Veteran
this-is-football-2005-20040623112824711.jpg

this-is-football-2005-20040623112821446.jpg

this-is-football-2005-20040623112824024.jpg

this-is-football-2005-20040623112825586.jpg

twisted-metal-world-tour-20040811034604220.jpg

twisted-metal-world-tour-20040811033417738.jpg

twisted-metal-world-tour-20040623113940805.jpg

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/psp/article/526/526232/TwistedMetal_Renewed_wmvlow.wmv

source ign.com

Looks good, though I would've preferred that a game with so much imagery packed into a small res like Twisted Metal trade some of it back in order to use high image supersampling for sufficient definition on its details.

Football game looks very nice! On the other hand, I wasn't even moderately impressed by how Twisted Metal games looked like on PS2, so no surprise, I don't like it here either.

Sony efforts are very sub par on the PSP.

First, Wipeout Pure and Medievil looked like ps1 games at E3. Now TIF look very average considering PSP specs (this is not so important, considering we'll get Winning Eleven, which is already far superior on the ps2).

TMB has its up and down, I did not like it on ps2, so I do not care.

First, Wipeout Pure and Medievil looked like ps1 games at E3
Huh? Wipeout Ppure is easily a prettier game than the Wipeout Fusion on PS2. I've seen WP on the high res DVD video, btw, and have played WF. Aside of the three tech demos presented there, that was the game that has probably impressed me the most on the PSP (shared with that Konami's first person shooter, now that I think about it).

TIF, on these pictures, looks about as good as soccer games do on this generation consoles, as far as I can tell from these blurry screens.

marconelly! said:
First, Wipeout Pure and Medievil looked like ps1 games at E3
Huh? Wipeout Ppure is easily a prettier game than the Wipeout Fusion on PS2.

I disagree, based on Wipeout fusion I own and the videos of WP I've seen on IGN. We'll see with the final version, of course.

TIF, on these pictures, looks about as good as soccer games do on this generation consoles, as far as I can tell from these blurry screens.

Evzn, if TIF looked as good as itw ps2 counterpart, It would still be a very average soccer game, and it does not look as good.

Obviously you can't tell much from crappy media like that but to me PSP games so far look roughly comparable to what the DC had to offer. It'll be interesting to see how stuff like GT4, Burnout and Thornado turns out. So far the average is well below that of the home consoles.

I think you guys are judging crappy screenshots rather than actual PSP game images. They look bad because any CG looks much worse than it really is when photographed off an LCD screen.

Besides, it's an all-new piece of hardware, give the devs a break will ya before you go cackling like a gaggle of geese about how much the games sucks. :rolleyes:

Guden Oden said:
I think you guys are judging crappy screenshots rather than actual PSP game images. They look bad because any CG looks much worse than it really is when photographed off an LCD screen.

Besides, it's an all-new piece of hardware, give the devs a break will ya before you go cackling like a gaggle of geese about how much the games sucks. :rolleyes:

That's why I only said the screens (shots) suck. Have no idea about the game or the actual IQ.

The video isn't much better. And all-new piece of hardware doesn't convince me either for a plattform that is supposed to deliever graphics better than PS2 :D

thop said:
The video isn't much better. And all-new piece of hardware doesn't convince me either for a plattform that is supposed to deliever graphics better than PS2 :D

Your romance with the DS and distaste for the PSP doesn't exactly qualify you for an award in objectivity.

What romance are you talking about? And what distaste? Certainly you aren't implying that the graphics in the video look better than PS2 graphics? :D

thop said:

Exactly not to mention the price they'll be asking you to pay for the unit. The Metroid game for NDS without all the 3D GFLOPS hype actually impresses.

thop said:
Certainly you aren't implying that the graphics in the video look better than PS2 graphics? :D

I think the level-headed people here are implying that we can't really tell WHAT the graphics will really look like as they're, A: bad screen grabs, and B: bad screen grabs of fucking works in progress. So lay off the fanboi-smelling smack for a while, okay? Let the devs finish their games and then we'll judge the gfx.

Besides, when did Sony promise "better than PS2 graphics"?

PC-Engine said:
Exactly not to mention the price they'll be asking you to pay for the unit.

You don't HAVE to buy it you know. It's not like anyone's forcing you... :rolleyes:

The Metroid game for NDS without all the 3D GFLOPS hype actually impresses.

Umm, the way I saw it pretty much everybody bashed DS MP for being pixelly and having lo-res textures, but hey, I guess we all select what we want to remember. ;)

What I'd like to see is a Bitboys G34 or G40 powered portable. For all the mockery that company had received, they really appear to have delivered with those products. Since many of their past chips failed to reach market, it was one thing to be skeptical of their loftly promises, but it was another thing not to recognize that such failure reflected the logistical and political difficulties of securing committed licensees at least as much as it did the strength of their technology. Assuming size, heat, and power can be kept down satisfactorily when integrating these new IPs, they've shown that they really did always have something special.

If someone like Nokia had contracted them and kept up in lockstep last year, they would've been ready to be off the line early 2005 with a bleeding edge portable. With MBX having been available for licensing for so long now and still so competitive, it was obvious that another talented company launching midway within the generational cycles of mobile/embedded suppliers like Imagination Tech and ATi would have something out there in performance.

Umm, the way I saw it pretty much everybody bashed DS MP for being pixelly and having lo-res textures, but hey, I guess we all select what we want to remember.

The point is, nobody was expecting it to be and look as good as it did since DS has zero 3D hardware. Nintendo never said anything about 3D regarding DS. They always talked about the dual screen, stylus, and wireless capability.

If you want to hype your hardware you'd better back it up with proof and as of right now PSP games look no better than glorified filtered playstation games.

PC-Engine said:
Umm, the way I saw it pretty much everybody bashed DS MP for being pixelly and having lo-res textures, but hey, I guess we all select what we want to remember.

The point is, nobody was expecting it to be and look as good as it did since DS has zero 3D hardware. Nintendo never said anything about 3D regarding DS. They always talked about the dual screen, stylus, and wireless capability.

If you want to hype your hardware you'd better back it up with proof and as of right now PSP games look no better than glorified filtered playstation games.

Thats a good point .

Look at Star wars .

Eps 4 came out and no one knew about it and it did awsome.

Eps 1 came out with all this hype . Finaly a new star wars after 25 years (or whatever) and the movie sucked.

hype can be good. In the case of spider man 2 .It coudl be bad in the case of starwars eps 1 .

Right now the hype of psp is making me expect more than what the actual product is showing me.

Lazy8s said:
What I'd like to see is a Bitboys G34 or G40 powered portable. For all the mockery that company had received, they really appear to have delivered with those products. Since many of their past chips failed to reach market, it was one thing to be skeptical of their loftly promises, but it was another thing not to recognize that such failure reflected the logistical and political difficulties of securing committed licensees at least as much as it did the strength of their technology. Assuming size, heat, and power can be kept down satisfactorily when integrating these new IPs, they've shown that they really did always have something special.

If someone like Nokia had contracted them and kept up in lockstep last year, they would've been ready to be off the line early 2005 with a bleeding edge portable. With MBX having been available for licensing for so long now and still so competitive, it was obvious that another talented company launching midway within the generational cycles of mobile/embedded suppliers like Imagination Tech and ATi would have something out there in performance.

I expect NEC to build something with their recent licensing of the BB G34 IP core. They never license IP to not use it on something though I'm not sure if it'll be a PPC/PDA, cellphone/smartphone, or something for a customer ie Nintendo or Nokia. It's great news nonetheless and I'm really looking forward to a portable product using a BB or PowerVR gpu.

Back