The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyjames123

Regular

It might not work on all games, but would that matter? With dual cards, one could get higher image quality using the special AA modes, and in most cases get superior frame rates as well.

NVIDIA just doesn't have a cost-effective solution to answer Crossfire HD 2900 XT 1024MB RAM total. Two 8800 GTS in SLI would most likely be slower, and two 8800 GTX in SLI would have 512MB RAM more in comparison which would make it much more expensive. NV has to move to a 512 bit bus to get more parity on RAM costs in this high end segment.

#3181 jimmyjames123, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  2. _xxx_

Banned

Add to wish-list: always-on 16x aniso :lol:

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

And whats your basis for thinking ram costs would be so devastating that nVidia/AIBs would be helpless? You also arent factoring in the ratio of current SLI ready boards compared to CrossFire ones, theres a huge disparity. I think the idea of taking mainstream to a dual card solution is odd at best, 1 card against 1 card is the way its always been done, regardless of any type of bundle.

4. jimmyjames123

Regular

Looks like 8800 GTX prices will have to come down if ATI will market a crossfire HD 2900 XT 1024MB for a similar MSRP. So while the crossfire solution will outperform the GTX, NV would have a cost advantage in comparison and could price their GTX much lower than they did at launch. However, the Ultra model doesn't seem to serve much purpose, unless they price it much lower than rumored MSRP.

#3184 jimmyjames123, Apr 27, 2007
  5. jimmyjames123

Regular

I don't think NV/AIB's will be helpless. They will simply have to reduce the high margins that they are currently earning on the 8800 GTX. No doubt, the GTX should have a notable cost advantage over a 1024MB crossfire solution, so the GTX can easily carve out a nitch at MSRP lower than the current $649 and much lower than a 1024MB crossfire solution. The crossfire would be a compelling high end solution though. It would be unlikely that the Ultra would outperform it. However, it's true that SLI/Crossfire is not for everyone, and those people would be attracted to a single Ultra.

Note that the 640MB 8800 GTS can now be found for as little as $359 online (after $30 rebate) from newegg, so the price war is already underway. Two 640MB 8800 GTS in SLI would be a pretty sweet combo for ~$700, and would surely give the XT crossfire a better run for it's money than a single GTX (in the situations where SLI actually significantly boosts performance).

Maybe it is possible that ATI had little choice other than to market a crossfire solution in their high end segment. The R600 seems to have much less flexibility than the G80 in terms of coming up with a wide variety of cards with different stream processors, memory bus size, shader clock domains, etc. NV's G8x architecture seems incredibly flexible in that regard. They just need a 512 bit bus solution in order to have all combinations covered against ATI cards.

#3185 jimmyjames123, Apr 27, 2007
  6. turtle

Regular

Right on, that makes sense. I imagine the ring bus will look very interesting with that configuration. Sounds very congested.

7. mao5

Regular

I'm sorry for this problem, I didn't realized it was a 1GB XTX.

8. mao5

Regular

At last, we have an explaination, as I'm saying the xtx DT used is an old engeering sample, the real xtx 1GB card which can be get by NDA is the below one, Dailytech totally messed up

[​IMG]

9. mao5

Regular

That's correct, it's 1GB XTX

10. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Why do we think DT's was different? Might it simply have had a different (extend past the PCB) cooler? The power connects are about right if you consider the DT shots show a cooler extending past the end of the board.

11. mao5

Regular

I wrote these chinese words, but at that time, I didn't realized it was a 1GB xtx, I thought it was a 512 XT. Sorry for that problem.

12. Bob

Bob
    Regular

You're assuming that 12 chips @ 128 MB each is more expensive than 16 chips @ 64 MB each. That's not necessarily the case, even ignoring the board design complexity difference.

Plus, you may want to check your powers of 2.

13. Jawed

Legend

The mapping between ring stops and memory channels isn't 1:1, so who knows what configuration R600 will use. 4 ring stops with 4 memory channels each seems pretty likely though.

A lot depends on cache architecture. Does each shader unit (one quarter of R600) have a walloping big L2 cache for all its clients (TMUs, vertex fetch, ROPs, etc.) or does each client type have its own L2 cache? If the latter, then you might argue that more ring stops would make sense.

Jawed

14. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Mao5, why do you think it's an XTX? (Unless you know for sure at this point)

15. mao5

Regular

Let comparing pic does the job, left is DT version,right is NDA verion, both are 1GB XTX.

[​IMG]

16. jimmyjames123

Regular

If a lower quantity of 128MB chips is cheaper than a higher quantity of 64MB chips, then why would ATI not use four 128MB chips on their 512MB XT card (is their some type of techical reason for using 64MB chips based on their architecture design)? That said if their 1024MB RAM on XT crossfire is really not cheaper than 1536MB RAM on GTX SLI, then ATI would be just destroying their margins, and it would be more like a desperate move on their part (unless their performance in Crossfire ends up being significantly faster than SLI priced equivalents). One way or another, NV is in the driver's seat right now and NV seems to have a more flexible architecture too.

Oops, I don't know why I kept typing 1028MB, I'll fix that.

#3196 jimmyjames123, Apr 27, 2007
  17. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

18. Cuthalu

Newcomer

Edit: Nothing.

19. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

The left is OEM version. The right is a retail version. I am quite mistified as to why you are sure the right one is a 1GB XTX, considerign that the back of that card looks exactly the same as the back of 512MB 2900 XT DailyTech tested.

20. mao5

Regular

extra memory on the back(1024MB)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.