The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

I just hope the PS4 version doesn't have too much aliasing or shimmering. The art is so good, I want a clean image, even if some effects are lost. BTW< I don't get why they don't use POM. That road can look real with POM.

I love the pic in the dirty backstreets. It really demonstrates how the world of Witcher 3 really has matured to the point that its urban settings are seemingly just as robust as its rural environments.

Does Geralt have parkour abilities?
I think ti would be a pity if we could be limited to "ground level" exploration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those PC photos use downsampling on absolute ultra settings, I don't know what kind of beast of a system would be needed have that level of downsampling at those settings and run at 30fps. 99.999% of PC gamers do not have rigs currently that can play that at image quality level.

I'm not convinced there's downsampling going on in those shots. Looks like straight up 1080p to me.

Might be a rather broken 4x msaa or 2x. The trees are telling, but I'm on mobile at the moment.

Of anything I'd say those shots need some supersampling, they look pretty noisy to me. Kudos to the devs for not posting bullshots though.

Might be a rather broken 4x msaa or 2x. The trees are telling, but I'm on mobile at the moment.

Yep. That would be my guess too. No downsampling, only some reasonable 2X maybe 4XMSAA maximum.

But the assets are really next gen, high geometry and high resolution assets everywhere and most importantly, the impressive AF.

This is something I don't like when I read it:

As much as the world of Arkham City is interesting and fun, I don't like the combat at all ! I would have liked something akin to action games or skill-based-precise Demon/Dark souls stuff.

Still, I am waiting with baited breath. Their whole sensibility towards games and their art style is beautiful. Same for the characters and world they create, so ethereal, so fantastical ! Their rendering, though most impressive, has a flatness to surfaces which I don't like. Maybe, its just a simple lack of POM but its a small nitpick in a flawless beauty !

Yeah, if they moved to Assassin's Creed/ Arkham style combat that would be terrible.

Give me a proper combat system anyday, not some glorified timing game.

-If it is raining, villagers will run for shelter, and if it’s deathly cold, they will seek a source of warmth. If faced with an attack, they will defend themselves, whether you are involved or not.

-Approaching storms can be spotted from afar, and will eventually reach you, affecting your steering ability and wreaking havoc on your vessel.

-The new economic system in place sees merchants charge more for fish the further they are from the sea, for example.

-Depending on whether it is broad daylight or night, certain creatures may go into hiding, awaken, or even become stronger/weaker.

-Sign usage is faster, able to be utilised fluidly as an integral part of your offensive arsenal. Each of the five Signs now have a primary and secondary application, i.e., the Igni fire blast can be held to develop into a flamethrower.

-The potions will work in a different way than in The Witcher 2. So now you will prepare them, you will drink them before a fight, but you can release the effect of those whenever you want. So it’s not like you’ve drunk the potion and you have 30 seconds of boost and then it wears off. You can start the fight in the moment it suits you, and if the fight proves hard, you can just release the effect through your metabolism. But if the fight is easy, you can preserve that and use it in the next fight.

-The inventory will be akin to a decidedly more traditional, classic grid system

-The story will have a definitive end – ergo, you will not be able to continue past end-game and tie up loose ends, yet they feel you make of the experience what you will, and missing out on one minor interaction here or there is not such a big deal.

Full impression: http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/02/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-hands-off-impressions/
6L557rZ.jpg

u7ux8AA.jpg

nu19h9v.jpg

Y7JSrV8.jpg

ViSpfxK.jpg

BgzYFjB.jpg

The game I got my PS4 for !

Those pix look great, very atmospheric! I hope this game appeals, I've not played the previous two outings but I'm not sure I could played a fantasy game unless it's very open world. I've been spoiled by Oblivion and Skyrim.

I need to explore a world that interesting-looking at my own pace.

I'll wait to see which version - PC or PS4 - gets better results, but I'll probably be targeting a full-price purchase on GOG for this. I really want to put my money straight into the horse's mouth.

Those pix look great, very atmospheric! I hope this game appeals, I've not played the previous two outings but I'm not sure I could played a fantasy game unless it's very open world. I've been spoiled by Oblivion and Skyrim.

I need to explore a world that interesting-looking at my own pace.

This one is open world. But combat is not unpolished like Skyrim, from what I hear. It should be a great fit.

Rumour from gaf user:

Please please hit 1080p, CDPR, I will :love: u forever !

Ditto! I don't even mind if it dips down to mid 20s, just lower the shadow quality, use SSAO instead of HBAO, use 1/4 alpha, lower the precision for shaders and whatever you gotta do to attain that 1080p buffer and I will buy the PS4 version day one. Otherwise might have to get a Steambox in the future for this kind of game.

Could they be using dynamic resolution between 900p and 1080p for the PS4?

Ditto! I don't even mind if it dips down to mid 20s, just lower the shadow quality, use SSAO instead of HBAO, use 1/4 alpha, lower the precision for shaders and whatever you gotta do to attain that 1080p buffer and I will buy the PS4 version day one. Otherwise might have to get a Steambox in the future for this kind of game.

Exactly. And while at it, do away with post processing, and halve the drawing distance. Kill aniso, actually, kill any texture filtering all together and get just nearest neighbour sampling without perspective correction. Also drop overall texture res and polycounts, and give us crisp perfect 16x Super sampled 1080p. Oh that would look amazing!

I don't think they'll need to cut back all that much. I imagine they're trying to do it through engine optimization without having to cut back anything at all. But if something has to go, I'd rather they started with the more subtle effects first, the ones you'd have to do side-by-side comparisons and zooms to even notice that something changed.

For the love of God, don't drop anisotropic filtering. We've been without that on consoles for way too long, and it's an absolute eyesore when it's missing. You don't want eyesore with a game like this.

Back