The Panasonic Q should it be released in the States?

Nintendo's main reason for not releasing the Q in the states is piracy. I started thinking if its worth the risk of piracy of GC software. GTA3 sold well in the face of piracy, but its sells probably would have been greater if piracy wasn't so wide spread on the PS2. When you look at the sales piracy doesn't seem that important because sales are still high enough to make a rather large profit.

Will the Panasonic Q sell well, if its marketed right to the public, and Nintendo puts an connection between its GC and its more mature titles. If they put images of titles like MP, Eternal Darkness, RE Remake, RE0, and some other third party titles that are mature on the outside of the packaging.

I think it's to late for the Q. If they would have released it from the get go I think Nintendo would be alot better off right now. Imagine if they would have taken a small loss and released it at $300 with the remote and with a choice of either black or platinum. I think that it would confuse customers.

I don't think it would confuse consumers because the option to buy the regular GC or the Q. The only determining factor would be price in a consumers decision to pick up an Q. Also you could include the fact there's outlets where you could trade your original GC in as credit towards the purchase of a Q. Nintendo just has to market it right, one way is buy pointing out the option to buy either one.

PC-Engine said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what does piracy have anything to do with the Q?

In theory on the Q if you could rip a GC disc (which still hasn't been done), you could then burn it onto a DVD and play it in a Q.

Thing is, Nintendo are stupid because all they'd have to do is have a disc detector which checks the media descriptor whether it's a full DVD or a GC-format disc... or even a small basic stationary optical laser which will be blocked by a DVD but not by a GC disc. Jeeze. Not too complicated guys :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, sales of the Panasonic Q have been dismal in Japan, approaching Xbox levels. :)

Why would it do better in the US?

Back