Three monitor display

Discussion in 'PC Purchasing Help' started by Tahir2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Tahir2

Veteran

Hi guys

I have been out of the hardware business for a little while and just getting back into it.

I was wondering if you could give me a hand with a customer request (more of a friend really).

He wants a PC with triple monitor support

2x monitors will display the same output (digital signage/slideshows etc)
    One monitor is a large LCD display unit, the other one a simple 15" LCD to keep track of what is being displayed on the larger screen.

1x monitor will be his work area - just a standard 19" LCD.

What is the best, and cheapest, way to go about spec'ing a machine that will do the above?

Parhelia or two graphics cards?

2. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Parhelia is so outdated as to not be worth consideration, IMHO. 2x discrete graphics cards are your best bet. Anything will do, from the sound of it.

3. Tahir2

Veteran

Thanks for the reply ShaidarHaran.

What about the 780G chipset with a 4350 - states in Xbitlabs chipset review that it will support multi monitor output and save me from purchasing a motherboard with 2x PCI-E slots for graphics?

Any limitations that would hamper that set-up?

4. Dooby

Regular

Just make 100% sure that the onboard gfx dont get disabled the instant you put something into the PCIE slot. This happens on my (not that old) Athlon X2 shuttle system.

Remember, if you simply want triple display, you dont have to bother with XFire / SLI stuff. I used to use a X1900XTX and a X300SE (the best and worse ATi cards at the time) in a NV SLI board. Its best to stay with the same company chips, I only needed to install one set of drivers.

The obligatory image:

[​IMG]

20", 24" portrait, 30". Yes, I like Dell.

5. Davros

Legend

In vista you cant use board from 2 different makers (ati, nvidia not evga,bfg ect)