The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertex_shader

Banned

So the delay reason was a lie when no hard launch coming :roll: , it will be a huge dissapointment for me when after all this delays AMD can't make a hard launch with r600xtx, and with midrange cards.

2. vertex_shader

Banned

May 15 12pm is the middle of Q2, and its tuesday, ATi favorite day for product launches :smile:

3. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

If May 12 were the date, it would be a pretty good bet that it would not be a R600+Barcelona platform launch.

Barcelona's not expected until June from what I've read, and if AMD's insisting on a hard launch for R600, it would be kind of iffy if they went soft on Barcelona.

4. hoom

Veteran

One thing I really hope to get from the launch of R600 is a good description of the evolution of the config from R400 -> R500 -> Xenon -> R600

Maybe they are waiting on Duke Nukem Forever for a R600 + Barcelona + DNF launch? :arrow: Exit stage right

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Heh, Walt only you could twist a delayed product announcement by ATi into an innovative breath of fresh air. So shipping and selling products on time is now "cookie-cutter"? You're the breath of fresh air man - just made my day :lol:

This isn't a game where you fight only when you know you can win - how is R600 launching six months after G80 going to be any kind of victory? But alas, R600 could launch in 2009 and you'll still think it's the best strategic move ever!

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

So are we sold on AMD delaying R600 intentionally just so it can launch with Barcelona? I have a really hard time grasping the strategic and economic advantages of such a move - can someone smarter than me help me out here?

I could guess that they're banking on stalling the market somewhat since they know a lot of people are waiting for R600. Now it would only make sense to do that if they were banking on these same people picking up a CPU while they're at it. Yet we have no word on the desktop variants so that plan sounds doubtful.

I would really like seeing some points on this that don't distill down to "it will be cool to launch all the cards together".

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, Richard claimed to have actual market feedback on the point:

Which arguably begins to look like a sign of AMD changing ATI practices to focus more towards mainstream/volume corporate goals.

Edit: Which is actually different than your Barcelona point, on which I'm not sold. I was just addressing the "intentional" part.

8. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

My understanding of the situation is that AMD would never had decent availability if they stuck to their original schedule - launching in march. However delaying the launch by a little allows them to have better availability plus they could also afford to soft launch their mainstream.

I still find it hard to picture Barcelona into the equation. :???:

9. Sound_Card

Regular

and that all depends on performance.:wink:

10. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

11. Sound_Card

Regular

12. zealotonous

Newcomer

I agree that there is no strategic benefit to delaying this product to coincide with other product launches. Limited availability or mediocre performance, or a combination of both is my guess. Buying time allows one or both of those issues to be resolved. Now if R600 comes out and crushes G80, then I think it would be safe to say that availability was the issue.

13. Natoma

Veteran

I just want to point out for the record that when the news of the delay first came out, that was the first thing I mentioned. And some of you mods poo poo'd me into oblivion. :twisted:

* Natoma looks askance [​IMG]

14. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

So AMD 'hold back' the R600 so that they can demonstrate Barcelona, and by the time the R600 is released, Barcelona will still not be on shelves?

Would be a stupid move, a damn stupid move imo. I think Barcelona will be released by the time R600 is, although why not releasing R600 now is still a stupid move imo.

US

15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Maybe a R600-based FireGL will launch too?

16. zealotonous

Newcomer

According to that Anadtech article, it is saying that the Opteron part based on Barcelona will launch first (which is typical for AMD) around the middle of the year. The desktop chips including the FX will follow. Considering that the Opteron is their workstation or server based product, why would they delay an enthusiast part like the R600 to launch it alongside an Opteron? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to launch R600 alongside an FX based part?

Anyone know when the Barcelona based FX part will launch?

17. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

I'll quote Rys from page 4 of this very thread:

18. flippin_waffles

Newcomer

#138 flippin_waffles, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  19. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Amsterdam was cancelled? :shock: Where will Euros go for their hookers and drugs now? :cool:

Okay, so a specific date was scratched off. Does that mean when rescheduled it won't be in Amsterdam?

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

That I can definitely buy into. At my firm there is a distinct divide between short-term and long-term greedy. If AMD is trying to develop more effective procedures for getting its products to market and making lives easier for their bread and butter OEM partners then more power to them.

However, this still doesn't explain the sudden change in plans. If you're committing to a new corporate strategy you don't do so by making tactical changes at the last minute. So that still leaves a question unanswered - what made AMD postpone editor's day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.