Things to do with lots of ram (ramdrive, no kernel paging and such)

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I got Windows 7 64 bit with overkill 16GB ddr3 ram... well I thought I would use it for video editing but turns out I won´t be doing that for a while yet... so I was thinking of setting up a ramdrive of like 4-8 GB and installing a game to it. Have any of you set something like that up and what software do you use? (it would obviously have to backup the ramdrive data on my hard drive upon shutdown)

Also I found out by ctrl-alt-del that a lot of my kernel seems to be paged to my hard drive... is there any reason to keep it that way if I have enough of ram so that it could comfortably fit?

Also which would you think is better idea, disabling paging (pagefile) all together or would setting up a page file to a ram drive make any sense?

Sorry if this has been discussed but my search brought out only very old threads.

if your game saves data to your user directory you won't even have to deal with the shutdown issue.

you might want to try simple scripting, even using a .bat file that copies the game then launch it. it could test the game directory's presence in ramdisk.
if batch is too crappy (backwards nested IF ERRORLEVEL == anyone?) you could use authotkey instead, which is awesome.

disabling pagefile is asking for trouble, it's something not to do with windows.

Back