The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell

Newcomer

Yeah, they're together for sure. Though I must say, I'd only buy the set for TF2 anyways, so that's what I'd pick if one had to choose (which I don't believe we will anyways).

EDIT: All this, naturally, assumes this is fact. I know it's still rumor.

2. Jawed

Legend

SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR HIGHER LEVEL FILTERING BY COMBINATION OF BILINEAR RESULTS

I'm struggling to understand when this kind of filtering would be used:

Is this referring to anisotropic filtering, or is it merely referring to filtering based on more samples from a single surface? (I think the latter.)

This bit is peculiar:

If this document is about anisotropic filtering, it gives me a vision of prior Radeon architectures using pixel shading to perform the filtering. Sounds mad and unlikely.

So, anyway, I'm confused and wondering what this is really about.

Maybe worth reading in collaboration with:

Methods and apparatus for retrieving and combining samples of graphics information

which seems to be about fetching texels in an unconventional order and packing them into vectors (much like fetch-4 packs four different single-channel texels into a vector).

Jawed

3. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

I dunno, but that first segment struck me first as doing something like bicubic filtering using bilinear lookups - which is pretty easy actually (I believe there was even a Gems 2 chapter on it). Also since it can be done quite efficiently in shader code, that theory would seem to contradict the later paragraph.

Still the first quoted paragraph could definitely be referring to something like higher-order filtering although the patent-speak may be confusing the issue.

4. Rangers

Legend

So after all this the R600 is going to be about the same performance as 8800GTX but cheaper. Kind of underwhelming after all this time.

It does set up interesting memory scenarios though, where I think Nvidia is kind of caught in tweener land memory wise. A tweener is like, a football player that's too small to play linebacker but too big to play safety, or something like that. Anyways, I think AMD could have edge there, 512 MB is enough at this performance level, but saves them some money. So yeah, X2900XT sets up as a nice buy, but not going to blow anybody away.

What does this mean? Is the clockspeed 740 or 825?

5. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yes. Engine speed is 740. Memory speed is 825.

6. ANova

Veteran

7. IbaneZ

Regular

So there's still hope for my 2 year old Hiper 480W? That's sweet. :smile: I've been very pleased with this PSU.

$399 for the 2900XT is just awesome too.

8. Shtal

Veteran

Are saying that 8800GTX Scores 12957 in 3DMark06?
    I thought it only pushed to 11k using intel-Quad CPU.

9. icecold1983

Banned

so all this time and amd isnt even launching a card faster than a 7 month old 8800 till god knows when. what a joke. what good is 24x aa on a card that isnt faster than the 8800?

10. Twinkie

Regular

This is quite odd. A "flagship card" that performs on par with the competition that has been out for 6 months, while being cheaper. I dont recall this kind of a match up happening very often.

Then one has to wonder what the 8800 ultra is for, when frankly R600 doesnt look like it improves much on the performance sector (compared to what G80 has done 6 months ago) as hoped for by many enthusiasts. (all based on rumour though)

Im kind of interested by nVIDIA's response to the $399 R600 threat. nVIDIA doesnt like price cuts to my knowledge, but this time it might force them to do some price cuts especially on the GTX model unless theyre rolling out with their refresh part very soon.

But another mystery for the R600 launch is that why are they using GDDR3? doesnt seem to make much sense because their current flagship "X1950XTX" uses GDDR4. Sort of like a step back in that sense. GDDR4 yields arent good? or performance benefits just doesnt compensate for the cost of GDDR4? (isnt GDDR4 cheaper than GDDR3?)

11. Shtal

Veteran

12. SugarCoat

Veteran

Like what happened with the 7800GTX when the X1800XT launched im sure we'll see some pretty significant price reductions, down to $450-500MSRP for vanilla models not including any rebates that any AIBs may do.

TheInq actually reported that the 8800Ultra would be almost non-existant. More of a limited run card much like the X1950XTX 'Uber edition' or 7800 512mb so i dont even think i'd call it an actual Retail card. Personally i expect the performance battles to initially be waged by AIB overclocked models if anything. Like the X1800XT vs the 7800GTX its all going to come down to superior features in my opinion when determining the best card. I dont know about most high end card purchasers but i'd wager most of them dont have $1000+ monitors with wildly extreme resolutions where one card may really differ itself from the other thus i wonder how much of a real world bandwidth advantage the R600 will really have.

Personally i'll be most interested in performance per watt figures and watching the new tech demos.

13. Shtal

Veteran

If that is the case, who cares about G80Ultra to beat/win against R600XT. But ATI/AMD should have R600XTX for backup.

I wounder how long will it take for Nvidia to make real refresh G81 and for AMD to make ATI-R650.

14. CJ

CJ
    Regular

I'm just guessing here... but maybe they used an even newer yet to be released CPU...

R650 should be well on it's way by now, just like R580 was nicely on track eventhough R520 got delayed. A few months ago the "next generation R600" was scheduled for release in Q3 just like RV670.

15. _xxx_

Banned

The GTX has 256 MB more memory, so that makes sense that it's more expensive (though not $200, but it will surely be lowered a bit to match the XT price better). No-brainer.

16. _xxx_

Banned

So what features would that be that we don't already have (besides maybe higher levels of AA, which is hardly a new feature, just more horsepower needed)? Really, I keep hearing about some "great new features" all the time and have no idea what you people are expecting.

17. Razor1

Veteran

Don't know about it being on track but if the midrange is delayed till June then it might not be so much on track.

18. ANova

Veteran

Despite being late it's still a good card having GTX performance for much less and I think the R650 at 900+ MHz with 1 GB of GDDR4 should put them in good competition with anything nvidia has to throw there way.

19. IbaneZ

Regular

Pretty old article though, Nov 9. I'm not sure how much faster the newer drivers are in 3dmark-06, but they should be faster after 6 months.

Brand loyalty is a bitch sometimes. Must be exhausting.. :lol:

Promise us you won't jump off a bridge if g80 actually beats R600 in a few benchies. ;)

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think if the XT is going to be in a lower price bracket and not a whole lot faster the the G80, then that leaves AMD with a gap at the top end, it terms of both performance and addressing that market segment. I think they'll be eager to get a 65nm XTX with 1 gb of DDR4 and higher clocks as soon as possible.

I wonder if midrange has been delayed because AMD are using some of that fab capacity for R650?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.