The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gitaroo

Veteran

anyone know the spec for R6 Vegas for 360? is it 720p + 2xAA?

2. kyleb

Veteran

I only played the demo, but I don't recall seeing any AA.

3. Quaz51

Regular

Guitar Hero 3 PS3 = 1040x585 no AA

4. Jedi2016

Veteran

585?!? Damn.. it seems like the games are shrinking. Might as well just take it back to 720x480 and be done with it. I'm starting to feel privelaged to play a game that's legitimately 1280x720... and that ain't right.

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

What exactly is intensive about Guitar Hero 3 ? :|

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

What about Dark Messiah of Migh and Magic: Elements? I tried the demo and I am absolutely in love with this game (the graphics, the atmosphere, the single player -which is usually more important for me than the MP- music, story.., everything-.

I'm going to buy it! I'm going to buy it! I'm going to buy it! I'm going to buy it!, preferably the launchday, no matter the resolution but I'm curious about it.

Thanks m8

p.s. I'm almost sure DMoMM:E is a legitimate 720p game but I'm guessing here....

7. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

my thoughts exactly.

8. Heinrich4

Regular

Thanx a lot (again) Quaz51 !

Off Topic maybe ...But how resolution space view/Gaia for ps3 ?

9. wco81

Legend

Yeah but graphics isn't what's selling those games.

Maybe by coincidence but GH is a party game and a lot of the Wii's appeal is party games.

For casual gamers (which many people deem Wii gamers to be), maybe they're not discerning enough about graphics.

10. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

:?: I wasn't talking about that at all...

11. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The question is why choose such a low FB size for GH? What's XB360's resolution for GH? Could it be that...um...they decided not to faf about with tiling on XB360 and so went with a reduced FB, and just copied that over for PS3? Still makes you wonder why they couldn't switch AA on. We live in strange times...

12. Quaz51

Regular

i don't indicate but the X360 version is 720p (no AA) of course (the demo is on XBL)

#1052 Quaz51, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  13. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

About the only thing I can think of that might be taxing is the crowd in some of the band locations. But I wouldn't have thought that to be taxing on pixel processing. :???: Curiously enough, there does manage to be some choppiness when star power is activated in co-op and rarely in single player.

Perhaps just very very bad optimization?

14. dskneo

Regular

copy paste game, or in other words, maximum profit for this port

15. -tkf-

Legend

Didn´t we have a discussion about the developer of this game in regards to the PS3 vs 360 hard vs easy to develop for?

16. aselto

Regular

No.

17. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

I believe he is referencing a previous discussion concering this blog entry, though the developer in question worked on previous versions of GH, not GHIII.

18. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

Leave that discussion out of here. The threads we had were bad enough. So don't even start going there.

19. maluraq

Newcomer

Its hardly relevant though. GH3 is essentially a simple arcade game. It should be rendering at 1920x1080 easily. It'd be one thing if the band and crowd were high quality models with incredible textures applied, but they're not. Having played the ancestors Frequency and Amplitude extensively on the PS2, I'm astonished at the low IQ of

GH3. I'd _love_ a 60fps version at 1080p without all the background "stuff" (maybe a psychadelic screensaver-like background).

PS this is only slightly off topic -- many people reading this thread seem to miss that there's a point or demand for high native resolution games.

20. maluraq

Newcomer

I can tell you right now that I can see the difference between 480p and 1080i on my 30" 1080i CRT at 8.5' with no problem at all. There's a massive IQ difference. (See TV at my website if you like). My wife is able to tell the difference, my friends can all see the difference, etc.

Watching football yesterday at 1080i, you can see the reflections in their visors and the wetness of their eyes. Switching to a DVD of the Lord of the Rings, everything is subsequently very low res in comparison, even with upscaling (and its a well-filmed disc).

I can almost count pixels at 480p on a 30" TV at 10' -- if you can't see the difference, then more power to you, but that's like someone who's been to one too many rock concerts saying nobody can hear a 22kHz sound. Its not always a case of looking at the image and seeing pixels either, its a case of not being able to perceive detail you know should be there. "Why can't I tell if that's a pilon or a barrier? Because there's not enough pixels at this distance (drives closer, hits barrier)." (playing Burnout).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.