The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Yes, great news. Though I have to reinstall the game which means that the 1.51 patch is.....20 GB . All these patches , combined with a new tv, make these games feel so fresh and totally justify the presence of these mid-gen consoles , for me at least. Now let’s get this doom patch...

I never liked the chunky, jaggy way foliage is being drawn in The Witcher 3, and these 4K shots aren't helping.

Seriously, I cannot think of any somewhat modern open world game where foliage looks less convincing.

Finally the download ended and started the game. Quite substantial upgrade, the game looks really clean and sharp. It was quite sharp even at 1080p, not the image has a great “pop” .

Tried the patch, it doesn't look razor sharp as native 4k but more like CBR 4k honestly. The omission of HDR is the big bummer but hey at least we got a patch, I guess the Advanced Contrast Enhancer on my TV "Faux HDR" would have to make do for now. Game does look much better than before.

And my eyes didn't lie to me.
We've only just started to look at the upgraded version of the title, but it's pretty clear from the outset that CD Projekt RED is using checkerboard rendering to boost the presentation of the game from its native 1080p on base hardware. This technique effectively sees the developer render a 1920x2160 framebuffer in a checkerboard configuration, typically filling in the gaps using information from prior frames.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-heres-what-the-witcher-3-looks-like-on-ps4-pro

Last edited:
The Game of the year edition is definitely worth it over the regular version with those sale prices (worth it at far higher prices also). I guess if you end up not liking the main game, would you ever play the expansions? but those two DLCs put a ton of extra high quality content on it, I'd say easily 40h or more. The game might take a while to grow on you, so don't give up after a few hours... and perhaps a short history lesson from the previous games would make you feel more invested in the world and characters.

It's a pretty rich setting, so you'd get what you invest into playing, exploring, and reading. Depends on whether you can slide into the meat of a fantasy and stick with it.

I jumped into the universe with TW2 (still haven't read the books), but I think you just need to know the general relationship with Geralt. TW3 is enjoyable in its own right if the writing jives with you. There is a pretty good amount of consistency from beginning to end, so it pays to remember things that happen early in the game (be it side quest or main story).

Took me about 130 hours on easy to complete the main story and expansion quests. I didn't bother going after every marker on the map either.

I’m happy to spend hundreds of hours on a good game. Just never been too sure about the setting and story.
One of the best worlds to enter ! period.
You might not feel that much about the characters as I did because I had read the books and almost all dialogues wink at something that happnened in th ebooks, but I guess most of the gamers havent read those books anyways. The dialogues are anyways good, just that if u have read the books, they always carry another layer and make u smile, reminisce or make a lump in ur throat ! its an added bonus but nothing that makes the game lesser if u havent cos none of those events happened in the timeline of the games.
I jumped in with W3 in the games and it is the best realised lore and world, IMO. You willl love the side quests. Those little short storeis are the real game, the main story isnt even that convincing to me.
oh and it was worth every penny of that $60, so at any price lesser, its a steal !

Last edited:
Started it :)
At that price, you can't really go wrong anyway.
Weird, it's one of those slow starters and I understand relatively little of what's going on, but not to the point of getting bored, neither pushing me to stop playing as it usually happens, for whatever reason.
Yes, it takes its time telling u how to prepare for a fight. Listen to all it says, its not that heavy or anything, just th emechanics. Once u kill that first monster in the field(forgot its name) you will be let lose outside White Orchard, into the open world full of mystique , exploration and short stories !

have fun ! Your posts are pushing me towards starting that new game+ I have always thought of doing ! :D

Weird, it's one of those slow starters and I understand relatively little of what's going on, but not to the point of getting bored, neither pushing me to stop playing as it usually happens, for whatever reason.

The Witcher 3 was my first introduction to this universe and I'm not hugely into fantasy games (swords and magic etc) but the Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've played. The first 3-10 hours, depending on how long you spend in the staring area, is really just a huge tutorial area teaching you story basics, game mechanics and introducing characters.

Of course, you starting area feels large, then you get into the real game. :runaway:

Back