The W10 store or gamepass PC is the only secure platform without CHEATERS nowadays.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
There's a lot of good stuff about this. Like no one online annoys your experience. From aimbots or wallhacks on PCs and consoles to infinite resources in pc online strategy games.

With people like this you lose the fun factor of rascality and surprise, or situations where you make a smarter move than another person which gives you an advantage. Sometimes I've cried with laughter playing online about how much fun certain moments were, and that's completely lost to cheaters.

In the Windows 10 Store and on PC gamepass this does not happen. It is a totally safe and impassable system - for the time being. Mods are allowed, but exe files and things like that are not touched.

This has its bad things. To stream or record video, certain devices that accessed the .exe for that -something that happened to @Malo -, now they can't, so you have to look for alternatives, but it's a minor evil.

This also causes some issues with handling the folders of those games, but anyway, for me it's the least of it.

There is also this feature in Windows 10.

9f482a31043fee100235585204d3f55b70977b30.jpeg

Mods are allowed, but exe files and things like that are not touched.

That means interesting mods aren't allowed. The modern vanguard of modding is mostly in Unity games and it's all about hooking directly into game code, because that's what the most interesting mods always do. Developers never expose enough internals, which is to say all of it.

I'd much rather sacrifice multiplayer than modding.

You could in theory have one version of the game for multiplayer and then an overlay filesystem where you can truly mod the game for single player or for non TruePlay multiplayer ... but that's not how the windowsapss and modifiablewindowsapps directories work unfortunately. Modifiablewindowsapps isn't a solution period, because the amount of games allowed to use it is anemic. Windows store is the death of proper modding.

The current windowsapps security is a poorly thought out fragile mess which is standing in the way of Microsoft properly solving app security in general and games in particular. It's a bandaid solution which a bunch of pouting devs threw out there after UWP got rejected by consumers.

Last edited:
That means interesting mods aren't allowed. The modern vanguard of modding is mostly in Unity games and it's all about hooking directly into game code, because that's what the most interesting mods always do. Developers never expose enough internals, which is to say all of it.

I'd much rather sacrifice multiplayer than modding.

You could in theory have one version of the game for multiplayer and then an overlay filesystem where you can truly mod the game for single player or for non TruePlay multiplayer ... but that's not how the windowsapss and modifiablewindowsapps directories work unfortunately. Modifiablewindowsapps isn't a solution period, because the amount of games allowed to use it is anemic. Windows store is the death of proper modding.

The current windowsapps security is a poorly thought out fragile mess which is standing in the way of Microsoft properly solving app security in general and games in particular. It's a bandaid solution which a bunch of pouting devs threw out there after UWP got rejected by consumers.
then explain to me how you can stop cheating of infinite resources in Age of Empires III, which only happens in Steam, or aimbot hacks, wallhacks, (those two also present on consoles) and all the stuff?

Also, how much time has passed since you last tried gamepass PC or the W10 Store? 'Cos now there are things like download managers, mods, etc etc. Proper modding sounds a bit loose to me, if mods are allowed I don't see where the problem is. Age of Empires 2 DE is a good example of this, also Skyrim in the future and so on.

Sure I'd like support for mods with .dll and .exe files, for say..., Doom, but I don't think the gamepass PC would be an impediment 'cos you could easily certify it as a legitimate mod and download it in a controlled manner.

then explain to me how you can stop cheating of infinite resources in Age of Empires III, which only happens in Steam, or aimbot hacks, wallhacks, (those two also present on consoles) and all the stuff?
Effort.
Also, how much time has passed since you last tried gamepass PC or the W10 Store?
Does the store version of Battletech support Roguetech yet? No, didn't think so.

Modifiablewindowsapps is a hacky fragile solution built on top of more hacky fragile bullshit. Modifiablewindowsapps makes apps just as dangerous to users as any old win32 program, while they want windows store apps to be properly sandboxed. They are never going to be very generous handing it out.
I don't think the gamepass PC would be an impediment 'cos you could easily certify it as a legitimate mod and download it in a controlled manner.
Microsoft doesn't like modifiablewindowsapps, only the lucky and the privileged can get their games installed there.

Back