The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawed

Legend

rn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rn_(newsreader)

on BSD Unix on JANET in the UK, technically. I should have rec.music stuff printed out on good old fashioned 132 character stave paper somewhere, I think:

http://www.pdp8.net/images/greenbar.shtml

with 5-line staves instead of solid blocks :grin:

Jawed

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well the slide says "Anti-aliasing is effectively a post-processing filter applied to each rendered frame". Are you saying that the filter could be run on the ROPs?

3. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

That depends on the resolve being asked for (and in R6's case whether you think it's custom).

4. 3vi1

Newcomer

Jawed is a shader running on a GPU from the futurrrree. :wink:

Seriously, that guy has great comments. I've been lurking here for 3 years and I've always enjoyed his insight, cheers!

On a side note, I've been wondering.. Since AMD is implementing a sound component, no doubt helped by the removal of the audio stack from previous versions of windows; what is the likelihood of AMD has implemented something like Creative's X-FI sound processor?

Can we compare ring buses here, or am I jumping to conclusions?

5. Razor1

Veteran

How so? I know you probably know all about the r600 by now lol, are you saying its not really programmable? It kinda sounds that way cause of the drivers hint.

6. Jawed

Legend

Only if you pretend the MI/SF pipeline doesn't exist. R600 has dedicated interpolators outside of the ALU pipeline. SF instructions always last 4 or 8 clocks, which makes finding MAD-ALU-issuable instructions tough (if you want 100% MAD ALU utilisation). Doable, but complicated.

Hey, now that's good thinking. No idea! What a groovy idea if it is like that.

RV610 could do as well. If it's four clocks per batch, then that'd be 16. Then R600 would be 64. I dunno actually...

But your comment about threads has piqued my curiosity...

Jawed

7. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I'm not saying anything, really :smile: And if I knew everything I'd be working for AMD. You can learn a hell of a lot about the chip from this thread though, and a bunch from Mr. Ashraf.

8. Razor1

Veteran

LOL man you know how much info has been in these r600 threads :lol: .

9. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

Its the source of half the rumors on the internet.

10. Jawed

Legend

The screendoor antialiasing patent:

Sample-level screen-door transparency using programmable transparency sample masks

refers to a "programmer-specified" sampling pattern. So the sample pattern can vary per pixel and the combination of MSAA and transparency AA samples can be defined. So that's the programmable bit, at least as far as the driver is concerned. Programmers won't get their hands on the oSampleMask function until after D3D10 it seems...

But I have to admit, I interpreted the document to mean that the RBEs do the rest. I know screendoor isn't CFAA - but the "programmable" processing implied here makes the RBEs rather more fun than we're used to.

A tough question: CFAA and HDR at the same time? Seems unlikely...

Actually does anyone know what 24xCFAA's sample pattern is? That's "edge detect", which implies it's similar to CSAA, which could imply all the samples are within the pixel

Jawed

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Not sure what you mean here, that G80's shared MI/SF pipeline will cause bubbles in the main MAD ALU?

12. SirPauly

Regular

#3792 SirPauly, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  13. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Maybe it's just marketting-speak, but this slide hints at CFAA and HDR at the same time, no?

As for the sampling pattern, that should be interesting to see. They only showed 16xCFAA.

#3793 BRiT, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  14. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

To me, that slide says "Hey, we still support all this stuff as well" but it could very well mean "CFAA works with all this".

15. Jawed

Legend

Yep it's possible - but major bubbles are meant to be rare.

Remember that code segment? I found a way to schedule it on G80 so that there are no bubbles on the MAD ALU. Took a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing...

Jawed

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Based on Rys's comment I'm leaning towards CFAA happening on the ROPs (might as well use that since I've got nothing else to go on :)) The slides indicate to me that CFAA works by borrowing MSAA color samples from neighbouring pixels during the resolve. So that explains why it can affect non-edge pixels. But that essentially boils down to a blur since you're blending neighbouring pixel colors. That blurring could cause a loss of detail on an otherwise properly filtered (AF) texture. In terms of performance (I think) the ROPs would need the ability to read 8 FP16 samples per clock for 16xCFAA + HDR - maybe that's what all the bandwidth is for!

Also, there doesn't seem to be any Z-trickery going on, just real color samples. So that's one obvious advantage there - it doesn't fall over when stencil shadows are used.

Razor1 likes this.
  17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Hopefully it'll take less to-ing and fro-ing to efficiently schedule actual game code :razz:

18. R300King!

Newcomer

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4935

19. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Jawed likes this.
  20. Rangers

Legend

Wow only 6,000 is enough to supply a launch? That doesn't sound right. Especially for a $400 somewhat mainstream priced part..

Nvidia is clueless with that Ultra OT, we've criticized ATI enough for it's stupid moves for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.