THQ predicts 2006 for next gen

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
THQ Working on PS3
THQ Gearing up for Next Generation

October 20, 2003 - Video game publisher THQ has started work on the next generation of consoles. Yes, indeed, THQ is already gearing up for the PS3. To make it even more fun, THQ also expects to start developing games for Sony's new handheld, the PSP.

According to Reuters, THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell said that THQ's Rainbow and Volition studios were looking ahead to Sony's next-generation system. "We still believe that the next generation will launch in 2006. That's our best guess as of today's date," Farrell said. "But we're certainly preparing in the event that there is a 2005 launch."

Farrell said that THQ is also poised to start working on games for Sony's PSP handheld system, expected to be released in late 2004. "We expect to start getting some emulators within the next 30 to 45 days," he said. Emulation hardware allows developers to design games for new hardware without actually having the final devices.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/455/455680p1.html

Paul said:
THQ is wrong. If they predict a 06 PS3 launch anyway.

You know, while the page was loading I noticed that the last post in the thread was from 'Paul', and thought to myself "I bet he'll just say 'THQ is wrong'".

If you're wrong, will you kill yourself?

I'll let you pull the trigger.

However, I'm not wrong. LET me guess, Sony is going to sit on PS3's chips for a year and a half? "Roofles" It doesn't work that way. When you have a bleeding edge IC, you launch it ASAP.

Fall 2005 launch, although I'm open to the fact that there well could be a worldwide launch. Maybe for the USA and japan anyway.

I don't get how someone can be so certain about something that is not in the slightest dependend on him in any way. :?

Vince:

Zurich isn't the one claiming anything here, so how can he be wrong?

Paul said:
I'll let you pull the trigger.

However, I'm not wrong. LET me guess, Sony is going to sit on PS3's chips for a year and a half? "Roofles" It doesn't work that way. When you have a bleeding edge IC, you launch it ASAP.

Fall 2005 launch, although I'm open to the fact that there well could be a worldwide launch. Maybe for the USA and japan anyway.

Sony's not going to sit on PS3 chips for a year and a half; because they won't have any! At least till late 2005 anyways. The more I hear about how intel's screwing it 90nm process, the less confidence I have of Sony, or anyone else for that matter, to release 65nm in significant quantity by 2005.

being that the soonest the next gen consoles could come out, is LATE 2005 , there is nothing wrong in predicting 2005 or 2006, because we are only talking about a few months difference here. And in Oct 2003, it is simply too far away to nail down the exact timeframe. so as of now, the next gen consoles are coming in 2005 or 2006 8)

Sony's not going to sit on PS3 chips for a year and a half; because they won't have any!

They will, Toshiba; mass producing late 2004. Upwards of a year production, with new Sony fabs coming online sometime in 2005 to help also.

Paul said:
Sony's not going to sit on PS3 chips for a year and a half; because they won't have any!

They will, Toshiba; mass producing late 2004. Upwards of a year production, with new Sony fabs coming online sometime in 2005 to help also.

I must say Paul that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Sony or Toshiba will have mass production quality PS3 chips by 2004. Perhaps emulators and whatnot but not the 'real' thing. It only takes a few months to ramp up and store enough stock before a launch not a whole year. Inventories filling up with processors that are not to be used for over a year is economic suicide even for a company of Sony's size.

Anyway... we shall see what happens, just need a little patience.

I must say Paul that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Sony or Toshiba will have mass production quality PS3 chips by 2004.

We're not on the same page.

I said that Toshiba will be mass producing PS3's chips late 2004.(chips based on 65 nm fab process "to be used in sce products" DUH ;) )

People are making the argument that Sony will have no PS3 chips because of the fact that they could get horrible yields and such.

I say that They will have upwards of a year production(I'm assuming a late 2005 launch).

Paul said:
I must say Paul that doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Sony or Toshiba will have mass production quality PS3 chips by 2004.

We're not on the same page.

I said that Toshiba will be mass producing PS3's chips late 2004.(chips based on 65 nm fab process "to be used in sce products" DUH ;) )

People are making the argument that Sony will have no PS3 chips because of the fact that they could get horrible yields and such.

I say that They will have upwards of a year production(I'm assuming a late 2005 launch).

Ridiculous. 90nm would be barely out by then. Thinking 65nm mass production starting anytime in 2004 is smoking crack.

Paul said:
I guess Toshiba lied then when they said mass production of 65 nm chips(Cell) in the latter half of first half of FY2004.

The fab will be done in January, with limited production the whole year up until mass.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2003_04/pr2101.htm

Or as the corporations call it, stretching the truth. ;)

Let me give you some advice. Look at this picture:
yields.jpg

While it's about defect density, you can infer from this when a process is available (assuming that a process must exist in order for a graph of defects could exist). Look at the 90nm process. You see that they have data going back to 1Q 2002. Intel still hasn't produce a commercial 90nm chip, and probably won't in any serious quantity until 1Q2004 at the earliest based on lastest info. That's two years from when a process was ready until the launch of something on the process. If Sony does about the same for 65nm, then you see a 1H 2006 launch. Get the picture (no pun intended)?

It's you vs Toshiba.

Toshiba: 1

You: 0

Either way your comparason is off the mark as they are mass producing something using 65 nm transis starting late 2004, with obviously limited production until then.

So... why again would you see one of PS3's fabs built, ready to go, and then have the product out 2 years later? We're talking about a console here remember.

Back