The Passive Experience - Watching games instead of playing *autospin*

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
Yup, been there done that. But chances are this won't turn out as badly as Duke Nukem Forever. Hopefully. ;) Can also swap in Romero and Daikatana if you're more of a Doom guy.

Anyway, I'm expecting a good game with dated graphics. Can't wait to see it on Youtube.

Regards,
SB
Youtube is not the ideal way to experience a videogame. Very subpar experience.

If you are not seeking some kind of interaction when playing videogames, why are you even into videogames?

Did you also 'see' gems like Bloodborne via Youtube?

Yeah, I can't understand why 'gamers' just watch playthroughs instead of playing. What is the point?

Go watch Warcraft movie instead :cool:

If you are not seeking some kind of interaction when playing videogames, why are you even into videogames?

And not only due to the interactivity problem but also the sub par audio visual

I don't plan on buying another console anytime in the foreseeable future. And I'm certainly not buying a console for just one game (on PS4 that would be Bloodborne).

So yeah, just like TLOU I watched it on YouTube. It was good enough. The gameplay looked meh (and later trying it at a friend's just proved that the gameplay wasn't for me), but the story was good. I've tried to do that with other games like the Uncharted series, Tomb Raider reboot series, etc. but couldn't get more than a few episodes in as both the gameplay and story were bleh.

On occasion I've run into lets plays where the gameplay looked so good I immediately went out and bought the game. Did that with Neon Chrome, Grim Dawn, FTL, Dark Souls 2, and many others. Immediately bought them after watching 2-3 episodes.

If the only reason I want to play a game is for the story and cut scenes, I'm better off just watching it on YouTube or even a Twitch stream. Or if it's something I'm unsure about, it's a good way to see if it's something I'd want to play.

Regards,
SB

@DSoup there's also a game where the developer goes bankrupt because it have very low sales despite millions of youtube ltsplay views.

on the other hand, this condition also encourage developers to develop games with engaging gameplay to play AND watch.

destiny comes to mind. It is fun to watch, fun to play. It is also very accessible due to the generous auto aim and various attack options (punching is a viable attack).

There is NO way you can judge a game's experience totally from a video. The experience is totally different while playing. There is a reason these are not movies but games.
So many games feel like boring "press x" fests from the yt videos but are actually very fun to play.

No way can anyone "feel" the giraffe moment of TLOU without actually feeling the agency of interacting with Ellie oneself. No way can one feel the struggle of Journey's "struggle-level" with the lightening and storm without pressing the left stick oneself ! It looks like a walking segment in a video whereas it's a powerful moment in the actual game.

Sure , one can get an idea what the game might be like, but other than spoiling ur surprises and getting a lacking movie experience, one cannot say he has experience D the game by watching a video playthroughs
of it.

I recently met a game designer whom I asked if he had played Journey and he said yes, I watched it on YouTube. That was the end of the discussion of Journey. For him it was a jumping game, for me it was a "journey" through my whole life.

Completely agree. Games are interactive, even the ones with limited gameplay.

-1 for watching games instead playing.

+1 for playing games and watching yt vids for hints/tipps/tricks/secrets

:mrgreen:

Depends on the game and YouTube.

Playing heavy rain with proper YouTube link/timestamp/Playlist for multiple choice should be really close to playing the real game.

Or remake the game properly to YouTube. Like recording Stanley parable with multiple branches and on 360 degree with properly put linked annotation on doors and items.

Fappy bird? No way you can feel the frustration just by watching YouTube. You will laugh a lot though by watching YouTube let's play of floppy bird.

There is NO way you can judge a game's experience totally from a video. The experience is totally different while playing. There is a reason these are not movies but games.
So many games feel like boring "press x" fests from the yt videos but are actually very fun to play.

Not at all true in my experience. What I get from watching it is the same as I get from playing it if the gameplay seems boring or unsuited for me on Youtube. I do have enough friends that I can also play most of the games I see on Youtube in real life as well.

No way can anyone "feel" the giraffe moment of TLOU without actually feeling the agency of interacting with Ellie oneself. No way can one feel the struggle of Journey's "struggle-level" with the lightening and storm without pressing the left stick oneself ! It looks like a walking segment in a video whereas it's a powerful moment in the actual game.

