"Theoretical" ? wtf ?

I'm not discovering it now, but I've decided I would rant about it now. Isn't english usually quite concise? Don't we say a theory and not a "theorety"?
I find this usage illogetical and wastefutetical in terms of letters, what's wrong with "theorical" and "theorically"?

geo, that's some serious shit, I'm giving up reading it till the end.

I could have search the etymology but was lazy. looks like English sticking to a plain old classical Latin version (copy-pasted in turn from even older greek) rather than just adding -cal to the noun.
Pretty much all such latin/greek words are the same in French and English (if you consider -que and -cal are the same thing), that's why that added syllab feels so awkard to me :p

(btw how funny you say "unique" and not "unical" but I don't complain about that)

Isn't english usually quite concise?

See that is where you messed up - English is a very quirky and hard to learn language and then you have the colloquialisms, slang and plain absurdity to deal with too.

No wonder I can't get it right.

English is still one of the easiest languages to learn. Except for a few exceptions here and there, and the totally lack of rules when it comes to spelling and pronounciation, it's fairly consistent and the grammar is simpler than I'd guess 95% of the other languages out there. I think one of the reasons why there's a more accepting culture to immigrants in the US and Canada versus most of Europe has at least some to do with a lower language barrier. As an immigrant you can fairly quickly reach the point where you can communicate reasonably with other people in English, and once you learn it you don't neccesarily sound like an immigrant anymore. People that come to Sweden and try to pick up Swedish will generally sound like immigrants to their death, unless they came when they were teenagers or younger. I bet it's the same in many other European languages.

English much easier than most languages to learn as a 2nd language, however it is one of the most difficult to learn as a 1st language.
It wasnt long ago I saw some study(newscientist?) that showed that it takes longer to master english as a first language than all the others.(That were in the survey)

I think English is easy to learn to speak, but hard to learn to write. Nothing like Chinese and Japanese though, so I'm not complaining.

Pretty much all such latin/greek words are the same in French and English (if you consider -que and -cal are the same thing), that's why that added syllab feels so awkard to me

That's ironic considering English is technically a Germanic based language.

And the main reason why English is so hard to learn is because a lot of English isn't really English, it's words borrowed from other languages.

"Logical" has always bugged me, and I still tend NOT to use it, and using "logic" as both noun and adjective instead. It just sounds so unnatural to me...Theroretical, no problem with that, for in Italian we also have the word "teoretica" (gnoseology), which is different from "teoria" (theory).

That's ironic considering English is technically a Germanic based language.

And the main reason why English is so hard to learn is because a lot of English isn't really English, it's words borrowed from other languages.

a quarter of english word are latin, and another quarter are french. It was an easy to learn language for me. Also in the NES/SNES era most games weren't translated (except for things like zelda 3, secret of mana and adventure PC games), so when very young I learned quite a number of things (game over, continue, load, save, life, retry etc. :D )

Back