The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by swaaye, Jul 20, 2020.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Has anyone else played this game? It's a sort of lightweight story oriented, mission based immersive sim. I've got about 20 hours on it now. I wish the respawning wasn't a thing but otherwise it's entertaining me. I'm playing with the HP Reverb. Works perfectly.

I feel like it offers a VR experience around the same level as Alyx and it does melee quite well I think. Quite visceral. With occasional viscera heh.

It's UE4 and looks alright. It has that watercolor look to the texturing that reminds me of Dishonored and I suppose the other Walking Dead games which I have not played. The main issue I notice with visuals is their occasional problems with disproportionate modeling of stuff like doors and cabinetry. Inside houses mostly.

You get a bit messy working your way around town.
    20200713_201003_MixedReality.jpg

These gals were soon eaten by some walkers. This is an entrance to a clan stronghold.
    20200715_151928_MixedReality.jpg

#1 swaaye, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    manux and BRiT like this.
  2. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

That first pic just seems so wrong. Holding a knife with the left hand.

3. swaaye

Legend

I'm primarily left handed :) You can do whatever you like in this game. Throw it up in the air and grab it with the other hand on a whim. Same with any other object.

#3 swaaye, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    eastmen likes this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I'm sorry. :lol: I know it couldn't have been easy growing up being outside the typical norms. I remember all the issues my sister had with being left-handed. Hell, there's much I find as being awkward even being a right-hander and using products made for the right hand.

Sorry again, didn't mean to go off on a tangent.

So with the melee part, does it seem natural with the controllers or is it a bit awkward? That always seemed like something natural for a Kinect-like system or one with sensitive enough motion controllers.

5. swaaye

Legend

Heh yeah no problem. I am somewhat ambidextrous. Thankfully I feel right-handed mousing is natural. But with a joystick I can't hit anything right-handed. It's a curious thing. I certainly can't write with my right hand.

The melee is pretty solid, particularly with single-handed weapons. VR gives you depth perception and that is very beneficial. Fortunately most things can be used with one hand. There are some items that should be or must be used two-handed and this is where it falls apart because I just can not get a good sense of operation of a weightless imaginary object with two hands. The pump shotgun I find especially challenging to operate in a tense situation. I keep getting killed while trying to backpedal, aim, shoot, pump to reload, etc. In a sense everything is melee in VR.

BRiT likes this.
  6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Watch out Brit , us lefties stick together ! I even married a lefty ! Left for life !

Dictator likes this.
  7. Davros

Legend

I thought you were on the right ;)

8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

just a little when i first wake up after that it lists to the left

Anyway i played the game awhile ago and it seemed fun. There was other stuff on my list to pick up first

9. swaaye

Legend

I finished the game. Overall I enjoyed it but the story was fairly weak and the player influence minimal. Not many characters to interact with.

There is only a short period of safe time you have once traveling to each area before the zombie hordes come and you either need to go back home or die. So it's all rushed and this isn't the kind of tension they should have gone for.

Favorite city area was the high school because it's larger than other areas and pretty interesting.

In general I feel like the game is a basic form of Dishonored essentially and that fits my gaming tastes well. So I looked past the quirks. Best VR thing I've found so far.

eastmen likes this.