The Wolf Among Us

Scott_Arm

Legend
No love for Telltale on this forum. No thread for this series. Just played the first episode of The Wolf Among Us. Fantastic. Same quality as Tales from the Borderlands. Never should have passed over these games. Honestly, some of the best gaming I've done in years. The Telltale Collection should be cheap on just about every platform, and I recommend it strongly.

I picked up the collection pack when it was on sale.

The Tales from the Borderlands captures the humor and setting of Borderlands perfectly.i can't wait for the next episodes.

The first episode in their Game of Thrones captures the twists and gore of the real series well. It does well to make you feel part of the setting and events without taking cheap tactics by having you play a well know character from the TV show. It's a tough balancing act picking your responses as you're stuck between two difficult choices at all times.

I heard The Wolf Among Us had positives reviews when it was released, but I had no idea what it was about. If it wasn't part of the collection I likely wouldn't have picked it up. I'm glad it was included. I finished all the episodes of season one. I was laughing so loud at times with their take on the fairy tales. Especially the way the one character was dancing. This series is the highlight of the collections I played so far. I can't wait to see what they come up with for season two.

I'm playing through The Walking Dead Season One now. It's good as well, but the dialog responses seem to be a bit too tough/harsh at times. The controls are a little different than the others and you definitely can die if you're not quick enough or hit the wrong button.

I picked up the collection pack when it was on sale.

Did the same. I'd played TWD S1 and loved it, so wanted to pick up S2. Getting the collection on the XB1 meant I could play through S1 again and keep all the saves on the same box.

So I'm currently playing through the Wolf Among Us. Just finished Ep1 and it is indeed pretty good.

I hated the walking dead and couldn't get into it. But the Wolf Among Us had a good deal so I gave it a shot, and I like it better. God do adventure games need that next step in natural language interaction though.

God do adventure games need that next step in natural language interaction though.

These games should have support for Kinect (and PS-Eye) voice interactions. That would make them seem a bit more interactive on the dialog portions.

Right now it would be sufficient to smile, look indifferent or look angry ... Interaction rarely goes much further. I have a prototype where I can tell the computer that a blue vase is on the table and the red flower is in the vase, and it will be able to remember and answer questions like where is the blue flower, etc. Its so easy to do something interesting where you could tell the game stuff it remembers, and it would so change the interaction you'd have with its characters!

Can anybody give me a brief spoiler-free rundown on what the story is about? I've read several reviews but they all skirt the story. I really liked The Walking Dead but then I'm a big fan of the genre. What I didn't like what the false premise that decisions matter and having played it several times, decisions really don't matter.

Making decisions is really an illusion of choice because things largely play out the same.

@DSoup, in The Wolf Among Us, you play as the sherrif of a medium-sized city where other fables live. You begin to investigate crimes that happen and attempt to track down the criminals.

I don't want to say more, as a lot of the experience is in learning who's in the story and how they're currently living.

I finished it yesterday. It has really despicable villains. Overall, I though it was great, even though the story is a little ridiculous. You can tell it was based on a comic book. They did a really good job of making you think hard about your decisions.

I finished it yesterday. It has really despicable villains. Overall, I though it was great, even though the story is a little ridiculous. You can tell it was based on a comic book. They did a really good job of making you think hard about your decisions.

I'll probably bag this at the weekend. Have you a chance to replay any of it yet with different decisions to see how it varies?

I'll probably bag this at the weekend. Have you a chance to replay any of it yet with different decisions to see how it varies?

No, I haven't had a chance. To little time to play through more than once, especially with other games to play.

I have to ask. Are the accents in TWAU regionalised in any way? The reason I ask is that some of the characters (well, up to the point I've reached so far) have accents that I would have thought a US audience would find rather strange. Georgie Porgie springs to mind. :)

I have to ask. Are the accents in TWAU regionalised in any way? The reason I ask is that some of the characters (well, up to the point I've reached so far) have accents that I would have thought a US audience would find rather strange. Georgie Porgie springs to mind. :)

I don't know. I just thought they were using a New Jersey accent or some other white trash invoking accent.

I don't know. I just thought they were using a New Jersey accent or some other white trash invoking accent.

It's a Yorkshire accent. Or at least a credible attempt to mimic one. All he needed was a whippet and a flat cap and the image would have been complete. Just strange hearing one in a game (rather than all day long where I live and work).

Please tell me, at some point, he says "Trouble at' Mill" :yes:

Finally got to play this game, I enjoyed it so much I can't believe I missed it, it was unappealing to me when it launched. Episodes are very short, I'm glad I had all 5 episodes immediately, because waiting for them would have bored me.

Choices in game mostly impact the other characters dialogs toward you, it's very "role playing" style where you choose to be good/neutral/evil and all choices lead to a satisfactory story. It's not really branching. Some scenes differ but the main story itself always going back in a single track. This is not a problem.

I loved the "comic book" look, it's a MUCH better use of production budget than the walking dead (which needed a realistic look and not really succeeding, but I guess too expensive for such a small game). Great film noire kind of story, deliberately corny fantasy setting, 80's period with big cellphones and techno music. Everything worked well. (I think the ending sucked but I'm being difficult). It's fun to play a second time trying other choices to trigger different dialogs (and knowing everything).

I am unfamiliar with Bill Willingham's comics, I assume it's where all the fun parts come from. The fables characters, being rewritten overly realistic, anti-cliche, with flawed personalities and bad relationships. The more you know about these fables the more you laugh. It also gave an instant frame of reference for each character so there was no need for elaborate exposition. The exposition is about the differences, and you get a paragraph for each character in the "fables" menu to look it up whenever you want to.

[rant]
I got the platinum for basically finishing the game, this is not normal. 20% rarity for a plat? You can't miss anything, it's just choices that all work and a few easy QTE here and there. Hell, my GT6 and Knack platinums have a 0.8% rarity. I don't get why some publishers get a free pass for handing out plats just for finishing a short story game with no difficulty whatsoever.
[/rant]

Back