The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Thanks for your time and effort Quaz! Nice pics describing how you do this.

2. Quaz51

Regular

#282 Quaz51, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  3. betan

Veteran

That's what I meant in my previous post.
    BTW that's the exact same place I did the counting. :)

I also checked the latest 10 min video from blim which easily confirms upscaling (high quality) in case people are still in doubt, but the reason I posted the first screenshot was that it was confirmed to be outside of Bungie's knowledge, and blim's independent doing. :)

4. Quaz51

Regular

5. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I think you've made your point, and it's quite convincing. So, I wonder if someone could corner Frankie on GAF about this issue...

And I think we have to apologize to one, he was right about this.

#285 Laa-Yosh, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  6. Dave Glue

Regular

NO ITS NOT MY HDTV GIVES NO JAGGIES YOU HATER

That would explain what I'm seeing - Halo3 looks lower res than other top-tied 360 games (like Bioshock, although the environments are quite different so it's a little tough to compare). It has a very "fuzzy" look to it, similar to say, Transformers - like it's using a constant back buffer lower than the screen res (which I assume is basically what you're saying, not really up to speed on the rendering methods).

But jeez - 1164x640 - that's less pixels than 1024x768! I think if someone said around the 360' launch that Halo3 would be running at a res lower than 1024x768, with no AA & bilinear filtering, and still only reach 30fps - they would have been dismissed as insane. I just would have expected more on a technical level after 3 years.

7. Quaz51

Regular

it's ~1138x640 not 1164x640 :wink:

8. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Quaz, could you also check the 480p mode too? I'm wondering if they're still rendering at 640p or doing 480p.

9. kyleb

Veteran

Thanks for the pic Quaz. I thought it looked a bit low res but I just recently got a different TV so I'm not quite accustomed guestimating the rendering resolution yet, but that pic pretty well settles it.

And Al, I checked 480p earlier today just to see if they might of gone for a lower rendering resolution with AA there, but best I can tell it was only softer due to downsampling.

10. Quaz51

Regular

it's more difficult because with 480p input I have overscan on my TV ("just scan" mode is only for 1080p et 720p input) but i know the percentage of overscan (with test pattern). I can do it but tomorrow

11. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Thanks guys. :)

12. Quaz51

Regular

just a last picture (created with Mspaint :D ) to explain that:
    one step aliasing = always one native pixel high (provided the edge isn't inclined more that 45°)

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Halo3nativereso4.jpg

PS: sorry once again for my english, i'm french and i speak english very bad :oops:

13. broodjeaap

Newcomer

lol how do people come up with this crap...
    The amount of hops in jagged lines has NOTHING to do with the resolution its being rendered at.
    The little formula that was made up is bullcrap and calculates an almost random number (depending on witch line you choose to us it with, and how much pixels you take from that line).
    And even then, some one decided to add the number 720 to the formula, how the hell is that relevant to the whole thing.

Now I just bumped in to this thread and just laughed, but I would like to know how people figured out this formula, could someone explain it?

14. kyleb

Veteran

The preface to your question makes for a rather poor start here.

15. broodjeaap

Newcomer

Yeah I thought about that, but its insane that this went on for 12 pages and more then a month.

16. Dave Glue

Regular

So...you don't understand the method, but you're sure it's "crap" and you're "laughing at it".

If you want it explained, read further back.

Before you want to slam something, it's probably best to understand it first, less you come off looking like a complete imbecile.

17. Strange

Veteran

Obviously some guy from N4G or some other website coming to bash this thread that has no idea of the background of most of the people here.
    I would suggest to ignore this post and continue analyzing :D

go on... nothing to see here

PS. Great info, thanks for the screenshots and the analysis.

18. Dave Glue

Regular

Why? It's in the technical forum, and the information is obviously closely guarded by developers (or publishers/MS) so it's not as simple as asking them what resolution the game runs at. Thankfully Quaz donated his time and skill to cut through the BS and show us what resolution these games are actually running at. If you don't care, then why the fuck are you reading this?

Oh wait - you didn't. You just skipped to the last page to announce to basically say "LOL I DUNNO GET IT WTF LOL".

No one is saying this has a large impact on the games you want to play - but it should hardly be shocking that the technical merits of games for a particular platform are discussed on a technical forum dedicated to 3d video hardware.

You're off to one hell of a start here.

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

As a keen 3D technology forum, a lot of forum members are pretty clued up on 3D rendering, and Quaz51's investigations are very appropriate and informative. In a 1:1 display, he's counting the number of steps in a line where each step is one rendered pixel, and dividing that by the number of screen pixels, to determine the rendered pixel:screen pixel ratio.

His findings show quite accurately what resolution H3 (and other investigated titles on both platforms) is rendered at.

At this point, I hope you have the decency to both accept the findings and apologize for your outburst. Otherwise if you just want to poo-poo technical investigations on this technical forum, you won't be staying here very long ;)

20. broodjeaap

Newcomer

Oke maybe I went on a rant there, sorry about that.

But this is one thing that confused the hell out of me.

[​IMG]

Where does the 18 pixels come from?
    If you count them horizontally you get something around 240 (16 hops x 15 pixels per hop) so this would be 720/240x16 = 48.
    If it's 18 pixels per hop then...
    and vertically doesn't make any sense at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.