The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Anyone else totally underwhelmed by the return of Stranger Things - so far from the trailers? I feel they should have ended this on a high, but now it's been like 45 years since the last season and I'm not that interested anymore...?
Haven't seen the trailers, agree with kinda not interested but dangit you got me hunting through the endless theme tune re/mixes for the one I really liked & would loop for hours :runaway:
Might be this one

Stardate 75805.4
After having received the Eaglemoss model by courier delivery a few days back I have embarked on a new journey watching Star Trek: Voyager again after many years since I last did.
The theme tune at both ends is uplifting, the opening credits give lovely beauty shots of the ship, the combo gets you in the mood real well.
The crew & plots are interesting, the ship is cool & well designed, yes the technobabble comes thick and fast but .
S1 Ep 7 is one etched in my mind:
the one where they find a narrow old wormhole with a Romulan scientist at the other end, its got such great highs & lows of struggling/working together to make contact/figure out a way to send messages & leaves us hanging in hope with the crew about whether or not the messages got through.
The B plot is also etched in my mind but I didn't remember it was just B plot let alone of this episode:
its the one where Kes points out that the Dr is a sentient program not just an appliance and the brilliant, highly trained & moral Federation crew are treating him like shit.
The revelation hits Janeway like a pile of bricks & the more attentive will realise that this has been carefully foreshadowed through the preceding episodes, mostly played as comic relief on the surface but like the Ep IV Cantina 'we don't serve their type here' it was actually carefully placed social commentary.
Absolutely brilliant episode.

Stardate 75805.4
After having received the Eaglemoss model by courier delivery a few days back I have embarked on a new journey watching Star Trek: Voyager again after many years since I last did.
The theme tune at both ends is uplifting, the opening credits give lovely beauty shots of the ship, the combo gets you in the mood real well.
The crew & plots are interesting, the ship is cool & well designed, yes the technobabble comes thick and fast but .
S1 Ep 7 is one etched in my mind:
the one where they find a narrow old wormhole with a Romulan scientist at the other end, its got such great highs & lows of struggling/working together to make contact/figure out a way to send messages & leaves us hanging in hope with the crew about whether or not the messages got through.
The B plot is also etched in my mind but I didn't remember it was just B plot let alone of this episode:
its the one where Kes points out that the Dr is a sentient program not just an appliance and the brilliant, highly trained & moral Federation crew are treating him like shit.
The revelation hits Janeway like a pile of bricks & the more attentive will realise that this has been carefully foreshadowed through the preceding episodes, mostly played as comic relief on the surface but like the Ep IV Cantina 'we don't serve their type here' it was actually carefully placed social commentary.
Absolutely brilliant episode.

For me, Star Trek: Voyager was the last really good Star Trek (good writing and coherent plots). Star Trek: Enterprise had its moments but was a bit uneven. Everything after that (including the movies, especially the horrible reboot) has been almost pure shite, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Nobody whining about OB1? Fine, I'll do it myself.

Another case of slightly promising take off, followed by massive crash landing.
Obi has really let himself go, a toddler outruns him the whole episode 2. Luckily the dark side version of Simone Biles chasing them is so busy perfecting her flips and throwing mood swings that they can easily tiptoe to safety.

Last edited:
For me, Star Trek: Voyager was the last really good Star Trek (good writing and coherent plots). Star Trek: Enterprise had its moments but was a bit uneven. Everything after that (including the movies, especially the horrible reboot) has been almost pure shite, IMO.

The challenge for Star Trek, and to a degree a lot of sci-fi, is that it feels like you've seen every story variation and scenario 20x before - because you probably have. You can make about the characters but then you basically have an uninteresting soap opera in space.

ST:range is a decent Star Trek entry compared to their other new entries. Or more accurately they haven't completely fraked it up with snowflake characters and dialogue written by millennial-level snowflakes. That is the very worst part of ST: D and ST: P. The trouble of the week in ST:range isn't anything new but it doesn't need to be. It only needs to be entertaining and not filled with utter spoiled garbage.

The Mandalorian didn't really cover anything new, but it had some base characters and dialogue and thus most everyone says it is a good series. It didn't shoot itself in the foot, leg, abdomen, arm, and head like ST: D and ST: P does over and over again.

The best ST entries in the past couple decades is StarTrek Lower Decks followed by StarTrek Prodigy. First focused on comedy and second focused on children show. It's all about the character dialogues not getting in the way.

anyone can give me a TL;DW of star wars eby one?

the intro seems to be saying that eby one is some kind of a time traveler or at least able to see the future? and this kid, luke, will become a villain in the future?

