The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuthalu

Newcomer

2. Cuthalu

Newcomer

Edit: wrong place.

3. R300King!

Newcomer

Here the 06 numbers look very close.

8600GTS
    ======

E6600
    250gb 16mb cache Sata 3gb/sec
    2gb 6400 Gskill ram

3dMark06...
    Main Test Results

3DMark Score 5542 3DMarks
    SM 2.0 Score 2284 Marks
    SM 3.0 Score 2036 Marks
    CPU Score 2605 Marks

Detailed Test Results

Graphics Tests
    1 - Return to Proxycon 17.534 FPS
    2 - Firefly Forest 20.532 FPS

CPU Tests
    CPU1 - Red Valley 0.834 FPS
    CPU2 - Red Valley 1.302 FPS

HDR Tests
    1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 18.063 FPS
    2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 22.653 FPS

The "leaked" HD2600XT
    =================
    Radeon HD2600XT(3DMark06 and game benchmark)

Computer hardware configuration:[display card:RV630]CPU[Core 2 Duo E6600]

HDR Tests
    1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 18.299 FPS
    2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 23.799 FPS

[​IMG]

They look very similar in 3DMark06 but we all know the 8600GTS tanks in games compared to it's 06 marks.

4. overclocked_enthusiasm

Regular

From the AMD CC I got the following:

1. R600 family will be a hard launch (as Geo said).
    2. The whole stack will be launched at once.
    3. "Market leading performance" was the answer to which was the top part XT or XTX at launch. While this was NOT asked verbatim nor answered that way I assume the 2900 XT is the top launch part...no surprise there.
    4. Barcelona 2 core and 4 core parts delivered in Q3.
    5. New 65 nm mobile architecture to appear in "first half 2008".

Looks like the launch in Tunis will be a hard launch of R600, RD790 and a soft launch of Barcelona desktop parts...or a hard launch of the Barcelona server part? Either way, you can bet your bottom dollar they will use Barcelona as the CPU in the display rig(s).

5. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Barcelona IS the server version of K10.

BTW, someone need to explain the rumors of RV6xx delay and "hard launch" AMD line, one is obviously incorrect. At one point, I was thinking that maybe RV610 or RV630 was delayed while the other RV was on-target. But, 10-product launch would seem to indicate both are a go.

6. ANova

Veteran

Yes, and that is exactly what happened with the last generation, including the R520s greater feature list over the G70. I fail to see how the current situation is any different.

Shrinking the G80 to 80nm will not give it that much headroom and it's almost a given the R650 will be 65nm giving it a much bigger advantage over the R600.

Are you being facetious? I can't tell. If not all you have to do is look at how long nvidia has held onto the $550+ GTX price and has not released any other cards since the launch of the 8800 besides a GTS with less ram. They love to milk prices and always have since the fall of 3dfx.

7. Twinkie

Regular

R520 was only 3 months late to my knowledge. It was actually faster across the board as well.
    But current situation points to a 7month delay, with a part that only performs on par with the GTX. Not sure what kind of features it might have but from IQ perspective, both are feature rich in that department. Also GTX still has alot of headroom from the driver side of things so i dont see the R600 outperforming G80 later on (like the R520 vs G70), unless R600 is really strong on DX10 apps.

And how do you know that? (the bolded part above)

Unless you work for nVIDIA.. :lol:

8. ANova

Veteran

R520 was nearly four months late and basically traded blows with the G70, it did have more features however, just like now. So it seems to me that the only difference is the R600 is around three or four months later, granted which does hurt.

It's been seven months since the launch of the 8800 GTX, at this point I would be surprised to see much of a performance boost from driver updates. Besides, nvidia's primary problem is stability within Vista, which is a priority for them above all else.

As far as 80nm not giving much headroom, let's call it a hunch.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It's possible they may be fudging "hard launch" a little with availability in OEM systems purchaseable by the consumer on launch day, but not available in retail as an add in card until 2-4 weeks later.

*shrug* All any of us has to go on is rumors. ATI guy says 10 products will hard launch. Internet rumors says at least 2 of the products are delayed.

Pick your poison with who you believe. Myself, I'll just wait and see.

Regards,
    SB

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yes I was, sorry. I just find it amusing that you think Nvidia as a company is unique in its focus on money.

11. Bob

Bob
    Regular

That's not how I remember it...

12. ANova

Veteran

Oh no, I recognise nvidia is in no part unique in that respect, just more so than ATI (although maybe not so much now with AMD).

:smile:

13. Bjorn

Veteran

Is that whey they like to rename some of their previous gen cards with the new gen naming scheme ?

I'm sorry, but i think statements like this are laughable. The 600 XT will be priced according to it's performance/features and how desperate AMD is to gain back market share/goodwill.

14. Shtal

Veteran

Who cares! :lol:

15. icecold1983

Banned

u could be right, but its fair to mention that besides 3d mark and that gpu dot test or whatever its called, there have been virtually no increases in performance in any games on windows xp since the earliest launch driver.

16. Shtal

Veteran

The difficult task for ATI was to create/make R600 - it takes a-lot of time, but R650 should be a-lot easier. So logically can be calculated that R600 might have short life before it will be replaced by R650.

17. ANova

Veteran

You're entitled to your own opinion, however wrong it may be. :twisted:

18. Russell

Newcomer

The way I read into it is that AMD doesn't think it's a soft launch if they launch some of the products and the others appear a couple weeks later.

Actually, R600 was "technically" only delayed once and will be about 2 months late. Of course, this assumes you go by official delays. R520 had more than one unofficial delay that resulted in it being more than 3 months late (which may be how long it was officially late, I'm not really sure).

As for the 80nm question, it's only an optical shrink. It's not an entirely new process, so it's not going to give the same results as a full process shrink. There will be improvements, and nVidia will milk every last ounce of performance out of it as incredibly well as nVidia does, but it won't be nearly as much as can be potentially gained from the shrink to 65nm. I bolded one word for a reason.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing,

Dailytech on the AMD CC: "On a positive note, AMD reported $197 million USD in revenue from its graphics division in Q1 2007. This represented a 19 percent gain from Q4 2006."

So much for those assuming that ATI is losing money due to this delay. Revenue is actually UP since G80's release, in a slow time of year. Considering how late it is in the last-gen's product cycle, yields are surely good and I think it's safe to say that profits are up as well. I wonder if any of this revenue comes from pre-sales of R600. Frankly, I doubt it. Not that early.

#2438 Russell, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  19. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

So to paraphrase: "We don't do soft launches - we just redefine what a soft launch is." Maybe that's why they were so eager for "broad technology rollout" and "family" launch - that way you can sill paper-launch half the products in the "family" but claim that the whole thing was "hard".

20. Russell

Newcomer

I love how you paraphrased it :)

But hey, I wouldn't put it past them. Talk on all fronts indicates that the delay was due to drivers. They've been talking out of their asses from the moment they made that decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.