There is this rumour going around about PSPs analog stick...

Truly analog? Aren't most joysticks simply a combination of reads in 4 directions anyhow? The analog portion comes into play by how much in one axis.

Ty said:
Truly analog? Aren't most joysticks simply a combination of reads in 4 directions anyhow? The analog portion comes into play by how much in one axis.
But this is supposed to be like the old Intellivision pads with eight digital contact-points placed in a circle. No pots og pizo detectors.

No, it's a speaker. ;)

Fredi

PS: From the gameplay videos I've seen and some previews, I'm pretty sure its a real analog disc (yeah, it's not a stick).

Squeak said:
But this is supposed to be like the old Intellivision pads with eight digital contact-points placed in a circle. No pots og pizo detectors.

It is NOT digital contact pads. I would guess there are normal (but tiny) pots along the axis'.

Blade said:
All I've heard about it is that it's way too loose. That might not be true.

It is a bit loose and I wonder if it will last (i.e. will the springs last). I do wish it was stiffer. The throw is fairly decent though.

We'll all know what it is soon enough -- as soon as Lik Sang gets one to take apart. :)

But my guess is that it's a 2D slider system, rather than a joystick system. HP used something like this for their "popsicle stick" mini mouse that came with their old super-mini PCs. One advantage of this system is that the sensors can be located off-center from the button itself, which is handy when you want to position the button close to the edge of the device.

I predict that the feeling is like sliding a coat button or small coin around on a table, rather than pivoting a joystick. The "centering" action may be small or even non-existant.

FatherJohn said:
I predict that the feeling is like sliding a coat button or small coin around on a table, rather than pivoting a joystick.
The "centering" action may be small or even non-existant.

That's exactly how it feels. It does NOT pivot like a mini-joystick. More like sliding a coin around on a table (as you said) but I wish the pull to the center would be a bit stronger (it is there).

^^ I was hoping it would be like the ibm nipple errr... mouse-stick I use on my laptop... :?

I think for a racing game, you'd want a device with more throw as the extra granularity can make huge difference in the "feel" of a game.

Back