The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razor1

Veteran

wouldn't be using a polygon edge, if they did that why not just do MSAA :lol: , its still after the fact with render targets. a combination of here is the edge this is the angle of the poly and location on the screen, then blur render target accordingly, is possible I guess, sounds expensive though.

2. Faceless Rebel

Newcomer

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, I haven't gotten to see 8xAA in action yet. It's possible it might reduce edge crawl enough that I don't notice it anymore, however if it doesn't, a narrow tent on polygon edges might still be nice for people like me.

Either way, it's just speculation and guesswork at what exactly does ATI mean by 8x+Edge Detect. Considering the lead up to it is Narrow Tent -> Wide Tent -> Edge Detect, it's reasonable to suspect it's just a further refinement on how or where a tent filter will be applied.

As it's labeled as 24x. That would somewhat fit in with same levels of AA but without the general blur and with attendant performance hit greater than what you get with just 8X+Wide Tent.

Monday cannot come soon enough for me. Maybe if I go to sleep now, I'll wake up and be able to read some good quality reviews.

Regards,
    SB

4. aeryon

Newcomer

Call of Juarez DX10 version supplied by AMD to show R600 DX10 power :

[​IMG]

Nvidia provided 158.47 drivers to test this game, and well... you see it by yourself...

(Sorry no COJ DX10 bench with AA nor AF)

full review (in French) here : http://www.clubic.com/article-73608-1-amd-ati-radeon-hd-2900-xt-directx-10.html

Interesting remark, AVIVO2 still not working properly. On HD-DVD Babel, CPU usage is higher than G80...

and finally another a bad news for ATI, AF is no better on R600 than R580... So G90 is still the king in this area

R580 AF16x
    [​IMG]

R600 AF16X
    [​IMG]

G80 AF16x
    [​IMG]

#5564 aeryon, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
    Razor1 likes this.
  5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

They used Cat 7.4? Is that the 8.361 that came on the CD?

Regards,
    SB

6. aeryon

Newcomer

not sure but I think it's 8.37.4 as the last one AMD France provided to the press before end of nda

7. INKster

Veteran

That review spells trouble for AMD...:???:
    Nvidia just has to lower the price on the GTS' and/or the GTX to match the R600 XT and they'll be completely cornered (in competitive terms) at the higher end of the market.
    How much lower can the R600 XT go at their price-point ? I doubt a 512bit bus comes without expenses for the company's high-end GPU profit margin already.

Now we know why Nvidia decided to release the Ultra at that "stratospheric" price-point.
    They just wanted to make a point ("since we're in charge of the performance crown, we can charge whatever we wish for it because AMD can't touch us").

Definitely not good for the enthusiast consumer in the next few months, although Nvidia's operational execution does have to be praised once again. They saw what was coming and adapted. AMD doesn't (or rather, can't) seem to understand that yet.

8. aeryon

Newcomer

Another french review and the weakest R600 point is exposed :

[​IMG]

Very bad decision from ATI engineers. 512bits bus for what if your TMU power is so low ???

9. LLB

LLB
    Newcomer

According to the VR-Zone review:
    "On the 8.37, there is no option of the 'High Quality' under AF options with the X2900XT while there is on the 8.36."
    The Clubic review also mentions the lack of a high quality AF checkbox.
    This would indicate the 8.37 driver was used.

LLB

10. dnavas

Regular

Wow, I was embarrassingly wrong :lol:

edit: I guess I should be more explicit. G80 is winning on texturing, while R600 would seem to have the computational edge.

11. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.