The problem with Xbox (a PC gamer's lament)

BoddoZerg

Regular
Let me start by saying that I am a PC gamer. I've never owned any console other than Xbox, nor do I really plan to. Perhaps the only reason I got a XBox is because it is more like a PC than a console, and I have next to zero interest in pure "console" games like GTA, Tony Hawk, or all those cutesy console-style RPGs.

However, reccently the sheer PC-ness of the Xbox has started to wear on me. The problem is, the Xbox's strengths are mostly in genres - FPS (lots of these!), stealth game, BattleTech - where PCs are honestly better. Sure, there is the occasional "Hunter: The Reckoning" and "Panzer Dragoon Orta" that firmly reminds you that the Xbox is indeed a console. However, the strengths of the Xbox, when you list them, sound like a litany of PC games. Unreal Championship, MechAssault, Splinter Cell, and the upcoming DOOM3... the Xbox might as well be a budget gaming PC. Games like Gunvalkyrie were ruined by their control scheme... mouse/keyboard would likely have fit them much better. Even Halo is a game that would probably be better on PC than Xbox... if only they'd release it before Duke Nukem Forever.

And, now that the graphics horsepower of PC is starting to outrun consoles, there's really no advantage of an Xbox over a PC. Why play Splinter Cell on Xbox and wait months for downloadable content when you could play on PC and freely download whatever people can come up with in maps and mods? Why even bother with Unreal Championship when UT2k3 has more weapons, more maps, and better framerates? And when games like UT2k3 and DOOM3 become too demanding for your PC to handle, you can easily upgrade. In contrast, your poor Xbox is forced to churn along on Pentium III and GeForce4Ti4200 level hardware.

Perhaps the only remaining advantage of Xbox over PC is that it's a lot easier to carry to LAN parties than your 30 pound ubertower. Other than that, the ole' mouse and keyboard are still better than any gamepad.

You're right concerning the genres you mentioned with regards to gameplay. FPS type games will always be better iwth a keyboard and mouse than a standard gamepad. It's just something never meant for a console to have.

Regarding the choice to have an Xbox over PC or any other console over a PC for that matter is a rather simple reason. Different types of needs from different types of gamers. Believe it or not, most people don't want to buy PC games for the simple reasons of cost and economy. Why upgrade your PC every year to playt he latest games when you can buy a console every couple of years and have no worries of how it performs. So the graphics might not be as good as a PC, but that's not going to stop millions of people from going gaga over graphics on PS2, GCN, or Xbox. I bet those gamers could care less for PC's for the fact that they're not giving it a chance or just don't prefer it. There are ups and downs to every side of it all.

Why play a game on the PC where you have to configure everything from sound to graphics to keyboard and mouse configuration when you can just pop it into a console and have it play fine in the comfort of your living room sitting on the couch? It's stupid how these things work, but PC gaming has its own strengths that I love.

Actually, there's still one console strength where Xbox has great superiority over PC: Bugs.

You can fix bugs for a fixed platform much better than you can debug over a hundred million different configurations... Xbox, like any other console, has very few bugs other than those that come from sloppily done ports from other consoles.

Still, it's nice to see that Microsoft chose not to include their traditional "Blue Screen of Death" technology in the Xbox.

I don't understand you, Boddo. You don't like console-style games, yet you complain that Xbox is getting too few of those :\ If you purchased the console only so that you can play PC games, maybe it's time to get rid of the console and improve your PC?

For me it´s the opposite, i can´t play fps games on my pc just on my consoles, Xbox controller is well suited for it i think.

Why even bother with Unreal Championship when UT2k3 has more weapons, more maps, and better framerates?

There actuall are a few good reasons for this. One is parity. If you are playing on absolutely bleeding edge hardware with a XP3K or P4 3GHZ and a R300 core graphics chip through a cable modem then certainly the PC has an edge. However, if your rig is a GF2MX with a ~900MHZ processor and 128MB of RAM would you really want to play against the player with the former setup? Also while playing on the Box you are assured of BB only.

Another reason is avoiding cheaters. A fully secure version of CounterStrike, as a general example(I haven't heard much of cheating on line with UT2K3), may appeal to a whole lot of people.

Then there is the advantage of playing with your friends sitting next to you without the need to set up a LAN on a couch/recliner with a big screen TV. Obviously this detracts greatly from the strategic standpoint, but it can also be a hell of a lot of fun to be able to taunt your friends up close and personal :)

Actually, there's still one console strength where Xbox has great superiority over PC: Bugs.

Overall I'd say you were correct on this however there is Morrowind... :devilish:

If you aren't into racing games, fighting games, non FP shooters and console style RPGs then a console will obviously lose a great deal of worth to you. With all of that said, due to the lack of mouse and k/b on the Box I'm still going to pick Halo up for the PC when it comes out despite owning it already.

Perhaps the only reason I got a XBox is because it is more like a PC than a console

However, reccently the sheer PC-ness of the Xbox has started to wear on me.

You got what you expect.

So you probably wish you can upgrade your Xbox some how ? or you wish MS would release official mouse and keyboard support ?

Back