Again, not true at all. I very much felt the giraffe moment in TLOU as I was invested in Ellie quite a bit while watching the let's play. I was also quite invested and incredibly sad when Joel's girlfriend at the start of the game died because she'd gotten infected. I also felt the huge burden of betrayal and disgust at Joels actions when he deliberately lied to Ellie because he was a shameless coward. None of that changes that the gameplay itself was mediocre at best, IMO. And that was borne out when I actually played some segments at a friend's house because I was curious about it. Great story telling, meh gameplay. Not enough to get me to buy a console for it. If it was available on a platform that I owned, I "might" have spent 5-10 USD on it if it ever went on sale for that much.

One thing that you can't tell from YouTube, however, is how badly a game controls. Watching Dark Souls 2 made me immediately go out and buy the game because the gameplay looked fantastic. Actually playing the game made me realize the controls were utter crap but you couldn't tell because the person I was watching was very good at the game and used to how it controls.

Regards,
SB

One thing that you can't tell from YouTube, however, is how badly a game controls. Watching Dark Souls 2 made me immediately go out and buy the game because the gameplay looked fantastic. Actually playing the game made me realize the controls were utter crap but you couldn't tell because the person I was watching was very good at the game and used to how it controls.

So in the hands of a skilled player the controls are great, but in your hands the controls are "utter crap"?

So in the hands of a skilled player the controls are great, but in your hands the controls are "utter crap"?

In the hands of a skilled player the controls don't look bad is what I was implying. That's different from saying the controls are great in a skilled player's hands. Anything can become good if you practice with it enough. Shooting a basketball through a hoop from between your legs can be great...if you practice enough with it.

Obviously it's all in my opinion, but yes. The camera especially is poo. If there was an option to not have it so aggressively attempt to get behind the player it wouldn't be so bad. In fights like the nameless king, for example, there's many times when you have to try to keep the Nameless King in view without the benefit of being locked on. Easy enough if you are standing still, but once you have to move, which you have to do, the camera immediately starts to move behind you, taking him out of your camera. The whole time you have to basically fight the camera to try to keep him in view while also moving to avoid his potential attacks. It's the same way with the Lothric fight where you lost lock on most of the time when he teleports. Finding him again is key to staying alive in order to dodge his attacks. If you move, however, it significantly hinders this effect as you again have to fight the camera.

Similar to the Monster Hunter series a large part of the difficulty of the games has to do with the way the controls are setup. They are made to be deliberately difficult to use. I don't mind it now that I'm used to it. It's all 2nd nature now to adjust to how Dark Souls likes to do things. Although I still absolutely hate the camera.

Regards,
SB

I thought someone already said that Controls are one of many experiences that doesn't translate well with videos.

I think naughty dogs sucks. Think about it, why are they doing so much fan service? What's with always making the incredibly fucking amazing games fans are asking for, every single time? They should listen more to people who never owned a ps4 and never will, focus on making better youtube videos.

I think naughty dogs sucks. Think about it, why are they doing so much fan service? What's with always making the incredibly fucking amazing games fans are asking for, every single time? They should listen more to people who never owned a ps4 and never will, focus on making better youtube videos.

The hyperbole and exaggeration are strong in this one.

I'm respect your opinion that Naughty Dog sucks, but I certainly don't feel that way. To each his own, I guess.

Regards,
SB

you-make-me-sad.gif

Again, not true at all. I very much felt the giraffe moment in TLOU as I was invested in Ellie quite a bit while watching the let's play. I was also quite invested and incredibly sad when Joel's girlfriend at the start of the game died because she'd gotten infected. I also felt the huge burden of betrayal and disgust at Joels actions when he deliberately lied to Ellie because he was a shameless coward.

LOL. He didn't lie to Ellie because he was a coward. Wow, you really didn't get TLOU...Oh yes, you watched the game on Youtube? Probably didn't help you to really experience and fully understand Joel and Ellie relationship I think. Maybe you weren't immersed enough in the game and story?

For your information he lied to her because he loved her (as much as he loved his daughter) and would do anything to protect her. Anything, even lie to her.

Back