The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

i agree.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Looking at the bottom line, there are 16 steps, which shows that line is rendered at a height of 16 pixels, as there's one step per pixel in the vertical direction. The actual number of pixels rendered on screen is 18 deep, which shows the original 16 pixel high line has been stretched to fit 18 pixels on the screen. That gives a scaling factor of 18/16. If you scale the 720p screen image down by that much, you get 640p, which shows the image was rendered at 640p and then upscaled a ratio of 18/16 to produce a 720p image.

3. broodjeaap

Newcomer

I hate to admit it, but it starts to make sense o_O
    How's that for a crappy start on this forum...

4. Rangers

Legend

In the end, if it's true which I cant say (where are the framebuffer grabs?) it will be latched onto by sony fans on the internet as in this thread, while the millions of buyers wont actually care. This thread must be why 500 people are viewing console technology. I'm sure it got linked to GAF, post haste. And from there it's gonna picked up at various gaming sites, regardless if we even know it's true. And all this isn't going to dent Halo sales.

It's interesting info but I dont know if I believe it. I've never seen a nasa style investigation of this magnitude launched on certain other games..you know what they are i dont even have to say it. But certain people really wanna knock Halo down.

And the guy tested 60 games this way? Really? I find that hard to believe, as it would be pretty painstaking to go through 60 games this way and find them all 720P..seems like you'd stop after ten tops.

Is there a FEAR PS3 demo the guy can test? I've always been curious about that since IGN said it seemed very muddy and upscaled. This seemed like one of the few obvious sub 720P games.

5. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

Read the thread Rangers, Quaz51 has really contributed a lot to it and obviously spent considerable time analysing the output of various SW. I suggest you read his post on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on PS3 to appreciate his dedication.

P.S. As for the other stuff, that's off topic, in a tech thread on upscaling. :razz:

Trust me, we've had worse. :razz: Anyway, welcome to the forum.

6. Dave Glue

Regular

Well you at least admitted you jumped to conclusions, which is more than a lot of forum posters can say.

7. TheChefO

Banned

I'd be interested to see this test done on this one as well, along with a few others which had questionable render quality.

8. Dave Glue

Regular

Check out the rest of the thread - the PS3 is upscaling some games than the 360 isn't, such as The Darkness. So it can go both ways, there's plenty of ammo for fanboys everywhere! :)

9. Quaz51

Regular

yes
    and i have a new second exemple, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground PS3 is 600p (no AA) and 720p (no AA) on X360
    this game is horrible...

10. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Time passes real quick, it was 2 months ago when I was blamed for Photoshop use to magnify a pic - nice job Quaz51! I missed 16 pixels apparently ;)

Oh and if my eyes are correct GRAW2 is 600p on PS3 and 720p on 360.

11. Quaz51

Regular

no GRAW2 is 720p no AA on PS3 et 720p AA 2x on X360 :wink:
    but with my eyes I had believed himself that it's not 720p

12. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Hey Quaz, wouldn't you need to look at near vertical lines to determine horizontal resolution :?:

13. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

14. wco81

Legend

So we need more RAM and VRAM to render at the advertised ATSC resolutions with good performance?

On to 2011 or whenever the next gen begins then.

15. Quaz51

Regular

yes and i do this on halo3 and other (because some games are not 16/9 ratio, PGR3 and Tomb raider for exemple, i obliged to check that)

16. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

can someone please answer this? are all these PS3 games using resolutions like 600p etc doing the scaling via software?

17. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Good to know, thank you. :)

18. Quaz51

Regular

yes, software upscale for game like Tony hawk (600 > 720p) or ninja gaiden (720 > 1080 for better compatibilité with HDTV)
    and hardware upscale for game like GTHD (1440x1080 > 1920x1080) or Rub'a'dub (1600x1080 > 1920x1080)

19. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

i see. but i thought the PS3's hardware scaler was only capable of scaling the horizontal resolution from 960 to 1920? can it scale any horizontal resolution up to 1920? also, why does NGS look noticeably sharper at 720p compared to 1080p?

thanks btw.

#319 djskribbles, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  20. betan

Veteran

AFAIR, stepping pattern analysis first appeared in inefficient's NGS 1080p screenshots. Of course , the idea is nothing special. ;)

Did you check 360 Darkness? Was it 720p?
    And more importantly what about Halo 3 multiplayer?

People who know continue their silence, thanks to NDAs. There is the dated B3D article which claims there is indeed a vertical scaling hardware but the functionality is not available to developers and horizontal scaling is for some resolutions only.

Personally I'm not convinced non-trivial dedicated hardware scalers are worth the trouble.

Quick recovery indeed. Welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.