The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

The screenshot tool outputs 1080p (mentioned on bungie.net). No idea on AA.

2. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

How do you explain the screenshots released with reviews two days ago? Most of them (with the exception of shots created with the builtin tool) are 1280*720p native resolution, with an obvious lack of AA and AF. Are these supposed to be a new kind of bullshot then?

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/734/734817/img_4911249.html

3. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Well..those screenshots don't have post processing motion blur (btw..they don't use any velocity buffer as only camera movements generate blur)

4. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

Someone said there's no motion blur in the game at all... and it makes 30fps a lot more noticeable then in Bioshock and Gears...

5. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

Looks at least as good, if not better, then HS, though... ;)

6. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

By the way I've been thinking about the technology issues with Halo3, and realized that Halo1 and 2 weren't really technology showcases for the first Xbox either...

7. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

I trust my eyes more than what ppl say, halo3 has 'camera' motion blur.
    They probably read back the depth from the z buffer, from it they derive a world space position of that point and they apply the camera matrix from the previous frame(s)
    After that they project it to screen space and they compute a velocity vector for that pixel of the fly and they blur accordingly.

8. Quaz51

Regular

this screenshots are probably created with screenshot tool
    the game is not 720p, it's 640p, i'm sure, i checked and counted 5 or 6 times on various photos

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

What game would you say pushed the Xbox hardware, Laa-Yosh?

It's pretty subtle I think. You have to turn really quickly to get the effect. In Blim's (Gamersyde) 10 minute Halo 3 video, one can pause and see definite motion blur -> background trees blurred whereas the assault rifle is clear.

10. 22psi

Veteran

True but that's not going to stop B3D! :lol:

Halo games are all about balanced/awesome gameplay, multiplayer, and story.

11. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

But why couldn't it be about technology as well?

12. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

To me Halo1/2 were technical showcases, when I played them I thought they were gorgeous

13. archangelmorph

Veteran

Amen to that..

14. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

From what I've seen, Riddick and Doom3 would be the first contenders.

15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

mm... Oh yeah, forgot about Riddick. I thought that was better than Doom 3 in that the frame rate was a bit smoother IIRC. I only played the demo, but it seemed like they were doing a bit more too with bloom/post-processing compared to Doom 3.

The cut-scenes in Halo 2 were pretty amazing to me at the time (though I still think Mech Assault 2 had the best show-case for characters in theirs :p).

16. TheChefO

Banned

Agree on 1 ... 2 on the other hand was horrid. Worse than the first IMO.

h3 I'd put in the middle. It isn't leading edge like h1 was, but it isn't embarassing like h2 was.

17. MJP

MJP
    Regular

I concur with nAo on this one, there's definitely some post-processing motion blur but only from camera movements. When I was playing the game early on I was watching the NPC animations and noticing how there was no blur, but the blurring is quite obvious when you rotate the camera very quickly or stare at the ground while running.

18. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

About Halo:CE and Halo 2 technology

Halo:CE was a technological showpiece back in 2001. It sported extensive pixel shader effects, bump/normal mapping, per pixel lighting effects, had complex materials with intricate detail texturing on surfaces and it had large maps that take advantage of the disc+HDD for content streaming. It was above anything else found in the console space and gave many PC games a run for their money. In fact, I can't remember any PC FPS predating Halo that supported more or better technical features.

Halo 2, on the other hand, I agree, wasn't all that impressive in-game, I concede, when you consider what the competition proposed on the Xbox (let alone on PC). With that said, the first version of the Halo 2 engine, the one demo'ed at E3, with the volumetric shadows implemented would have been impressive in-game, in fact real-time cutscenes in Halo 2 looked really good, save for the texture poping glitche due to some caching issues they had in the final build. It's clear that the Halo 2 renderer was pretty advanced (shadow buffers, normal mapping, per pixel effects, volumetric shadows, etc.) It's just that in-game, the result wasn't as impressive as Halo:CE was back in the day, and only cut-scene looked really impressive with respect to other high-end Xbox games.

In any case, it would be unfair today to dismiss Halo:CE as technologically unremarkable, while it was in fact a fairly impressive demonstartion of the Xbox hardware capabilities during the early days of the console. Halo 2 might be more of a moderated prowess on the technological front, that other other hand can indeed be argued, even today. Nonetheless, this latter game engine was fairly advandced and did some impressive stuff, albeit mostly during cutscenes (hence why its technological advancement can be argued.)

19. Mintmaster

Veteran

Are you sure those photos are from the retail build of the final game and not some earlier build or the beta?

It makes no sense for there to be so many native 720p shots without AA, especially if the screenshot tool outputs 1080p and/or has AA like every other game.

On the other hand, if Alstrong is right about Halo using two 32bpp render targets (though I can't understand what they'd need them for), 1164x640 makes perfect sense. Very disappointing, though.

20. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Things can change I guess. :p In their presentation they were talking about another method of achieving a higher dynamic range by rendering the scene with different exposures (ala HDR photography).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.