Thousands of Iraqi soldiers surrendered

Silent_One

Newcomer
Thousands of Iraqi soldiers surrendered, including a division of 8,000 assigned to defend Basra.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp
Thousands of Iraqi soldiers surrendered Friday in the face of the allied assault, including Iraq’s entire 51st Infantry Division, numbering 8,000 soldiers. The mechanized division was said to have had about 200 tanks before the war.

Seeing this ... just about made my day. ;)

030321_iraqssupdate_03.jpg

As good as another video I saw showing a poster of Sadam being beaten with a shoe by an Iraqi, as a Coalition service-man was taking it down.

Joe DeFuria said:
As good as another video I saw showing a poster of Sadam being beaten with a shoe by an Iraqi, as a Coalition service-man was taking it down.

Yeah I saw a video where Shihites were welcoming US soldiers.. :oops: These people hate America but I guess they hate Sadam far worse. I saw a small clip where they were actually shaking hands with US soldiers. Makes you wonder what all the protesting is about. I wonder how many protestors would be out in the streets if it was Bill Clinton in the commander and chef situation here. IIRC there was no protest when he implement Desert Fox. Makes you wonder who is organising these protest. BTW I do think they are organised by loosely associated groups with the same leftist bias, pathetic really.

Himself said:
So far I'm terrified of the Iraq military, I can see how urgent it was to bring in the troops..

Hrm, it looks as though the Iraq millitary are far more terrified of the US millitary from what I can tell. There will be a lot more Iraq soldiers surrendering soon, I am sure of it.

EDIT: Err, the UK soldiers are no slouches either IMO.

Seeing this ... just about made my day.

I'm not copying the pic, you can all look up a bit an see it!

These are all over Iraq. FOXNews keeps showing a clip of an American ripping down one of these, and an Iraqi coming up to try and help. The Iraqi takes off his sandal and tried to pry off the poster with it, to no avail. So the Iraqi looks at the pic, then starts pounding the crap out of Saddam's face with his shoe! :LOL: Swear to God it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Wish we could let him do that to the real saddam.....

MrsSkywalker said:
So the Iraqi looks at the pic, then starts pounding the crap out of Saddam's face with his shoe! :LOL: Swear to God it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Wish we could let him do that to the real saddam.....
With cloning technology we can give every Iraqi the chance to beat the crap out of saddam. :) BTW the guy with the sandal should get a medal. :)

later,

bout 9000 down another 350-400 000 ~ to go... and at least half of them are IN baghdad not out in the open desert... Id bet 80-90% of them are sunni soldiers and not shia or other ... Im not so sure they wont fight...

The Iraqi Army has a strength of approx 375,000 mostly conscripts but with about 60,000 in the Republican Guard. At best their equipment in antiquated and at worst it utterly laughable (still dangerous if you end up getting shot by it though).

If the Iraqis stand and fight, they are going to die. If they retreat into the cities and go for urban warfare things get slightly more complicated but they will still end up dying. The UK & US forces now have a great deal of experience of this type of warfare.

Just watch the reports of the bombing runs over Baghdad, I think the phrase 'Shock and Awe' is very appropriate. Once the conscript element of the Iraqi army starts seeing this they are going start considering their own mortality.

I wonder how many protestors would be out in the streets if it was Bill Clinton in the commander and chef situation here. IIRC there was no protest when he implement Desert Fox.

Ahh, the real problem is not the war itself, sure there are some people who would protest no matter what (a lot of those more for the sake of protesting than anything else :D ), but the way GWB went about it. You might not like it but its all about delivery and not substance. Also, old Bill would have talked the rest of the UN into supporting the war (the guy's like a used car salesman). People will support anything as long as you tell them in the right way, which doesn't mean logic or reason or even the truth (although they all help). Politics is all about telling people what they want to hear. Give people a long moving speech about libiration and the greatness of democracy and fluffy bunnies and they won't care what you do.

Yes, I'm exagerating a bit, or maybe even a lot ;) but there is some truth there. Most people will not take the time to read up on all the facts to make their opnion. They'll watch a bit of CNN or listen to the radio or talk to their neighbours, whatever, anyway they don't know much and their opinion will be formed by what they hear around them. Make stuff sound good and they'll support it. Please note that I'm just stating the facts the way I see it, I'm not saying that its good.

If there's one thing America is good at then its fighting wars, I mean dang! Things have certainly changed since the World Wars and 'nam. High tech warfare all around. Quite impressive.

wasnt sure where to post this image, you might see it in one or two other threads. :)

liberate4.jpg

and dancing in the street.

liberate3.jpg

[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really hate the US invaders.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really are scared of us.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the millions of Iraqi people are dead from all the bombing.[/sarcasm]

I might start a thread with all the wild predictions from the antiwar posters here.

later,

Nice multi thread spam there epic ;P... War is far from over but we are lucky so far especialy that the danger of Saddam gassing Israel is virtually gone now... we are lucky the oild fields werent put all on fire... so far only a handful of wells burn... lets hope our luck holds out when the allies take on saddams main arm in baghdad... There are still quite a few serious risks before this whole thing is over...

pax i did say i was going to post in more than one thread. I was not sure exactly where to put it and did not want to start a whole new thread on it. sorry if the sight of happy iraqis angers you. ;) Last sentence was a sarcastic responce.

later,

you do realize that there you could overthrow the government in any country and at least some people would be in the street, eh epicstruggle?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewt...mp;sid=d82e23473a44e42cce64c41e48f13d8f#94598

kyleb-
Do you believe there will be any celebration by the citizens in Baghdad?

I imagine they will be too damn scared of what is going to happen next to get very excited about their current dictator being overthrown...........they are damn well scared of us and they have every reason to be, if overthrowing their current dictatorship in favor of what they can only imagine seemed like something wonderful to those people.......

Back