The New and Improved "G80 Rumours Thread" *DailyTech specs at #802*

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geo, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _xxx_

Banned

And: how will they achieve it?

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

And for your GX2 config, would you need two Sage, or could you get by with one? :smile:

3. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Not really. Assuming 32 bytes/vertex, 100M Vertices/second wouldn't even be 3.2GB/s. Now, please don't tell me next-gen games are going to sue 10x that, because I might just have to kill you then :)

Uttar

4. _xxx_

Banned

Hehe, Voodoo2 time all the way! How about one G-chip and two P-chips on one board? So many possibilities... :razz:

5. RoOoBo

Regular

Based on some statistics we got for a paper that is going a be published in a workshop/conference in late October for the 'old' OpenGL games that we can run with our simulator. The bandwidth consumption for 'geometry' (vertex indices and attribute data) is around 4% of the per frame bandwidth. And for those old games the bandwidth requeriment was around 100 MB/frame. Oblivion anb a few other more recent D3D9 games seem to be sending 2x to 4x more indices per frame but we can't simulate them to get 'real' bandwidth usage ... yet.

Jawed likes this.
  6. Jawed

Legend

There is no bandwidth directly between the two dies, in the scheme I'm suggesting.

All data from the G die is written to the post-GS cache, from which it is consumed by the setup engine in the P die. That's a basically serial read, running asynchronously with writes from the G die. It's the asynchronisity that requires the cache (as well as the fact that any kind of data amplification in a GS could generate monstrous amounts of data).

---

There is a problem in my hypothesis, to do with the CPU interface. Data from the CPU (vertices, constants, textures, shader code) has to be delivered to either or both GRAM and VRAM. This split means there's either some fancy PCI-Express routing on the card or it means that the PCI Express lanes are split (asymmetrically?) between the two dies, say 4 lanes for G and 12 lanes for P?

Jawed

7. elroy

Regular

Where's this two dice rumour coming from (besides trumpsiao??)?

8. _xxx_

Banned

Last year, geo picked it up somewhere though with two chips I think.

9. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Umm, NO. Not to my memory anyway. It's a perennial that pops up now and again, because if 3dfx was going to do it, it must have been magic, right? :smile: My "two dice" thing last year was all about what eventually became GX2.

10. elroy

Regular

Hahaha, well you shouldn't joke about it!! :p Us 3dfx supporters are still waiting for the day when the mighty Fear rises up from the ashes!!

:D

11. Jawed

Legend

I believe PS3 has read access to vertex data of 4GB/s peak and Xenos 8GB/s.

Plus, with streamout, any vertex data written and then read by the GPU consumes bandwidth twice.

But, apart from anything else, my emphasis on GRAM is a balance of space and bandwidth. Which is why DDR (cheap) might be all that's needed for GRAM.

And, if GRAM is also used to hold constant buffers and post-GS cache then GRAM space becomes more useful, and not dedicated solely to input vertex data.

Jawed

12. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

So you're suggesting the GRAM has two sets of memory traces to it, one from each gpu die?

13. ants

Newcomer

Not sure if you covered this in a previous post but how do you think the TMUs (TCPs?) are going to work. The Vertex/Geometry die will need access to the main VRAM to access textures but I don't see it having a bus to the main VRAM as well...

The two dies could share a bus between them or the Geometry die could write the requests out to its mem and get the data returned by the Pixel die (heavy latency hiding needed here?).

14. Jawed

Legend

Yeah that's my primary thinking, which clearly complicates things.

The busses could even be half the widths I've been suggesting, but counting them twice (once per die) producing the 128-bit and 64-bit values being thrown around.

The alternative, I presume, is a small memory controller chip, which obviously costs money, too.

Jawed

15. Jawed

Legend

In my understanding of vertex/geometry shading, the "texture data" used is not shared with the textures being used by pixel shading.

Also, "texture data" is really a catch-all statement in the context of VS/GS. It effectively includes all the data required to define vertices (a lot of which is just straightforward vertex data). Which is why D3D10 provides a generalised "data fetch" concept (vertex fetch) whose latency is hidden, and which can fetch from multiple streams concurrently (e.g. when performing geometry instancing).

In SM3 VS, textures are provided logically for the sake of constants. In D3D10, we have constant buffers, which obviate the need to navigate around textures. CBs are dually useful though, both to geometry (vertex) shading and pixel shading. In a sense CB and textures overlap in memory-storage and access patterns. The idea with CBs is that a shader can be re-bound to a different set of constants, on the fly. A bit like choosing which texture to read, or which portion of a texture to read.

So, the way I see it, "textures" in VS/GS are less important than in the SM3 view of the world (which didn't work well, anyway). So most usage of "textures" will actually constitute CBs or vertex buffer streams.

Jawed

16. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

no :)

17. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Uhm. The buffer is also created with CreateBuffer, but that's about where the similarities stop. You still need to use IASetVertexBuffers afterwards, for example. There is no way in hell that "texture data" has become a catch-all term in D3D10, afaik. While a creative IHV could reuse the same functionality to fetch that information as they're using for constant buffers if they think it's more practical or efficient to do so, I do not believe they have any obligation whatsoever to do so.

That's relatively correct, although I wouldn't say that everything in textures in DX9 VS had to be considered "constants". Just like not everything in D3D10 CBs would have to be considered constants, if you thought about it from a certain pov.

I perfectly well agree that this is just stupid nomenclature talk, but it can matter that to differentiate what's inside something, and what the container is called. In the case of D3D10, it seems likely that proper support for FP16 texture filtering (and performance characteristics) will be the most likely reason to use textures instead of constant buffers in the VS.

Uttar

18. joe.latino

Newcomer

What about one bus for graphics (with 512mb of ram) and another to handle physics?

19. joe.latino

Newcomer

...or for the new AA mode/buffer such xbox360?

20. Jawed

Legend

Actually I was arguing against thinking of everything as "texture data". D3D10, by introducing CBs and more flexible VB reading methods, lessens the relevance of "texture data" in the VS/GS. Textures were more attractive (as the most flexible option) in SM3 VS - though practically unused - but now most of the time VBs/CBs will suffice.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Jawed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.