These forums ain't what they used to be* Moved from Console Forum

Weaste

Newcomer
So as the thread doesn't get derailed completely, I'm going to put a stop to the 'do inferior ports sell less' discussion. It's inconsequential to the subject of how multiplatform development is handled and the issues developers face, which is the core of this thread's purpose. That particular subtopic is nicely summed up as 'Do inferior ports sell less? Maybe, maybe not, but the Powers That Be want identical games regardless!'

Sorry to butt in here, and as you can see, I don't post here on a regular basis, as I very much enjoy reading some of the most insightful and informative posts without feeling any need to stick my oar in (which I have only done once before). I may only be a lowly yet experienced developer of ERP systems, yet I was at one time very active in the Amiga demo scene and am currently developing a game (XNA) as I always wanted to get into that line of work but never really had or sought out such opportunities. I can really understand professional games developers problems with porting (as we call it migrating), as it can be a total nightmare, I think even worse for people in my line of work.

However, I digress. What I am currently seeing on this forum is a laxing of standards. This maybe because the current crop of consoles are no longer new, but I rather feel that it is the influx of new members (and some older ones) that have little or no understanding of software development issues (let alone those specifically facing games developers), and they being allowed to voice subjective and sometimes misinfomred opinions without any type of control. The exploits of Quaz and the fact that everything he posts seems to appear on NeoGAF I suppose does not help with this. All I can see personally, and I could be wrong, is that the quality of this particular forum is not what it was a year or two ago. Even threads in the technical forum now get derailed at the drop of the hat with subjective nonsense.

The sad fact of the matter is what I have read from nAo's last post. It seems to me that the constant hounding of him by posters who cannot constuctively debate about the issues and ideas he proposes could in the end drive him away from posting on this forum at all. Why even bother? This is a danger I feel that the administrative staff (including moderators) of this website need to look at, because otherwise you will start to lose very valuable contributors.

Sorry for that, but I had to write something, delete (or do not approve) the post as you wish.

I won't ignore any well presented criticism if it has merit. I'll speak to the guys who look after that portion of the forums and see what's what, and see if there's anything that can or needs to be done.

Sorry it's a suboptimal place for you to hang out and read right now, cheers for letting us know how you feel (if only everyone did!).

I personally haven't seen all that much that's out of character with 'press-conference season', as I call it. ;)

Back