The proof, TR-AOD 60% performance and somemore.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by PiXEL_ShAdER, Oct 25, 2003.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Well I'll be damned, and here I was sure there wouldn't be anything useful out of this thread anymore! :shock:

Charmed you say? I'll give it a try. Angel is good this season, but it don't fill the Buffy-gap for me... ;)

2. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Sounds like Dave's come into his own, watching it!

MuFu.

3. Deathlike2

Regular

Dude, he's confirmed that this "performance gain" is a result of other limitations... but that doesn't mean the PS2.0 compiler had much to do with it.

4. YeuEmMaiMai

Regular

all we have to do is wait for the pwoned pix to show up.

Dude,

13fps is a slide show and no matter how you cut it a slide show is a slide show.........

While I agree 60% is what you have, it does not bring it to performance levels expected of $500 video cards.

5. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Last season showed in Australia was when Leo died and some guy from the future was placed in charge of being the charmed ones whitelighter.

Good series. It's more of a comedy than anything else though. :D

Try playing GF2 at 13fps and it is so fast that it's unplayable at that speed.

6. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

60% or not, it means nothing since there's clearly different output. You can't make comparisons between drivers that doesn't even do the same work.

7. Brent

Regular

Totally agree, Angel just hasn't filled the gap at all, it feels a bit blah so far if you ask me, even with Spike kinda there, heh. I never really liked Spike though.

I've heard that Charmed has captured a lot of Buffy fans actually.

8. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

Agreed.
    The problem, Pixel_Shader, is that you opened this thread NOT with the idea to prove nVidia got a 60% performacne increase, but to show that said performance increase meant that all the people who said the GFFX's shader slowness was hardware related were wrong.
    And you have utterly failed to do this - and now are denying even doing it!
    But you DID do it.

9. Brent

Regular

Leo didn't get killed, he is already dead being a Whitelighter, and now Elder.

He was sent to Val'Halla by Chris, who says he is a Whitelighter from the Future. Though we aren't sure of his intentions, if he is really good or evil.

10. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Chris fired an energy ball at Leo when he was orbing back into heaven.
    I never heard anything being mentioned about Leo ending up in Valhalla.

11. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

The fps is alot more stable and dont stutter, thats throughout the game, the 14fps was a extreem example at the highest settings and resolution possible.

Believe me when I say the shots on the old drivers dont show how it stuttered with glow was on, yes the performance is not as good as the Radeon, but thats not the issue.

At thoses settings it went from bearly playable because of the stuttering to playable without the bad stuttering.

If I remember the Radeons still have problems with this game as well, and apparently the grass had to be taken out in the patch because of the very bad performance, I dont see ANYONE mension that.

12. lwells

Newcomer

With respect, this does not address the issue raised by Bry / Althornin. You claimed that this *proved* that the poor performance was a software, not hardware, issue.

Yes, 60% is 60%. Yes, you find 13FPS playable in Tomb Raider. We all get this. Why people are questioning you is because the conclusion that there is a 60% increase does not therefore mean that the speed issues with the NV3x series are only software related.

Not trying to troll... Just trying to return some sense to this thread.

Cheers,
    LW.

PS. I can't believe that you guys like Charmed / Angel / Buffy. And to think I had some respect for you ;)

13. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

That would depend on how competent their driver guys are. ;) :lol:

14. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

People said the Icetomb level in UT2003 was a nv35 hardware issue, turns out that it's seen increases of 40-45% in the new driver, somepeople even suggested that UT2003 was using DX9 textures in the level and shaders were the problem.

Also I may add there were claims that aquamark not being rendered correct was a result of the nv35 hardware and Nvidia had to cheat in order to keep the performance up.

The new drivers fix all of these issues on give in most repects a healthy boost in performance, this is what I am tring to highlight.

15. lwells

Newcomer

Yes, but UT2003 does not utilise PS2.0, and while its anecdotel evidence of a solid boost in driver performance, it can't be used as evidence that the issues with PS2.0 in NV3x hardware has been "solved" and was only software related.

As an aside, I would be very interested to know how NV managed a 60% boost. Not suggesting anything, just that I would have thought that a "Way it was meant to be played" game that has been out as long as UT2003 would have the crap optimised out of it a long time ago..

LW.

16. Deathlike2

Regular

Last I checked... UT2003 is a DX8/8.1 game...

Someone REALLY needs to check their sources.

17. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

I thought it was DX7 with pixel shaders used very little just to collapse the passes needed to render the terrain?

Doom 3 is DX7 as well.

18. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

Yes the perofmance is poor in 1600x1200, however in 1024x768 it runs at 30-40fps in that same level.

In defence of the poor PS 2.0 performance, is it a fact that the Radeons have 8 dedecated shader units to PS 2.0 where as Nv have only 4?

Even the game developers admit the glow was not what they wantered effect or performance wise, and even the Radeon had serious performance issues with the game, I know I experienced it on my 9700 Pro.

19. PiXEL_ShAdER

Newcomer

Thats not me, blame the people at the nvnews forum who tried to suggest the Icetomb level used DX9 textures in some why.

20. Miksu

Regular

Just finished Buffy's season 7 and started watching Angel from the season 2. Too early to say but Angel feels kinda nice and I've heard some good things about season 5. Nevertheless, it's wayyy better than Charmed :D