The Official 8800 Ultra Reviews Thread

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Unknown Soldier, May 2, 2007.

1. fallguy

Veteran

Pretty funny quote, that Kyle said that NV sent him;

2. jimmyjames123

Regular

The Ultra value proposition would look a lot better if a factory overclocked Ultra card with 650-700Mhz core was selling for about $699 (USD).

Also, NV may need to put in a lot of extra work into the SLI drivers (especially for Vista), because the X2900 XT in crossfire will look impressive in comparison and will almost surely be a configuration used in many tests coming up in a couple weeks.

3. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

I would have a very hard time seeing anyone paying $830 for a video card, period. $830 for a video card that performs 5% faster then the alternative though, now that's completly insane.

4. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Even [H], who presumably had no potential Euro confusion to deal with, is reporting $829.

So there's either universal miscommunication going on here, or something else. If it's not the former, then I have to ask myself if NVIDIA really wants to sell any of these. There are factory OCed AIB editions that are very close to this for much less money. So what would be the point then? I'm wondering if the point would be to get a "NVIDIA reference" model out there that was signficantly faster than the previous NVIDIA reference model (575mhz), since some sites prefer to benchmark reference models and just note that faster AIBs are available.

But the pricing also muddies that reasoning, as other sites will make pricing their criteria for what to benchmark against what, and if this pricing holds then NV isn't going to like how that works out.

So I'm still scratching my head a bit.

5. Skinner

Regular

Zwijndrecht/Rotterdam, Netherlands and Phobos
    I simpely don't understand the excistence of this model.. This won't make a difference in sales, fame, etc.

6. jimmyjames123

Regular

7. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

That is actually the price without tax.. even at €380 I somehow feel that the XT will be cheaper...

8. Geeforcer

Veteran

If it was clocked at 700MHz, then I could kind of see why you would try selling it (how well it would work would be another question). But the thing is slower then FOC cards in half the benchmarks... cards that can be found for $200+ less. Who in the world asked for this?

9. Geeforcer

Veteran

BTW, since I haven't yet seen all of the reviews, did anyone compare this DOA-to-be with GTS SLI (same price range)?

10. jimmyjames123

Regular

I agree. The sad part here is that the 8800 Ultra is really the nicest G80 based card with the highest performance potential too, but by putting initial MSRP so high and by setting the core clock speed so low, NV is taking a great card and making it look bad. :(

11. IbaneZ

Regular

12. INKster

Veteran

Historically, the electronics -not just PC components- manufacturers often do a 1:1 match, ignoring the exchange rate differential.

For instance, the Xbox 360 Premium costs €399 in Europe (VAT included), and $399 in the US, but, if we take into account the current exchange rate, the European price will amount to ~543 US Dollars.
    So, if Nvidia did in fact give you the price in Euros then, by definition, it will have to be close to 599 US Dollars.

#33 INKster, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  13. OICAspork

Newcomer

Wow... first off, the Ultra is a joke. It is almost a mockery of a product. What the hell were they thinking? Offer around 6% (or less than 2% over some AIB factory overclocked parts) more performance and launch and in doing so create an entirely new price point that is about 25% higher than the old one. Good God, NV should be crucified for this part! Seriously, I'm waiting for the review that has the bravery to openly mock it. =D I look forward to the benchmarks versus the Radeon 2900XT in crossfire. Maybe at that point the mocking can commence.

#34 OICAspork, May 2, 2007
  14. IbaneZ

Regular

15. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

All I can say is... wow :lol:

16. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

IbaneZ, dutch Komplett site has 10 Ultra's fromPOV coming in on May 10th.
    Does it say anything like that on the swedish site?
    I checked the german site and it says exactly the same thing
    That'd mean Komplett has 10 Ultra's in whole of europe two workdays before the XT launches..

Alternate NL has the Asus ultra for €699 and Alternate DE has it for €749, also with no estimate on delivery date or amounts..

17. jimmyjames123

Regular

The Tech Report had a test of 8800 Ultra vs GTX vs SLI GTS in Vista. Unfortunately, the SLI GTS is not performing very well in Vista:

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/geforce-8800ultra/index.x?pg=4

I hope NV is working frantically on Vista SLI drivers, because if the 2900 XT crossfire is much more efficient in Vista than the GTS, then it will look pretty bad for NV in the upcoming reviews.

Note that in Windows XP, the 8800 GTS SLI setup (street price ~$700 right now) is very impressive compared to the 8800 GTX/Ultra:

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/geforce-8800-sli/index.x?pg=5

#38 jimmyjames123, May 2, 2007
  18. jimmyjames123

Regular

It's interesting, if you compare the Half Life 2 Episode 1 score for 8800 GTS SLI in XP and in Vista, at 1600x1200 with HDR, 4xAA, 16xAF, you get the following:

XP: 159.7 fps
    Vista: 106.7 fps

19. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

Regarding the pricing, Nvidia told me 829$ excluding taxes for the US market and 699€ including taxes for the european market. However this figure seems to be a bit optimistic.

AFAIK FOB for this SKU is 500 to 525€/piece depending on the deal with the board partner. Just think about the margin you can have when selling it at 699€ (including taxes + packaging + shipping...) and you'll understand how happy are some board partners with this SKU :grin: