The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woundingchaney

Regular

almost count pixels on a 30" CRT from 10' away ????? (I take it this is an exaggeration)

I dont doubt there is a image quality difference between 480 and 1080 though.

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I can almost count pixels also on my 32" from 2.5m away (10' = about 3m I presume?) ... if a game does not have anti-aliasing, that's very clearly visible at 720p (even when my TV messes it up a little by upscaling to 756p). They're half a mm high, after all, that's bigger than you might think. ;) Especially at good contrast levels / when it's emitting light.

3. kyleb

Veteran

It is a well filmed movie, but the DVD uses 4:2:0 chroma compression like any other, and that reduction in color resolution blurs away fine detail like the reflections you mention.
    But you are seening the rendering resolution there rather than display resolution there. Obviously you can just about resolve the individual pixels on edges when they are being rendered with only one sample per pixel.

#1063 kyleb, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  4. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

At 6/7 feet theres a very good visible difference on games from 480p to 720p and 1080p on movies i think its not so evident but its still very visible.

Anyone not seeing it could be due to poor tv, upscale/downscale mess, or simply just needing some glasses.

5. kyleb

Veteran

...or a larger display. 6-7 feet from a a 24" monitor you'd need better than 20/20 vision to see any difference betweeen 1080p content and the same content downsampled to 480p.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Quaz51, your nickname has been mentioned in the mainstream videogames' media. Quoting Eurogamer's article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=89969&page=1

Your methods of measuring actual resolutions are becoming famous. I hope developers' new year resolutions -pun intended- include featuring real 720p as much as possible.

Happy New Year, bye

#1066 Cyan, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  7. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Quaz51 has already mentionned some posts ago that he is in contact (e-mails) with eurogamers ;)

8. wco81

Legend

Games publishers are going to start bribing him now. :D

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Or assassinating...

On a more serious note, we could do with independent confirmation if we're to be accurate about this. Sadly I'm nothing like equipped to help out, but we could do with folk investigating this just to make sure mistakes aren't made. Should Quazi make a boob or a typo, it'll become 'fact' and if no-one else is checking, could come back to bite credibility in the butt.

10. Guthwulf

Newcomer

Lego Starwars

Hi guys this thread is a blessing in disguise for a graphics stress head :)

I found your forum whilst searching for an answer to a question I threw out on avforums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6099189&posted=1#post6099189

I've duplicated the text below as I hate typing but I'm sure you'll get the gist of where I'm coming from. please excuse the GT5 errors having read Quaz51's list I know know i'm wrong.

Pretty much what the title says..as in *** is all that about. Okay my issue at the moment is I have my ps3 linked via HDMI to my normally fantastic Sharp LC 42XD1EA. The system is setup for 1080p. Blu-ray (My ps3's main reason for existence) movies and the the GT tech demo work fine at 1080p with the expected pin sharp quality.

The LEGO SW game is the first game I've actually bought for the ps3. I already own Lego sw2 on the 360 which runs with no jaggies at 1080i (component). The bought the new game for the ps3 because I wanted to play the episode 1-3 levels and to enjoy the game at 1080p which is stated quite clearly on the back of the box.

You can imagine my dismay when running the game to find huge jaggies on on all the objects now, I know this is lego but this was (and still is ) taking the juice. just to be sure I ran up the 360 and selected V.similar scenes and switched back and forth between the two inputs. The 360 is smooth on all straight lines where as the Ps3 is shocking equivalent to 720p possibly lower. Just to make things clear the TV still said it was receiving a 1080p signal from the ps3!

Now I have buggered around with settings galore even forcing 1080i to compare like for like but no change. Where the hell am I going wrong this is a 1080p game but on my TV it quite clearly isn't.

Cheers in advance for any advice

Guthy

All I need now is someone to tell me I'm not actually mad and that the game is shockingly low res.

Guthy

11. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

If they assassinate Quaz51 we know the list of games to give to the FBI :p and the fight will continue since he passed his knowledge to us XD

12. Guthwulf

Newcomer

Quick Question RE: Lego Starwars 2/complete sage on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Lego starwars 2 on the 360 appears to play at a reasonably high res with a 1080i (component) signal played out on a 42" 1080p TV.

Lego Starwars Complete saga on the PS3 at 1080p HDMI (indicated on TV) appears to display in a significantly lower resolution.

Similar scenes in both games show the PS3 exhibiting heavy jaggies compared with the 360.

Does anyone know the actual resolution these games produce? Is the lower resolution a symptom of differences between the two starwars games or differences between the consoles?

Cheers

Guthy

13. DJ12

Veteran

Can't we just say it was only EA games :lol:

I can do without there "not much different from last year" pointless updates.

14. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

yeah i don't like EA either lol

I'd say it's the game but that seems to happen with most games on ps3 their either running in a lower resolution, without AA, or in a lower framerate.

15. kyleb

Veteran

The numbers on the back of the box have nothing to do with the rendering resolution, it just lists supported output resolutions. As for the resolution the games are rendered at, I have no clue.

16. Guthwulf

Newcomer

Cheers for the replies guys, please forgive my double post I had originally thought my first one had been filtered out due to it featuring another forum.

Personally I find it disgusting that they actually get away with blatantly mis selling the games based upon dodgy box info. I would definitely be interested in finding what res the Lego games run at certainly the 360 seems far clearer than just about any other game I've got on the 360.

Anyway cheers again

Guthy

17. kyleb

Veteran

Again, the box info is correct in listing what output resolutions are supported, the resolutions games are rendered at is not listed on boxes.

18. Gitaroo

Veteran

19. Quaz51

Regular

and add blur on PS3 version for AA, it's always bad choice
    add blur on HD screen = SD aspect

#1079 Quaz51, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  20. Guthwulf

Newcomer

Thanks guys, The eurogamer link screen shots perfectly illustrated what I had seen on my own screen.

As I read it (please feel free to correct) @ 720p both consoles are doing 1280 X 720 one with and one without AA. But for 1080p The Ps3 effectively trades of horizontal res for additional vertical.

well having seen the shots I have to say the 360 interpretation is far better graphically than the ps3, guess I'll have to keep waiting for the perfect 1080p Ps3 game...or keep play eve online at 1080 from my PC.

Cheers again

Guthy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.