Thermal grease consistency...

Saem

Veteran
I've got an old tube of AK-100 thermal grease lying around, except the consistency seems off. it seems as if it's separated, with parts of it being a rather runny liquidy cloudy white and other parts being more like a paste. Just wondering if this is normal?

Yes, that's normal for this type of compound. Just make certain to mix the entire contents thoroughly prior to use. In a thin layer at an active junction it won't separate.

Okay, so from what I remember, I haven't done this in a while.

Apply the paste on the contact surface of the HS/F, give it a big of a stir in this case to clean up the consistency

Move it on to the CPU, make sure the spread is good, try to keep it a thin layer (due to the high pressure retension mechanism)

Then wipe of any huge blobs outside of the contact area.

Double check.

Then you're done?

The retension mechanism is so tight that there barely seems to be a film, craziness, guess I'm just not used to this.

Arctic Silver has useful guides on their site. Your product is most similar to their ceramique solution.

You will need to completely mix the entire contents of the tube prior to use, not just a small amount squirted out from the tube. Otherwise, you cannot be sure that you have correct proportions of the constituents.

I find it best to apply a small drop to the core & use a thin, flexible strip of plastic film to uniformly (& thinly) coat the surface. I then fit the heat sink. You can also apply a small amount to the heatsink & rub it in as per AS instructions, but I've found trivial difference. Some people like to use applicators or craft shop rollers & mask off the die area as well as lap the HS. I can't be bothered...

Saem said:
The retension mechanism is so tight that there barely seems to be a film, craziness, guess I'm just not used to this.

When seen under a microscope, a smooth metal surface looks more like the surface of the moon: full of craters and mountains. The idea is to fill the craters in both surfaces with the compound, so the whole surface is in contact with the other one.

That little compound is nearly invisible.

Back