The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicolasb

Regular

But that's not what AMD/ATI are saying. Other people have speculated that they are lying, that the real reason for the delay was a lack of availability, and that the business of a simultaneous launch with mid-range products is just a cover-story. However, what AMD/ATI have said is that the only reason for holding up the launch was to launch high-end and mid-range products simultaneously; according to them it was not an availability issue but a purely political decision.

2. Razor1

Veteran

Well its political and financial if they don't have enough at launch, don't want another x800xt pe, that launch and subsiquent quantities was disasterous. At least this way they could get enough out for just the hand full of people that really want the highest of highest I suppose.

3. vertex_shader

Banned

Here is another aspect why the delay reason come from AMD sounds like not true:
    "AMD R600 delay causes partners to blub with dismay"
    http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=37961

When this things from AMD continue in the future, we will see Sapphire geforce cards :smile:

4. Sound_Card

Regular

What ever the reason is, I just hope they a good performing chip to stay in the fight.

5. vertex_shader

Banned

I think most of the users (not fanboys) will be dissapointed, so much later coming the card they are except like avarage 60% performance incrase in DX9 over the 8800gtx.

Someone need to make a vote here in beyond3d, i will be dissapointed when the r600xtx not avarage 20% faster in DX9 than the 8800gtx, not have any new kickass IQ future, not come out with hard launch, i not care about anything else, like power usage, size, .. :smile:

I not except a beast anymore, so maybe AMD surprise me :smile:

6. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

So we should be disappointed in a 8800GTX refresh that isn't at least average 60% performance increase over 8800GTX too? My goodness such standards. Can you please refresh my memory on which refreshes in graphics history have met that standard?

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

8. vertex_shader

Banned

Most of the users are live in dreamland, and except things never will be happening.
    Whats your vote, when you will be dissaponted about R600?

What i write about the 60% it was sarcasm from me :wink:
    I know its never happend, and never will be happening, but i read many forums and users except things like this.. maybe they are nv fanboys just don't know yet :wink:

9. Razor1

Veteran

hehe, with all the hype, 20% would surely be a dispointment for a 6 month wait, but its a faster card god DAMMIT! :grin: Wish we knew what type of ALU's the r600 has............

10. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

I will only look at numbers at the higher end of benchmarks. I plan on using this card with high res, and high AF/AA. Those are the numbers we need to see a big increase in. (and IQ needs to be great).

11. vertex_shader

Banned

The real deal is the dx10 performance, and for this we need to wait for long (i not mean stupid dx10 benchmarks,and PR garbage like FPS creator x10, i mean games like Crysis, Hellgate London,..).

12. Mariner

Veteran

Well, time will tell, won't it? If a whole family of R600 products are released in good quantities with almost immediate availability in a couple of months we'll be able see how things work out with this launch.

Here's what Dave Orton said on the matter (combined quotes taken from the Extremetech article):

Sounds pretty clear to me. For those who assume he's lying, surely we have to assume he's telling the truth here? My knowledge of legal matters isn't exactly detailed but as an officer of the company he's leaving them wide open to a future shareholder lawsuit if he's lying (or so I believe)?

If I remember correctly, in the past, it's never quite worked out that either of the two big IHV's has released both high-end and mainstream parts at the same time (ignoring the lower-volume cut-down cards such as the Radeon 9500). Now that the 80nm process is pretty stable and the 65nm process is ramping, AMD/ATI have the opportunity to release both at the same time. The nearest we've been (that I can remember) was back when R300 was launched and RV350 was shown at the same time still come to the market for a few months afterwards.

Of course, it should be noted that ATI only have this (possible) opportunity because R600 is so late in the first place! :wink:

13. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

If it doesn't win more than it loses at 8xaa/16xaf at launch and the next few months past that I think it'd be fair to call it a disappointment. How much of a disappointment would depend on just how badly it fails to meet that standard.

If best IQ doesn't improve vs X1k, I'd be disappointed. . .but this is unlikely to happen, as they've nearly certainly at a minimum bumped up from 6x to 8x AA. I still have hopes they've got something else in their pocket on the IQ front, but no evidence to support it.

If they're not more competitive in the midrange at launch than the previous two generations I'd be disappointed as well. Three generations in a row of having your hat handed to you in the fat part of the market is not a good thing in the least, "halo" or not. I'm pointing at the $159-$249 range here.

14. vertex_shader

Banned

After i read what Dave Orton said "In fact, our mainstream chips are in 65nm and are coming out extremely fast." looks like chance is here now for AMD to catch up in mainstream if the performance good, no more x700/x1600 series please.

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Heh, it will feel kinda strange recommending a mid-range ATi part but at least the X1650 series is preparing us for that somewhat :)

16. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Difficulties in manufacturing aren't bugs, I didn't see a quote about that.
    Did he mention how they're swimming in swimming pools filled with full-speed perfect R600 cores?

I wonder if anyone asked him, "so in other words, are you saying that if you wanted to do a full launch of R600 earlier, you could have?"

You can decide to do a full product line launch. It doesn't mean you were able to choose to not do a full product line launch.

17. zealotonous

Newcomer

Whooshed right over my head. Thanks!

18. Voltron

Newcomer

The whole thing still doesn't add up to me.

If you have a great R600 part and you have scheduled a release (not to mention you told Wall Street on your last conference call that it is a Q1 product and you are very desperate to have Wall STreet like you because you might need to raise some cash), why not just launch it?

Then in another month, when your great 65 nm parts are ready to to get out the door, why not do a separate launch, so you really hammer home how great your whole family is.

That is - unless you are trying to muddle things or sweep things under the rug. Simultaneous hard launch of R600 and softish launch of mainstream. Happened X1000 family on R520 release, didn't it?

It is just very weird when AMD tells Wall St. it will be Q1, has something scheduled, then pulls it. Maybe all along they we were just overly aggressive with a production ramp or something.

But maybe not, maybe it is going to be an incredible family of products that will blow the industry away.

19. Mariner

Veteran

I take your point. It all sounds a bit Machiavellian for me though!

20. IbaneZ

Regular

Well, the X1950 Pro is selling pretty good. Don't know why they're whining. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.