The Witcher

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Jun 19, 2007.

1. DuckThor Evil

DuckThor Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Don't have to worry about me finishing it. I've played atleast 5h each day during the past 7 days. Pretty much done all the sidequests too.

Yeah it's a great game, there are some things where it doesn't hold a candle to say Bioware games like conversations/voice acting, but in many areas this excels. Some chapters have had little bit too much back and forth running, but all in all I'm really happy I finally got to play this and isn't the sequel coming out pretty soon too?

#341 DuckThor Evil, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  2. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Completely agree! Took me 55h of playtime on medium difficulty to finish this game! III chapter is the longest, I think the best soundtrack/art for me was IV and the ending was like 'WTF! I see now, but why?' :grin:

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Wish I could. :p I've now tried 4 times to finish the game over the past couple years. And haven't been able to make it past Act 3 before losing interest. Not sure why, other than perhaps I just get bored of the horrible combat.

I'm probably going to give the Witcher 2 a chance though depending on how reviews for it goes and whether combat was changed.

Regards,
    SB

4. suryad

Veteran

The combat I do agree is really boring. I have preordered my copy of Witcher 2 @ GOG and am hoping that all my expectations dont get dashed!

5. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

Finished it about an hour ago. Great game, although the ending left lot's of unanswered questions and I absolutely hate those...

I wonder if the sequel is going to touch some of them.

6. woundingchaney

Regular

It is my understanding that yes it will.

7. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Im planing to start playing this game soon, do you reccomend plain version or do i need to install some mods?

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Is it an older copy? If so make sure you download the official Enhanced Addition addon/patch - it makes the game a lot better.

9. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

Is that an estimate or is there a timer somewhere that I missed, would like to know how much I put into it. Really good game anyways. The last chapter felt little bit too linear compared to the rest, but then again it didn't have any boring events or backtracking whatsoever.

10. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Steam counts your time spent in a game :wink:.
    Pretty accurate, because I wasn't messing around while playing this game (read: making coffees or entertaining my wife while in game).

Edit: I just double checked on my Steam profile and it was 58 hours! I think most if not all side quests done bare 2 (One of them was the poker champion, I lost with the last player and no second chance was given).

11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The Steam count always get screwed for me when I accidentally leave a game on pause all day while I'm out and about.

12. suryad

Veteran

I must say I warmed up the the poker mini-game quite slowly but started liking them towards the end and beat everyone. The bar brawls were more fun though.

13. aaronspink

Veteran

Bar brawls were too easy. Wait for person to swing, hit, wait, hit, wait, hit. Weak.

14. suryad

Veteran

Its just fun some times to beat up people you know you will be able to beat up without any difficulty especially after a nice day's work of fighting monsters!

15. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I enjoyed it quite a bit my 2nd play through of the game. Good way of getting the gold for upgrading your armor in chapter 2.

16. suryad

Veteran

All this talk of playing the game, I think I may just reinstall it and play it all the way through again. I think i had pretty much unlocked everything and achieved everything, but still it was impossible to max out the abilities of Geralt.

17. I.S.T.

Veteran

There just aren't enough talents given out per level to do that. You basically have to use cheats.

P.S. For anyone thinking of playing this game, major in the Igni sign. It does damage, hits multiple enemies and makes them take more damage from your swords. It also has a poison-like effect doing continuous damage. It's basically easy mode, lol.

18. I.S.T.

Veteran

I had trouble with it past Chapter 2. I guess because I have slow reflexes.

19. aaronspink

Veteran

As long as you wait for them to begin their windup, you should be fine.

20. suryad

Veteran

Yep. That's the trick. And yeah there were not enough talents in the game. I am not aware of any cheats for the game but I think fighting and destroying every monster you see on the screen should probably net you enough experience points to get the talents maybe? It will be extremely tedious but that is the only non-cheat way I can think of.