This is why you clean out your case and GPU HSF ...

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Moloch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I've been noticing the massive temps(and noise that goes with it) my 4850 has for a while and finally decided to take the HSF completely apart and clean the damned thing. Fall Out Vegas would cause my 4850 to hit 105C and furmark in xtreme burn mode would get over 115C. :shock:
    [​IMG]
    Gee, I wonder if those clogged ports could be the problem :lol: Damned thing wasn't getting any airflow at all!
    Also it had way too much thermal paste on the core and there was even more on the heat sink.
    [​IMG]
    I removed that via arcticlean and applied a bit of tuniq thermal paste(picture missing), which came with my tuniq tower 120 and the improvement is massive, to the say the least. Idles at 60C and furmark in xtreme burning mode is only 71C. I've just overclocked it to 700/1090 and it's still only at 76C, before I could only hit 675 and the temp would hit 120C+, and sometimes it would cause my pc to shutdown :lol:
    Pretty sure the core could go much higher, but IIRC 4850's are limited by memory bw, and the memory doesn't want to go one mhz higher.

2. Davros

Legend

Once i went to fix a 286 that had stopped working in a clothing factory,
    when i removed the case inside it was just a solid block of dust

3. Moloch

Veteran

Gross. For some reason the apartment I used to live in was extremely dusty, I've only been in my current house for a few months and I have central air and heating so it should have much less dust since the air is being filtered.

4. I.S.T.

Veteran

My house is dusty as hell, so I got to clean my case out every few months.

5. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

I thought my 4850's fan was giving out when it failed to rotate below 40% fan speed. Turns out that it was hairs clogged into it, I have pretty long hair. :razz:

These days, it's the psu fan making a lot of buzz...but I fear opening that.:sad:

6. Moloch

Veteran

My 80MM side casefan needs to be replaced, makes a lot of noise for how little air it moves, bearing must be busted or something. My 4850 idles with 0-10% fan btw with temps at below 60C atm. I'm really surprised how well the HSF works when it's not clogged with dust, with a fresh (thin) layer of thermal paste, I was considering getting an aftermarket dual slot cooler.

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Whoah. Can you say "fire hazard"? :lol:

Hope those guys pay more attention to either cleaning their PC(s) from then on, or invest in a (couple) filtered cages...

8. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

The same thing happened to me, my HD 4850 was hitting over 100°C in Dreamfall (I think). I cleaned it, temps went back to around 70°C in the same game.