This couldn't have been a real-time demo for the GCN, right?

If sometihng looks too good to be true it probably is.

It says FMV right on the page so that's likely what it is. Sorry! :cool:

TYhat said though.. The main character (or what appears to be it) looks really interesting I think. Kind of a roswell alien crossed with treebeard or something heh.

They should have made something out of that guy. No way the game could have looked as good as those pics but it would have been interesting nontheless.
Peace.

I remember that Demo. I always wondered in the past how come we didnt see such beautiful games on the GC after that demo. It was presented as a tech demo that showed GC's capabilities but it seems it was just another FMV to hype it up.

I am surprised Nintendo went that route since they arent known for such tacticts. Sony showed real time demos running on workstations to present PS2's abilities during that time.

I remember that Demo. I always wondered in the past how come we didnt see such beautiful games on the GC after that demo. It was presented as a tech demo that showed GC's capabilities but it seems it was just another FMV to hype it up.

I am surprised Nintendo went that route since they arent known for such tacticts. Sony showed real time demos running on workstations to present PS2's abilities during that time.

Hem, just to refresh your memory Nintendo have been presenting pre-rendered footage since the super nintendo (Starfox, Killer Instinct) the same goes or the N64 (Turok, Perfect Dark...).

Welcome to the real world. :cry:

Hem, just to refresh your memory Nintendo have been presenting pre-rendered footage since the super nintendo (Starfox, Killer Instinct) the same goes or the N64 (Turok, Perfect Dark...).

Never noticed really :oops:

Hmm, I guess it's fair to consider perfect dark not real time, but starfox had a decent framerate.

BTW, wasn't the rebirth demo supposed to be either
A: Bits of real time cinema interpolated with tons of FMV or....
B: Pre rendered using art assets that could have been done on gamecube.

Hmm, I guess it's fair to consider perfect dark not real time, but starfox had a decent framerate.

BTW, wasn't the rebirth demo supposed to be either
A: Bits of real time cinema interpolated with tons of FMV or....
B: Pre rendered using art assets that could have been done on gamecube.

I believe it it 'A." While most of the video was FMV, there was apparently a ~30 second section of the video that the developers claim was real-time on Gamecube hardware. They also stated that could have done the entire clip real-time if they had enough time.

It should also be noted that the Rebirth demo was created before GCN's GPU was downgraded.

I believe it it 'A." While most of the video was FMV, there was apparently a ~30 second section of the video that the developers claim was real-time on Gamecube hardware. They also stated that could have done the entire clip real-time if they had enough time.

It should also be noted that the Rebirth demo was created before GCN's GPU was downgraded.

Yeah, from what I remember that's correct. You should be able to spot the realtime segments of the video.

Edit: Actually it was about 12 seconds of realtime footage, now that I recall.

Last edited by a moderator:

I didnt know GC`s GPU was downgraded. Regardless that video looks great even for the PS3, 360 standards.

They also stated that could have done the entire clip real-time if they had enough time.
I don't think tgey could do that even if they had the time until our sun expands to eat all of the inner solar system. It doesn't look doable on the gamecube considering nothing ever released on the system comes close.

Npothing on the xbox whch arguably is a superior system on every front graphicswise comes close. Nothing on the PC at the tiem (far superior of xbox) comes close.

Today's consoles couldn't do that in realtime I wager. It looks too slick.
Peace.

I don't think tgey could do that even if they had the time until our sun expands to eat all of the inner solar system. It doesn't look doable on the gamecube considering nothing ever released on the system comes close.

Npothing on the xbox whch arguably is a superior system on every front graphicswise comes close. Nothing on the PC at the tiem (far superior of xbox) comes close.

Today's consoles couldn't do that in realtime I wager. It looks too slick.
Peace.

Agree, also it looks more like a simpler scene of 3Dmark03s forest test and that required quite a good GPU to run well.

Rebirth for Real

You can go looking for another source that backs up what IGN says but this should be enough. Part of the vid is real time and the link says what portion, though if you can't tell already I'm wondering how good some members sight in here really is in terms of judging vids. This and Waverace GC were the only tech demos that were never equaled or seen in real time in a gc game. Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, and Starwar tech (RL) demo were.

OT question was xbox ever maxed or peaked out by its games I thought alex ward and other devs said that neither gc or xbox was pushed like they could've been.

Rebirth for Real

You can go looking for another source that backs up what IGN says but this should be enough. Part of the vid is real time and the link says what portion, though if you can't tell already I'm wondering how good some members sight in here really is in terms of judging vids. This and Waverace GC were the only tech demos that were never equaled or seen in real time in a gc game. Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, and Starwar tech (RL) demo were.

OT question was xbox ever maxed or peaked out by its games I thought alex ward and other devs said that neither gc or xbox was pushed like they could've been.

The video was of very bad quality but still interesting. Neverthless one of the least impressive scenes (~first minute) was the real-time one.

Most of Rebirth was purely prerendered CGI. one segment looked like it could've been done realtime, and was said to have been done in realtime on GCN hardware.

I dug this up from USENET,
a post by nAo on what Spaceworld 2000 GCN demos were in terms of realtime or prerendered FMV.

Zelda Gamecube

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron Gamecube

Mario 128 Gamecube Demo

Luigi's Mansion

Metroid Gamecube

Wave Race

Rebirth

Too Human

Banjo-Kazooie Gamecube

Perfect Dark Gamecube

Meowth's Party

Cars Demo

http://groups.google.com/group/it.comp.console/msg/cb06ec799ed3ce3b?dmode=source&hl=en

that was posted August 24, 2000 -- probably before it came out that part of Rebirth was realtime

Most of Rebirth was purely prerendered CGI. one segment looked like it could've been done realtime, and was said to have been done in realtime on GCN hardware.

I dug this up from USENET,
a post by nAo on what Spaceworld 2000 GCN demos were in terms of realtime or prerendered FMV.
But how can this be?!?!!! We all know Sony invented the use of CG movies to showcase hardware at E3 2005!

;)

But how can this be?!?!!! We all know Sony invented the use of CG movies to showcase hardware at E3 2005!

;)

No! they are worse! They did it with PS2 tech demos in 1999 too like the Rubber Ducky, GT, FF, RR. Tekken etc! And they did some special magic on them so you would think you could move the camera! :p

Back