The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatrickL

Veteran

Catalyst 7.1 ? Seems strange as cards should be tested with 7.4 or so by now no ?

2. flippin_waffles

Newcomer

Would the older catalyst drivers support the next gen cards? I have no idea of course.
    As for Gibbo's card, I wonder why they would send him alpha/beta drivers. Maybe they are playing the game that NV started with driver exploitation. There seems to be a small consensus that NV might be holding back some performance through drivers to throw AMD off with performance potential. Sounds reasonable to me, and would make sense why they aren't shipping him WHQL drivers, as AMD has said they're drivers are ready to go.
    And with all the misinformation floating around, it would make sense that AMD is playing possum, as in "two can play that game, NV". I just have a sneaking suspision that that is what's going on here.

Yeah I know, that redefines "stretching it", but reasonable, no?? :lol: :razz: :oops:

3. Evildeus

Veteran

Yeah sorry about that :oops:

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

At least none of the Vista Catalysts so far has supported R600, of course it's possible they have separate R600 drivers with same names, but I kinda doubt they're using the same names for them before the support for them is included in the releases.

5. jimmyjames123

Regular

Let's suppose that AMD did sell the X2900XT for $500-$600 in May (?) of this year when it is launched. By then, in that price range, it would almost certainly be competing against a beefed up 8800 high end variant in that price range. If it really was as fast or faster than anything else NV will have to offer in that range, then sure they could sell it for that. However, if it's closer to the current 8800 GTX with respect to performance, then they would have to price it much lower than that, whereas if it was released a few months ago they could have priced it at or above 8800 GTX levels ($649 MSRP at launch IIRC).

6. zealotonous

Newcomer

I am not sure if there is an actual advantage to ATI. The 512 bit bus is not an advantage to the OEM as they have to add quite a bit more traces to the PCB thus costing more to the end user or lowering margins to the OEM. Does the cost of having a more complex PCB outweigh the costs of more ram? Perhaps a performance comparison would be helpful once the cards are released. I would think it would vary depending on the application and the bandwidth needs. Regardless, it would be an interesting comparison.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Correct but given the little tidbits leaking thus far I'm leaning towards AMD not having any trouble competing with a G80 refresh. It is pretty much confirmed that there are 16 2200Mhz memory modules on the XTX. That's 140GB/s of bandwidth right there. I know that doesn't tell the whole story but it leads me to think that R600 can make use of all that bandwidth. If it can't why would AMD waste money on the fastest GDDR4 available?

8. Razor1

Veteran

OEM's don't build the cards, they just buy the card and use it in thier systems. ie: Like OEM mice, or keyboards.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's not pretty much confirmed, but 100% confirmed that at least part of OEM models have those.

10. erick

Banned

Because then they would need to squeeze every drop of performance out of the card by any means necessary? ;)

By the way, just visited Samsung's website today, and I think I saw 512Mbit GDDR4 2800MHz modules available. So 2200MHz may not be the fastest there is.

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah you're right 2200Mhz is the lowest grade of GDDR4 they offer. I misread that table earlier. But that doesnt minimize the shear amount of bandwidth it will have available. The XT will have a big advantage over the GTS there too (assuming they go head to head) - with 1600Mhz GDDR3 it will have 60% higher bandwidth.

12. Sound_Card

Regular

an XT for $400 seems very possible to me. Plenty of room to work with IMO. This should make a xtx priced at $500 and if the performance numbers are true, their is plenty of room in both performance and price for a stop gap card between the xt and xtx. Like for instance, a x2950pro later down the line.

R600

XTX = $500
    XT = $400
    XL = $300 - $350
    gto = $250

RV630

XT = $200
    pro = $150

RV610

XT = $100 - $125
    pro = $50 - $75

Then if the R650 roumors are ture, that being coinciding with R600 with in a month or two, then their is your $600 price point card.

13. turtle

Regular

I agree with that synopsis, although believe the PRO (RV670) will replace the GT/XL in that price category this fall.

14. Ollo

Newcomer

So this is page 79 of the second or third R600 rumours thread. We have all been eyeing this thread a couple of times every day. You know what the worst thing about that is? Knowing that Dave B is lurking...

15. Jawed

Legend

Surely 8800GTX will hit whatever price point it needs to, to compete with HD2900XT. $400, $350, whatever.

That'll also push 8800GTS down into the $200-250 bracket, so that those disappointed with 8600GTS will have a nice alternative.

Jawed

16. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

You seem to forget that OEM's have also bought R600's. That's a OEM R600 pictured if I remember correctly since the OEM version is 12.4" and the Retail is 9.5".

Again, you think that OEM's can just sit around and wait for 65nm parts? If they going after 80nm RV6xx parts, then they'll certainly go after the 80nm R600. The 12.4" part proves this.

Yep, that's what we doing.

US

17. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Ye, I think we need to bring out the Psycho music again. :D

US

18. Razor1

Veteran

There might be some truth to this, but in the volume they are talking about, I'm a bit weary talked with a few guys at Dell and they hinted at they their partnership with AMD is strong, and getting stronger on the cpu front (possibly hinting at more AMD boxes coming out), but nothing out of the ordinary, to me it sounded like they are buying ATi cards as they did before, but allocation seems to be the same as they were in the past.

19. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Luckily, Dell ain't the only OEM's. :)

US

20. Razor1

Veteran

thats true, but they are one of the biggest OEM's AMD has if not the biggest lol, cause HP is almost exclusively nV for the past year, if not only nV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.