had all the tiger 'game face' stuff from E3 along with that creepy smile.

My guess is these screens are a mistake.

Nobody posted this? Slightly "interesting"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/718/718830p1.html

While we previewed Tiger 07 from Chicago earlier this week, we finally got our hands-on one hole of Tiger on a PlayStation 3 development-kit, which is the size of a large briefcase and sounds like a giant bee-hive. Tiger PS3 is noticeably behind the 360 version, but it won't be released until November so there is still plenty of time to catch up. EA already told us that the content will be identical on both versions, but EA is toying with the idea of utilizing the tilt-sensor of the PS3 controller, but nothing has been announced.

Designer Dave Woldman walked us through the 18th at St. Andrews, which already looked great. The undulation and little rolling hills on the fairway and green were clearly visible, and the buildings in the background made me want to stop for tea and crumpets. Luckily EA was serving beer and burgers outside, so I made do. The PS3 framerate was very choppy with this pre-alpha build, but controlling Tiger felt identical to the 360 version. That gives us hope that once everything is ironed out visually, the game should look virtually identical to the 360 version as well. So unless EA incorporates some new control method with the PS3 controller, then next-gen Tiger will be the same solid golf game across the board.

wow, i honestly think mario golf toadstool tour looks better than this! XD i mean, if you're going to make a game in which the TERRAIN is the most important feature, why not make the TERRAIN look good? either that, or just go cartoony the whole way and eat least have accomplished something artistically consistent. :p on top of everything else, it being EA, i can only assume it's a terrible sports sim (though i hear otherwise). ^^; sega sports forever ;_;

Back