There's a lot of spam posted to the forum these days.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Well, the general forum. But still.

Could we have a couple days of cooldown on posting for newly registered users, maybe? New posts must be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible?

If the spammers can't make their initial bombing run, chances are they'll simply never come back at all - or so I would like to think anyway...

@Rys , yeah there seems to be something set differently on the general forum than the other ones. They also seem to do their drive bys anywhere from 4am to 6am eastern standard time, which I think is 9am to 11am UTC.

Last edited:
@Rys do you use the StopForumSpam part of the User Registration options? I have an account with StopForumSpam and it works fantastic. I know you'd got a lot more user registrations here but in the last year I've only had one spammer get through out of couple of thousand user registrations.

If you're gonna use ip blocking... Can you white list my account beforehand?

I often got ip banned from eurogamer, guru3d, and many more.

Simply because my ISP use dynamic ip and my country is a nest of viruses, malware, spam, blah blah blah

The stopforumspam system is for blocking users at registration, not once they're a member.

Last edited:
Yep, I use StopForumSpam and I clean out the accounts in the morning when I get to work that have been caught by it. I agree there's a problem with general spam and new accounts being registered. It's on my list to look at this weekend. I've at least got to work on new reCAPTCHA integration, but I'll look at the general settings too.

@orangpelupa the reason you couldn't see my posts earlier in the thread is because I hadn't made any ;) They were just @ing my name to get my attention (which didn't work, I found this thread manually).

So Rys can be summoned at will by doing this? @Rys I Choose You!

Edit: Its seems the @Rys part is the only part that matters.

I serve he who shall not be named. Your insignificant query is not worthy of consideration.

I'll take a look and see if there's a general pattern that I can spot, to help clamp down on it. I've noticed a higher than usual proportion of people being stopped at registration time by StopForumSpam, but I didn't realise so much was getting through.

Back