This gen consoles used as next gen dedicated server

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by dragonelite, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dragonelite

Veteran

Is it possible for sony and microsoft to release a firmware update so we can use the 360 and ps 3 as dedicated server for next gen consoles?

Or maybe even start experimenting this microsoft has the cheap arcade model its a way too sell some extra consoles to the hardcore you have to integrate it into live and perhaps make a bandwidth check to see how many slots your connection can support.

I believe sony already uses ps 3 as their dedicated servers for killzone 2 and warhawk but im not sure if they are user controlled or just from sony.
    Wouldn't mind buying a live server gamertag.

Sorry for bad English i hope you guys get what im saying.

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm sure they could do it, but I doubt they would.

3. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

MS already has been slowly not supporting system link--they want everything online through Live. Sony also hasn't been pushing the PS3 ded server angle. While I like the idea (32 player Reach on my 20Mb connection!) I don't think the big companies care.

4. Fafalada

Veteran

Right now, user controlled dedicated servers have about as much future as PC disc sales.
    It's just an added security risk to games with online monetization, and an added support-cost to games without one.

5. dragonelite

Veteran

Section 8 had user controlled dedicated server for 360 only they were on pc and user had to make a silver account. Shame it was the wrong game to do it with.
    They should try to get cod or some other big ip to make it succeed. http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/section-8-brings-user-created-dedicated-servers-to-xbox-360/

If microsoft was smart just dump that software for 360 but then again if i look at most dedicated game server they have 1~2 gig of ram so not sure how important that is. Because it seems they have no problems running p2p 12 player games with a game in memory.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It's certainly possible. You can do it now with Warhawk still, not sure about the rest. However I'm going to bet it will be easier to use next-gen consoles for this next-gen, because you can use the same game code and libs, probably requiring less of an investment.