The NEXT LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

anyone care to speculate what the R650 refresh has over the highend R600 ?

2. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

It will be a lot cheaper and a bit cooler, but probably not much faster. It makes more sense to add units than trying to increase the speed significantly. The 65nm process that will be used is about as fast as the 80nm one.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Which is odd considering if you have good drivers for your hardware, Vista is actually more stable, more responsive, and only about 1-2 FPS slower. At least with anything I've tried on my rig. Playing videos is significantly improved on Vista also. It's very gratifying to finally be able to move a movie playing in a window from one monitor onto any of the other 3 monitors seemlessly with not hitches or glitches. And same goes for 3D games in a window. Everything is just soo much better in Vista on the same machine.

Then again, I don't currently have an Nvidia card or Creative Labs sound card in my current Vista machine, so I, unfortunately can't experience that unstable Vista that people seem to be complaining about.

The crappy state of Vista isn't due to Vista, it's due to rather poor drivers.

The exact same machine that used to hardlock once or twice a week during a long 3D gaming session on XP, has now been on 24/7 since Vista was installed without not a single hardlock.

Considering all his, you can bet Dell is chomping at the bit to get their gaming rigs switched over to Vista ASAP. Especially considering that MS will stop shipping OEM versions of Windows XP sometime this year.

Which puts AMD in a great position with regards to R600 if Nvidia isn't able to offer a stable performant driver for the G80 soon. It means that ATI has absolutely ZERO competition for space in OEM Gaming rigs.

One has to hope that Nvidia has a new more stable and robust driver coming out considering they are lauching lower end parts. If those also suffer from stability and performance issues in Vista, Nvidia stands to lose large chunks of the OEM market.

And personally I just don't think Nvidia is that stupid. So maybe there is something to the conpsiracy that Nvidia has been holding back a stable/performant driver for Vista in order to have something to make it's G8x cards look better when ATI launches R6xx series. It still seems wonky though.

Either way I expect Nvidia drivers for Vista to get significantly better soon, otherwise they are in for a world of hurt in the OEM market.

Regards,
    SB

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Lower power consumption seems to be the biggest win for the R650 so far. Who knows how much they could crank performance without getting back to R600 power levels. Also, it looks like the XT has 1600Mhz memory while the XTX will have 2200Mhz.

5. Razor1

Veteran

well you can exclude Dell from that OEM list of 1million + units ;) at least thats what I understand at this point.

6. frameavenger

Newcomer

Impossible!!

My prices at launch:

ATI HD 2900XT : 580$

ATI HD 2900XTX GDDR4: 700$.

Best regards!!:grin:

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Heh, considering Nvidia has moved only a couple hundred thousand G80's to this point I very much doubt R600 inventory is in the hundreds of thousand right now, far less the millions. The "millions" quote I believe came from Fudo or the Inq and that is most defintely referring to low/mid-range orders.

8. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

????

9. Razor1

Veteran

think it was actually around 400k units

10. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

The usual tweaks, smaller process, and 50% more shaders is my guess. Orton pretty much promised the last several months ago.

11. flippin_waffles

Newcomer

What currency? :grin:

12. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Why is everybody so f*ing blind to talk about millions of R600s? I think INQ/FUD clearly stated that ATI was busy selling off RV610's and RV630's to OEMS.
    Please stop talking about something that a 13 year old sunlight barren boy misread on a website and posted about on a forum.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=499&Itemid=34

If you want to read that as AMD selling Millions upon millions of HD2900XT's and even swamping the markets in bangladesh with their $400 card, be my guest, but stop posting that nonsense and don't even let it be a base of discussion.

A brand like HP uses ATI cards exclusively in their desktop models, which indeed ship by the ten thousands a month. Something like a low profile X1300 is a cheap upgrade on those models compared to something expensive like RAM (honestly.)
    The only cards nVidia sells in that market (low end cad workstations) are low end quadro's which I can imagine ATI is trying to get a foothold in, they're being outsold 3 or 4:1.
    The RV630's OEMS are being used in deals for cheap multimedia/game HOME computers where brands like MEDION just like to stick 512MB of GDDR to a low core speed and sell with very low margin. these cards just have to work because they are selling them to moms and 9 year olds who want their new Vista PC to work. Stable drivers are very much a concern for a brand that doesn't want to spend a lot of money on telling people they have to update to beta drivers every other day.

#2112 neliz, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  13. Megadrive1988

Veteran

so it seems that R650 is not really a refresh of R600, as R580 was to R520, but rather a cooler, smaller version of the R600.

I suppose R680 or R700 will be the actual refresh then.

14. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

So.. what is this R680 then? we all know that the mini core GPU's will show up within the year anyway, I hardly see a place for a (non existent) R680 in tight release schedule like that.. what about.... a R653?

#2114 neliz, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  15. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I'd have a long hard laugh if we won't see in the foreseeable future a single chip ultra high end sollution from either/or IHV :p

16. overclocked_enthusiasm

Regular

The recent warning on a revenue shortfall of over $420 million in Q1 2007 (Jan. - Mar.) simply do NOT bear your arguement out. That is a revenue shortfall of 25.45% from AMD's guidance of $1.65 billion to the recently reported $1.23 billion. Last quarter (Q4 2006 Oct. - Dec.) ATI contributed about $400 million in revenues to AMD's total of $1.77 billion.

Therefore, if you assume that ATI again contributed only $400 million to AMD's Q1 that would mean that AMD CPU sales dropped from $1.37 billion in Q4 2006 to $830 million in Q1 2007. These numbers are assuming that NO R600 sales to OEMs occured in Q1 2007.

If you really think that AMD shipped "millions" of R600 based parts to OEM's in Q1 than you are making the following case:

1. Assume ATI revenues jumped from $400 million to $600 million (estimate had to pick a number)
    2. This means that of the reported $1.23 for Q1 2007, ATI is accounting for 48.8% of TOTAL revenue. This is up from 22.6% in Q4 2006.
    3. This leaves only $630 million for AMD CPU sales which is a SEQUENTIAL drop of over 50%. Actually it is a 54% drop from $1.37 billion to $630 million.

I just don't see that happening. If I had to guess, and I will, ATI revenue dropped from $400 million in Q4 2006 to $375 million in Q1 2007. That means I don't think they shipped ANY R600's to OEMs and I especially don't think they shipped any 2900 XTX as this card will be held in reserve IMHO. If any R600 cards did ship in late March it was the cheaper stuff and simply replace the older RV5xx cards.

17. Twinkie

Regular

http://www.bilgiustam.com/?p=125#more-125

A benchmark featuring 8800GTX and HD 2900XT.

Test System:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800
    Asus P5W DH
    2×1GB PC2-6400 (5-5-5-12)
    Western Digital Raptor 150

Crysis demo high detail, 16x12 4xAAA 16xAF
    HD2900XT - 52.8 fps
    8800GTX - 50.2 fps

3dmark06
    HD2900XT - 10356
    8800GTX - 10951

Take it with a grain of salt though.

18. ANova

Veteran

19. tabs

Veteran

Ah yes the Crysis demo... :lol: I knew there was something I'd been meaning to download.

20. w0mbat

Newcomer

This is clearly a fake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.