The challenge for Star Trek, and to a degree a lot of sci-fi, is that it feels like you've seen every story variation and scenario 20x before - because you probably have. You can make about the characters but then you basically have an uninteresting soap opera in space.

I don't mind if stories feel familiar as long as the writing and characters are good. Being as old as I am, you see things repeated constantly in media. However, it's only annoying when the writing is bad and characters exist purely to push a political narrative which is often just a horrible stereotype so they end up making the most illogical decisions and make the most infuriatingly unrealistic choices in a given show/movie.

When intelligently tackled with a logical plot and believable characters, political issues can actually enhance a show. Like, for instance in ST:TNG or ST:DS9. But when they are handled by using a blunt hammer with a plot written by some clown with no idea of how to write a logical script like the new ST series (or Halo, vomit) ... I just want to puke.

I mean it says a lot that I feel Sulu from the OG ST series is a much better representation of Asians and treats them much more respectfully than that abomination that is Kwan in the new Halo series. Ugh, I was so hopeful when they cast an Asian as a lead character in a Sci-Fi series, and then they made her a dumbshit. I am SOOOO disappointed.

Regards,
SB

You have to remember that before the events Kwan was just another kid. Yes, She has a lot of growing up to do. She seems to be doing some of that with her dream walk. I have hopes that she will have major character growth in season 2. If she wasn't written as a bit of a spoiled teen in Season 1 she wouldn't have been a believable character. That would have been a step too far, to have a wise teenager character.

Where is the path for character development with a fully complete character?

You have to remember that before the events Kwan was just another kid. Yes, She has a lot of growing up to do. She seems to be doing some of that with her dream walk. I have hopes that she will have major character growth in season 2. If she wasn't written as a bit of a spoiled teen in Season 1 she wouldn't have been a believable character. That would have been a step too far, to have a wise teenager character.

Where is the path for character development with a fully complete character?

Even that doesn't excuse how she was written in the first season. She's living in a resistance camp, which presumably has been fighting the UNSC, how spoiled can someone be in that situation realistically. So that's already a huge knock against the writers.

Then, she has to watch as her entire village and father is slaughtered by the covenant. Immediately after that, presumably traumatic event, she decides she'd rather have that happen to all other resistance villages than accept any help from the UNSC. Again a situation that was poorly handled and fumbled by the writers. Sure, maybe an ignorant drug using teen who has had her brain fried has some how managed to survive in a village fighting off UNSC forces (presumably for years) couldn't figure out a way to attempt to even negotiate or use the UNSC to leverage some form of concession but that leans into an incredibly unbelievable premise in the first place. And then to think that same person would suddenly become some kind of intelligent savant at some future point in the series just shows how bad the writers are and how desperate they are to appeal to today's indolent and self absorbed teens who think that nothing they do has consequences and that the only thing that matters is good intentions.

Bleargh. I would have been able to overlook the show deviating from the established Halo universe if the writing were actually good and the characters were actually believable within the context of the setting they were placed in. Hell, despite my misgivings, I was hoping that they'd surprise me with something well written and cleverly thought out. However, none of that is the case. The whole thing just comes across as something a middling English major graduate with a tenuous grip on reality wrote while smoking a few bowls of pot.

Regards,
SB

Nobody whining about OB1? Fine, I'll do it myself. Another case of slightly promising take off, followed by massive crash landing.
Obi has really let himself go, a toddler outruns him the whole episode 2. Luckily the dark side version of Simone Biles chasing them is so busy perfecting her flips and throwing mood swings that they can easily tiptoe to safety.

Why is this unbelievable? People let themselves go all the time and he's clearly a broken man who is barely making ends meet. He actually says "I'm not the man I was ten years ago". To blend in and avoid detection he has eschewed physical training and is not using force powers to zoom about.

I assume this is the beginning of an arc.

Anyone finish watching "Night Sky" yet? I was thinking of watching it but I don't want it to turn out like "Heroes" or "Lost" and waste my time.

Anyone finish watching "Night Sky" yet? I was thinking of watching it but I don't want it to turn out like "Heroes" or "Lost" and waste my time.

I started watching the first episode last night but couldn't finish as it got too late and I was up early in the morning. Seemed quite slow but decent. If it doesn't pick up by the end of the next episode though then I may not continue.

Anyone know a series or movie where the MC and a bunch of other people was going in a drug trial?

The MC then faked taking the drugs for the first trial. The doctor heading the trial is dead in the 2nd trial.

There's also some kind of sentient computers

Back