The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

There was a patch today to improve the stability of DLSS3 in the game too. Can't say I can spot a specific difference but the game really is super smooth for me now.

An entire article on the emotional stress of not being able to play games at maximum settings. The author proposes that we would have been better off if Witcher 3 was not upgraded because it’s now harder to max out the quality slider. It’s such a ridiculous and backwards take on graphics progress. Let’s not push the envelope as long as we can feel good about running at “ultra”.

^ that guy sounds like resetera console players pretending that they're actually pc gamers and lord, they're getting fed up with various issues. He starts with saying the best bit of pc gaming is "having the speed and power to be able to whack everything on Ultra". Then continues with the good ol "worst bit is when you can’t whack everything on ultra, and so have to Fiddle: endlessly tweaking a bewildering array of switches and sliders in order to find the perfect balance between performance and visual fidelity. Incessantly calibrating a piece of software with all the complexity of one that monitors the status of a nuclear reactor" nonsense that i've never actually seen any pc gamer ever say in the olden days.

^ that guy sounds like resetera console players pretending that they're actually pc gamers and lord, they're getting fed up with various issues. He starts with saying the best bit of pc gaming is "having the speed and power to be able to whack everything on Ultra". Then continues with the good ol "worst bit is when you can’t whack everything on ultra, and so have to Fiddle: endlessly tweaking a bewildering array of switches and sliders in order to find the perfect balance between performance and visual fidelity. Incessantly calibrating a piece of software with all the complexity of one that monitors the status of a nuclear reactor" nonsense that i've never actually seen any pc gamer ever say in the olden days.
I love tweaking and customizing, that's the beauty of PC gaming.

right so tweaking options i like and disabling options i dont to get picture i want at reasonable performance is PITA now? Ok .... cool story

"Incessantly calibrating a piece of software with all the complexity of one that monitors the status of a nuclear reactor"

The author sounds like you need phd to do so while my 12 years old nephews do that and they are dumb as f ....

Hello,

My Google skillz are lacking it seems, but have you find an ITW somewhere explaining why they did the "next gen version" of the W3 the way they did it (sort of a d3d11 to 12 wrapper/conversion tool), vs what they did for CP2077, which natively run in DX12 mode with a decent cpu usage ? I mean, it's the same RED engine "base", even if the displayed worlds are very differents. I get that you can't just copy/past assets&scripts in the updated engine, but they took some times to get th W3NG patch out of the door anyway (god knows what happened with Saber...).

I love tweaking and customizing, that's the beauty of PC gaming.
Its double edged sword tho.

Sometimes I spent MORE time tweaking (and modding) than playing the game itself.

That's why I love/hate unreal games. Oooh the dev is so dumb, they force enable chromatic aberration! No worries I'll dig into the ini file and disable it by hand.

On non unreal games, like witcher 3, I simply accept the fact and just enjoy playing (and then look for mods).

A new patch is out with these important fixes:
  • Fixed an issue with ray-traced vegetation shadows “popping”, depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
  • Performance improvements to ray-traced global illumination and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed an issue where a grid of light spots could appear on the ground and walls in certain weather conditions with Ray Tracing enabled.

Main reason I turned off ray tracing. The shadow pop-in is awful.

Agreed it was definitely bad. I'm happy to report it's almost entirely cleared up now though. I did notice one or two minor instances while looking for it, but nothing at all like what it used to be. I wouldn't hesitate to use RT now.

Since they improved RT performance as well I decided to try winning with DLSS Quality rather than balanced as I previous had been. Definitely seems faster as although I seem to be GPU limited rather than CPU limited in my particular foliage rich test area, the frame rate is still >65 fps with FG and frame times are actually smoother thanks to moving the limit off the CPU.

The game looks and plays absolutely beautifully now maxed out at 3840x1600 with DLSS Q. I really need to play Blood and Wine which I barely started back in the day.

A new patch is out with these important fixes:
  • Fixed an issue with ray-traced vegetation shadows “popping”, depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
  • Performance improvements to ray-traced global illumination and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed an issue where a grid of light spots could appear on the ground and walls in certain weather conditions with Ray Tracing enabled.
they added XeSS. Time to play the game again with RT on and see how the performance goes.

Interesting that they admit that they incorporated a fan mod for script fixes into the update. But they did their own fix for the spider webs becoming purple / pink instead of using the fan mod

Interesting that they admit that they incorporated a fan mod for script fixes into the update. But they did their own fix for the spider webs becoming purple / pink instead of using the fan mod
gosh, that's an issue I reported to Intel thinking it was an Intel thing, now I know it's not.

Back