The proof, TR-AOD 60% performance and somemore.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by PiXEL_ShAdER, Oct 25, 2003.

1. lwells

Newcomer

From the official website:

2. Deathlike2

Regular

The mods over there are generally smarter than to believe that... so you have to consider where its coming from... (even those that shout out "info" at Rage3D aren't all that reliable at times, except for the mods)

I read (probably somewhere in Beyond3D) that Developers of TR:AOD didn't exactly want the glow effects (not a great effect plus bad performance, same goes with the grass for only performance reasons I guess)...

Both issues affected BOTH cards (not just Radeons, the FX series was affected too, the FX affected to a greater extent most likely)...

3. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

I see , is this how you conduct yourselfs and troll this thread. :x

:roll:

4. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

The Radeon slows down badly no matter what resolution you use, where as my FX card is much better when you lower the resolution., also there is another part where you have to jump on hexegon bricks over lava(in the hall of seasons) that slowed down bad as well.

5. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Thanks lwells.
    It's a DX6 game with shaders to collapse the passes needed to render terrain into 1 pass. :D

6. Bry

Bry
    Newcomer

2 things..from what I have read. even with the det 52's stuff is missing in Aquamark. Also..Aquamark is not a true dx-9 test. They even admitted that they made the test to simulate games at the time of its release..there are only a few ps2.0 shaders. It is more like a dx-8 bench with a few dx-9 shaders added. with this being the case, I would expect the fx cards to compete around the ATI cards..since they are clocked higher, and this gives them an upper hand in dx-8!! You want a true dx-9 bench go to shadermak2. there you will see all fx's doing up to 3 times slower than the ATI's,

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Uhm, no. Blame those who believe without proof and those who spread information they don't understand. Don't blame nVnews, they didn't do it. :p

Sorry, it's kind of a universal geek law that Buffy takes precedence over anything else and isn't consider going off-topic since everyone loves Buffy. :) (It's a Willow thing. ;) )

I haven't even watched the first season of Angel yet even though I have the DVDs on me desk here, and my wife is already bugging me to get the second season and download the third & fourth so we can get up to speed on season 5. (I am a big Spike fan, I like his addition to Angel...I'm just waiting for a few more regulars to make appearences. :D )

BTW-Has anyone actually played TRAOD or does everyone just bench it? I tried it for about 10 minutes and deleted it in disgust at it's lousy performance.

8. Sazar

Newcomer

I can play solitaire @ less than 13fps...

9. Sazar

Newcomer

who might they be ?

afaik the people @ nvnews are adequately informed and are regular posters here as well...

ergo.. it is unlikely that one of the regs posted it...

10. Miksu

Regular

Start thinking before posting.

11. PaulS

Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:

12. PeterAce

Regular

PiXEL_ShAdER, (AKA HalfaLife) ;)

It looks like both the new Forceware 52.16's and the Catalyst 3.8's both contain performance inhansing and smoothing code for TR-AOD :

I personally witnessed "stuttering" in TR:ADO until I installed the Cat 3.8 Drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro.

I think the point being made by the others is that while the 52.16 have increased performace for the FX 5900 cards - it's still between 38% and 25% slower than the 9800 Pro at the same resolutions and quality settings.

Have you seen these graphs (which interestingly tally up with your 13 FPS @ 1600x1200):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/fx5950ultra-9800xt_15.html

13. Brent

Regular

The energy 'dispersal' Chris fired at Leo pushed Leo into ValHalla, that was the next episode, Valhalley of the Dolls Part 1 and 2

14. Brent

Regular

I'ved played TRAOD, but i'll tell ya, it isn't my favorite game, the third person controls are just so bad in the game, its hard to get Laura where you want her the first time

15. PatrickL

Veteran

Like for every girl non ? :oops:

16. Alistair

Regular

Laura?

LARA!

17. Brent

Regular

Laura Lara whatever :D

18. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

They haven't showed it in Australia yet. :(

Can you please tell me what happens? :)

19. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

its funny, didnt you say:
    If its not about comparing performance to ATI, WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING IT?

Why can you not answer the original question: How does a driver speed increase "prove" that the slow pixel shader 2.0 on the GFFX cards is not hardware, considering that they are still slow, even with said increase?

20. Brent

Regular

ooooh, thats why, I didn't see that you were in Australia. Over here in the US we are up to episode 6x06, so there has been a lot more questioning about Chris's loyalties and stuff.

Basically at the end of Season 5 that was the big question, what exactly did Chris do to Leo, did he kill him? or what. What we found out in the Season 6 2 hour premier was that he banished Leo to ValHalla. To get him out of the way, but we still haven't figured out why. Everyone is going back and forth right now about who Chris really is, why he is there and if he is good or evil. The only things we ARE certain of is that he is from the future and he does appear to have whitelighter blood in him. We learned some new stuff in this last episode, 6x06, and in 6x10 "Chris-Crossed" we are suppose to learn a lot more about him.

Here is the episode list of Season 6 that is known right now:

6.01 Valkyrie Vixens Part 1
    6.02 Valkyrie Vixens Part 2
    6.03 Dragons Heat
    6.04 Dirty Blondes
    6.05 Love's a Witch
    6.06 Fantasies in the Flesh
    6.07 Soul Survivor
    6.08 Sword and the City
    6.09 Little Monsters
    6.10 Chris-Crossed
    6.11 Witchstock
    6.12 Prince Charmed
    6.13 Used Karma
    6.14 I Dream of Phoebe

There has been so much stuff i couldn't possibly post it all so I'm sure you can do your own googling to find stuff out if you want to ;)

Sorry for getting off topic everyone lol