Thinking about upgrading to Radeon 9700 Pro...some questions

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Yannis, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Yannis

Newcomer

Hi,

I have been lurking in this newsgroup for many years (although with a different nickname), but I rarely post anything :)
    I have been thinking to jump to Radeon 9700 Pro from a GF4600. However after reading this forum, I keep having doubts:
    1)Is it worth the extra cost? I want to play games at 1280x1024x32bit max quality with AA and AF. GF4600 lets me play at 1280x1024x32 max quality, but without AA or AF.
    2)There seem to be some stutter problems. Has this been corrected?
    3)Are there any compatibility problems with Asus 845G motherboards?
    4)What about the minimum framerate? Some people here claim that to be much lower than the Geforce4 cards.
    5)How is 2D quality compared to Geforce? I work in 1280x1024x32bit.

So these are my concerns

Thanks in advance
    Yannis

2. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

1) Are video cards ever "worth" the upgrade? With the 9700 you'll be able to turn on AA and AF and that's why I bought one.

2) Some people have reported this. I don't have any stuttering issues in the games I play though.

3) Beats me - I'm an AMD guy right now

4) This has been beaten to death...check the recent thread on this topic for a link to an earlier thread

5) 2D is excellent. I run my desktop at 16x12x32 at 85 Hz and it looks great.

3. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

Hi,

I decided to buy the 9700pro when I got a new LCD display and my old ti200 didn't have a DVI connector. It was a pretty big upgrade. Like you, I wanted to run my monitor at 1280x1024, which is the native resolution of this LCD, with AA and aniso. For the most part, I'd say the 9700pro performs pretty admirably. I've only got a 1700+ cpu, so that holds things back a bit, but it's really a big improvement over the ti200. For ansewers to your questions:

1) I probably wouldn't upgrade from a ti4600 myself, but it's really all up to how much and how often you spend money on your computer. For me, buying a 9700pro was a bit of a luxury purchase, and I needed to get a new card for the DVI connector anyway. A 4600 is still a pretty respectable card, though the 9700pro (and the 9500pro) are both going to be a good deal faster with AA and aniso on. So should the NV30 for that matter.

2) I've not experienced this myself as far as I know, though I've had to turn off a lot of the AGP options due to my motherboard and crashing problems (it's a cheap SIS athlon board). If I remember right the stuttering was related to AGP, so perhaps I inadvertently am avoiding it due to my mobo.

3) No idea, I have an AMD cpu. I don't see why there would be unless it's documented though.

4) I looked into the framerate issue, and it doesn't seem to hold a lot of water. A couple of people made some histograms of framerates over time, and it looked like the only time the 9700pro had problems was on the initial uptake when the game (I think it was ut2003) started. Basically, when you first enter the game, the 9700pro's fps levels are low (perhaps there's still some processing happening from loading the level?) , but almost immediately the go up to where they should be. If I remember correctly, some other people mentioned that the performance numbers for the ATI cards in UT2003 where totally off in general, so atleast for now this seems like it's a rather big can of worms. There's a big thread here on B3D about it if you want to read.

5) This is a bit hard for me to tell you, because I'm using a DVI connector with the 9700pro, and I've not actually hooked an analog monitor up to it yet. From what people have been saying it's very good though. The DVI image is perfect, but then there should be very little difference between the ATI and nvidia cards when using DVI. Honestly at 1280x1024x32bpp you shouldn't really have a problem either way. ATI has traditionally been pretty good, and nvidia seems to have cleaned up their signal a lot from the TNT2 days.

Nite_Hawk

4. Natoma

Veteran

Yannis

If you have a ti4600, I would suggest that at this time, you wait another couple of months until the R350 and NV30 are available. If you were deciding on this purchase back in September, I would say go for the R300 immediately.

But you can wait just a while longer, and potentially get a nice improvement over that. And even if you can't afford an R350 or NV30, the R300 will most certainly drop in price in a couple of months due to those two being on the market.

My two cents. :)

5. Yannis

Newcomer

thank you all!

I dont know what I will do eventually.
    If I can buy the ATI cheap, I might do the change, otherwise I ll stick to my GF4.

Thanks again
    Yannis